Delta ready to void pilots contract.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MedFlyer said:
And from what I've heard, attempts to renegotiate DL's debt and aircraft leases are not going well.

don't know about the debt, but the renegotiation on aircraft leases is going very well.

MedFlyer said:
The caveat to that "wild profitability" is assuming that DL gets all the cuts it needs. .

so if DALPA only gives say 150 mil a year instead of 325 mil a year, Delta would be just short of wildly profitable, and just have solid profits. I can live with that.

Wildly profitable?

I doubt that DAL will be "wildly profitable" in 2007, which is for all practical matters, one year away.

According to this article, DAL just reported a 1.13 BILLION dollar loss.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051111/delta.html?.v=2

I don't even think DAL could be at all profitable by 2007, much less "wildly" like Whitehurst claims. But he is a Harvard MBA, so he is much smarter than I am. (Jeff Skilling of Enron was another smart Harvard MBA)

time will tell, but I wouldn't go around high-fiving each other and having parties to celebrate the yet-to-be-seen wildly profitable 2007, just because Whitehurst said so.

One thing at a time. Right now Delta is bankrupt and bleeding. While oil may "go down" it is still high (he11 is hot but it went down 100 degrees, that don't make it cold). I doubt oil will ever be sub-$50 again, ever.

~~~^~~~ said:
Yes, even with First Officers that he had flown with objecting to his reinstatement at the MEC meeting!

A month later Duane Woerth was photographed having cake and ice cream with Continental Scabs as he welcomed them back into ALPA without a penny of back dues.

To his credit, the former Lorenzo pilot at ASA has done a good job as Chairman of the Security Committee. I haven't flown with him because I swore I would never, ever, do it again after one leg. (The Company should look at my sick bank before they ever schedule us together) None the less, I believe in redemption and see his work as evidence that he has found his way.

Sorry.

He's still a scab. Like you, I'll never fly with him.

General Lee said:
At the time we could afford it. Leo Mullin sat there and signed the contract himself.

Bye Bye--General Lee
Well that Harvard trained putz described it as a "new cost paradigm" that American, Northwest, Continental and United would subsequently exceed. Unfortunately Leo's "case study" (since he had nearly ZERO real world experience at running an airline) failed to work out. He was the Lone Ranger. The next deal was American's and it established pay rates at half (or less) of Delta's rates for narrow body equipment.

Then, Delta Management. continued to arrogantly brag that costs did not matter. The strength of the Delta network meant that their costs could be 25% higher than their competition & their strong cash position (bolstered with a lot of credit) woudl see them through. (I could not believe my ears). The pilots ate this crap, believed that they were uniquely qualified to be Delta pilots and somehow Delta was immune to economic reality.

This is the first real Delta pay cut that will be fully felt, since the rapid seniority progression that buffered the last blow has played out. It is uglier now. Delta will probably void the contract. The union will beat its chest, but they know striking would take the airline out.

There is a proposal on the table for the Delta MEC to buy back RJ flying for sub Comair and ASA rates. Delta might be buying it, or strongly considering it. ASA new hire training went from 40 a month to zero very recently as a direct result of direction (or lack of direction) from their neighbors three blocks east on Virginia Avenue. Also enclosed in ALPA's proposal is a reduction in furloughee benefits if Delta will drop its request to put 79 seaters at DCI.

Of course ALPA is not bothering to tell us about this, we have to get it from Court documents.

~~~^~~~

Last edited:
Fins, you don't have a clue. First of all, though some guys have mitigated the effects of the last pay cut, they did it by flying their ass off. Loss of quality of life is a concession too. The vast majority have suffered greatly since the last pay cut. I have flown a little more, but am on track to make 30% less this year than last.

Second, there is no proposal to buy back RJ flying. There is a proposal on the table to negotiate pay rates for an aircraft which under our current scope we would be flying anyway. We are not buying back anything, we are protecting the scope we have. You can spin it all you want, but those are the facts.

