Delta realignment

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
michael707767 said:
Know what, there are right. Delta does own the code. And Delta chose to sign a contract with the Delta pilots giving them rights to a large portion of that code. They did not have to do that. But they did. Deal with it.

There lies the rub Michael. Get out your contract and look at it. Delta signed an agreement with ALPA, not the "Delta pilots". The RJDC lawsuit is against ALPA, not the "Delta pilots". See the difference?

JoeMerchant said:
There lies the rub Michael. Get out your contract and look at it. Delta signed an agreement with ALPA, not the "Delta pilots". The RJDC lawsuit is against ALPA, not the "Delta pilots". See the difference?

Actually it says "between the airline pilots in the service of Delta Inc, as represented by the Air Line Pilots Association."

Represented by does not mean controlled by. ALPA works for us, not the other way around.

Last edited:
JoeMerchant said:
Because it affects me. It's a very simple concept Michael. ALPA represents BOTH of us, therefor when it goes to the table, it has to represent me too. While DALPA may make the decisions, legally only ALPA exists.

Thats not true. ALPA represents us, just like a lawyer. My lawyer does not tell me what do to or what to negotiate. He works for me. I tell him what I want and what to negotiate for. Same for ALPA.

If being represented by ALPA limits what I can do and or negotiate for, then what possible reason would I, or you, have for being in ALPA? Oh, and did you invite the Delta pilots or the ASA pilots to the table when you were negotiating your last contract? Didn't think so.

PS. I know you disagree. Hence the lawsuit. My bet is that I will be proven right. And if not, I will respect the decision of the court. Then I will demand my pilot group leave ALPA. I won't let my pilot group be harmed by membership in a national union. If you think ALPA is not right for you, why have you stayed?

Last edited:
michael707767 said:
Actually it says "between the airline pilots in the service of Delta Inc, as represented by the Air Line Pilots Association."

Represented by does not mean controlled by. ALPA works for us, not the other way around.

Michael,
We are both supposed to be REPRESENTED by ALPA. This is a DFR lawsuit against ALPA. Nothing more, nothing less. DFR is Duty of Fair REPRESENTATION. This lawsuit will decide whether or not ALPA is representing us fairly.

ALPA works for us also Michael. So when ALPA signs an agreement with our parent corporation, that affects us negatively, without our elected representatives present, we have a problem.

Joe

michael707767 said:
Thats not true. ALPA represents us, just like a lawyer. My lawyer does not tell me what do to or what to negotiate. He works for me. I tell him what I want and what to negotiate for. Same for ALPA.

Actually I agree somewhat. The analogy I like to use is having the husband and wife use the same lawyer in a divorce. Definite conflict of interest.

michael707767 said:
If being represented by ALPA limits what I can do and or negotiate for, then what possible reason would I, or you, have for being in ALPA? Oh, and did you invite the Delta pilots or the ASA pilots to the table when you were negotiating your last contract? Didn't think so.

I guess you assumed I was a CMR pilot? I am an ASA pilot. However, to address your point, I do think there should have been ASA,CMR, and Delta pilots at the table negotiating a common contract with Delta management. Obviously, that is now water under the bridge. There is no going back. You're wrong in thinking that I don't think this should have been done with my fellow CMR and DAL pilots. We could have been a force to reckon with back in 2000. Now all three groups have been neutered. You will fall further than we will however.

michael707767 said:
PS. I know you disagree. Hence the lawsuit. My bet is that I will be proven right. And if not, I will respect the decision of the court. Then I will demand my pilot group leave ALPA. I won't let my pilot group be harmed by membership in a national union. If you think ALPA is not right for you, why have you stayed?

Because I actually believe in the concept of a truly NATIONAL UNION. ALPA hasn't lived up to that expectation however and thus the lawsuit. We would all be better off if we had a truly NATIONAL UNION.

Joe

JoeMerchant said:
Actually I agree somewhat. The analogy I like to use is having the husband and wife use the same lawyer in a divorce. Definite conflict of interest.

I guess you assumed I was a CMR pilot?

Because I actually believe in the concept of a truly NATIONAL UNION. ALPA hasn't lived up to that expectation however and thus the lawsuit. We would all be better off if we had a truly NATIONAL UNION.

If it was legal and both parties knew about it before signing up to use that lawyer, I don' t you can complain afterward.

Sorry, I did assume you were a CMR pilot. My bad.

And actually I agree with you. But only IF ALPA were a truly national union, with a national contract and a national list. But ALPA is not and will never be. That horse left the gate a long, long time ago. Since we are not a truly national union, I believe each MEC is its own entity for the purposes of negotiating, with ALPA national only providing support. I know my negotiators were all Delta pilots, not lawyers from national.

michael707767 said:
If it was legal and both parties knew about it before signing up to use that lawyer, I don' t you can complain afterward.

The problem, is I don't think ALPA acted "legally" in terms of DFR. Hence why I am complaining and why it will be decided in court.

It means commuting to and from work is going to be an even bigger b!tch than it has been. I really do appreciate all the rides Comair has given me over the summer and you are always welcome on my flights as far as I am concerned, but I guess it's time to get a place in Cincy for now.

Yeah, ditto for me. You guys are always welcome to jumpseat on my C-172, anytime! (As long as it's okay with the Captain of course).

Latest resources

Back