Last, why would ALPA bother telling you anything? Are the ASA pilots a party to the Delta bankruptcy? Is this your contract being negotiated? Are you even owned by Delta anymore? No.

~~~^~~~ said:
This is the first real Delta pay cut, since now the rapid seniority progression that buffered the last blow is played out. It is uglier now. Delta will probably void the contract. The union will beat its chest, but they know striking would take the airline out.

There is a proposal on the table for the Delta MEC to buy back RJ flying for sub Comair and ASA rates. Delta might be buying it, or strongly considering it. ASA new hire training went from 40 a month to zero very recently as a direct result of direction (or lack of direction) from their neighbors three blocks east on Virginia Avenue. Also enclosed in ALPA's proposal is a reduction in furloughee benefits if Delta will drop its request to put 79 seaters at DCI.

Of course ALPA is not bothering to tell us about this, we have to get it from Court documents.

~~~^~~~

"Are you even owned by Delta anymore? No."

Since this is indeed true, ASA no longer should have any beef with the desires of Delta, as long as the requirements of the Skywest contract is met!

So Finns, I guess you have to go talk to your new master!

michael707767 said:
Second, there is no proposal to buy back RJ flying.
When a MEC undercuts your current rates to try to secure flying that is currently be flown by CRJ700's, what do you call it?
michael707767 said:
Last, why would ALPA bother telling you anything? Are the ASA pilots a party to the Delta bankruptcy?
As a matter of fact, yes, we are a party, we got the letter also.
michael707767 said:
Is this your contract being negotiated?
Yes, as a matter of fact it is. Getting undercut by mainline is not helping.
michael707767 said:
Last, why would ALPA bother telling you anything?
Because I am an ALPA member, with the same representational rights as you have, who's flying was negotiated down from 105 seats to 50 seats, with a few grandfathered 70 seat jets while our union was negotiating with our employer. The effect of that misrepresentation is the subject of current litigation.

ALPA making a move to scope and transfer flying to their "preferred" pilots after having been sued over the issue is like someone accused of theft, robbing a little old lady, on camera. If the RJDC let this happen, then filed a motion for injunctive relief, wouldn't that be interesting?

The RJDC litigation was filed in a timely fashion to protect pre C2K scope, which is pretty darn relevant given the size airplane that the Delta MEC is making a grab for.

It is fascinating to watch a union which has been hijacked by a narrowly focused political group, make such poorly considered moves given the possible outcome if they lose this one in Court. ALPA doesn't have the money to buy their way out (like they have in previous Delta MEC blunders) and lacks the political will to actually fix the alter ego problem.

For all I care, Delta can have the CRJ200 configured with 40 seats. In fact it was offered to you, but back then you were far too superior to fly anything with the word "Regional" associated with it.... it is only recently that the arbitrary line in the sand was moved. I hired in under Delta, under the pre C2K scope, so in my view, that is where the line in the sand is. I guess you must feel the line in the sand is where ever you draw it today - to heck with the ALPA members who are on the other side of it.

At any rate, with Delta losing over a Billion a quarter after bankruptcy it may not matter to either of us. See you in line at the next airline job. Thankfully my job #2 is working out well and this representational battle is becoming more and more of a matter of intellectual curiosity. ALPA might get away with it, they might not - it is fascinating to watch play out. Outside of Companies like Enron, you just don't see this sort of cowboy crap with big money in the real world.

Last edited:
Fins gets so emotional when confronted by people with REASON. He always adds "see you at the unemployment line......" Can't wait. Anyway, the 100 seat rate was not put forth by our MEC, but rather the company with a judge behind them. We will undoubtably ask for more on those jets, since they are Jetblue's rates, but Jetblue gets 150% after 70 hours. Even AWA/USAir has an E190 12 year rate at $98 an hour.

And, if you have noticed with Comair, Delta thinks your rates are too high also. The only reason you still have decent rates, so far, is because you are not owned by us anymore, and SkyWest and Ron Reber are trying to figure out how to shaft you guys. If I were you, I would try to figure out how to blame it on the Delta pilots.......oh, I mean our MEC...... Guess what? When Mama does poorly, everyone below does too. But wait, Ron Reber (SkyWest CFO) thinks they are wonderful, even though he freely admits that they are "insulated from high fuel costs"----which means we at Delta pay for the extra gas costs......You would be the next Indy Air otherwise.

Bye Bye---General Lee

General,

I understand that you have "Comair" on the brain but, you need to edit that post and replace Comair with ASA.

For the record, Fins is an ASA pilot.

Latest resources

Back