• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta New Hires

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why would there suddenly be excess Compass E175s available for new West Coast routes like LAX hourly to SFO and SFO to SEA? Could it be 717s moving into DTW? /QUOTE]

DL moved the Compass jets from LGA to LAX and gave the LGA shuttle to someone else. Compass has a very minimal presence in DTW.

Btw, those E175s are just a bit smaller than your 735s, and those 735s probably fly between those cities with 40+ million people, too. Plus, the E175s have first class seats that are more comfortable than yours.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I have the Gen on ignore for awhile, then turn him back on and see this.

I love it.

He's actually justifying E175 flying between two huge cities and comparing a regional jet to a full size narrow body? Laughable. I can see DL frequent fliers going for the minimal first class on an E175...but in the end, it's still an uncomfortable regional jet. The only good thing for the px is it's a short flight, unlike some 3+ hours flights out there under Delta Connection.

I love the billboard at the entrance of LAX....first class seats on every flight between LAX and SFO. Small print under the bottom right 'provided by outsourced Delta Connection planes'. Very cool.

There's been a lot of new Delta flying announced recently (just like this LAX-SFO), but a ton of it is just on outsourced partners. Not sure that's 'growth', but whatever.

The General never disappoints on the Village Idiot entertainment. And Yes Wave, he really is that dumb. Just like when he post the quote below as OYS.

Red,

I have never defended the RJs doing our flying, but the Ejets aren't RJs, they are as comfortable as a mainline plane and they can carry rollaboards in the cabin.....and no middle seats like on your 737 and my 767. Don't knock it til you tried it.

Red also doesn't understand that as DL receives new planes, like 717s, bigger RJs are either bumped down to fly outgoing 50 seated routes, or new routes that may eventually have mainline planes on them. With a $1.3 billion profit in ONE quarter, obviously the mainline planes are doing well on current routes, but as 717s come online, maybe they will replace those E175s on those West Coast routes, and DL will capitalize on those routes with Corndog coach or a worse quality first class service. You gotta capitalize on certain situations, and if you don't have enough spare mainline planes available, larger RJs may do for awhile. It's more comfortable for business people compared to a Corndog 733.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
I also understand that your new 717's are pretty much just replacing your DC-9's (plus or minus a couple of airframes). I just read the article about the last one being retired next month. I hate to tell you Gen, your pretty much just replacing planes with anything new that comes on the ramp. Face it, Delta really has no growth on the horizon (just replacements and moving airframes around the system). That's why you keep talking about the retirements. That's really all you HAVE to talk about. When does that start again? FIVE years from now? I wonder what growth SW might have by then? Hmmmm.

Hate to tell you, but it doesn't beat a 300 that's been paid off for 10 years and is easily twice as comfortable because of the width alone. So you enjoy making those lease payments along with the massive pension debt that's hanging over Delta's head. In the meantime we'll continue to fly our fleet that's 85% paid in full. Very few leases. Oh and NO regional jets or pension obligations. See how that really affects the balance sheet of the two companies? Sure you do.

And Bill,
I've ridden on an E175 and it's still a regional jet. SLIGHTLY better than a CRJ700..but not by much. And travelers know that. The Delta billboard at LAX is a joke. Put a real plane on it if you think you can compete. RA obviously likes to use the outsourced labor to try and make the numbers work. LA has 4 million people. SF has roughly 2 million and you guys aren't flying a mainline plane between those two? It's just makes DALPA look like they've been played, again and again like crack addict. Review Wave's definition of sellouts. This route is THE prime example.

Red,

Incorrect. The 717 is smaller than the Dc9-50, and more comparable to the DC-9-30. Last year DL received 14 MD90s, which were to replace the DC95s, but they were kept on longer because of the continuing profits. 17 DC95s will be parked by Jan 6th, and the MD90s are now done with their mods in GSO and ready to replace them. The 717s will bump large RJs and recapture old mainline routes.

Btw, the MD90s supposedly cost between $8-9 million each, including the engines. The 717 lease agreements were a FANTASTIC deal, you know that. The DC95s were paid off long ago, well before your 733s. And, $1.3 billion quarters will pay off debt, pensions, and planes. Good luck to you.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
I also understand that your new 717's are pretty much just replacing your DC-9's (plus or minus a couple of airframes). I just read the article about the last one being retired next month. I hate to tell you Gen, your pretty much just replacing planes with anything new that comes on the ramp. Face it, Delta really has no growth on the horizon (just replacements and moving airframes around the system). That's why you keep talking about the retirements. That's really all you HAVE to talk about. When does that start again? FIVE years from now? I wonder what growth SW might have by then? Hmmmm.

Hate to tell you, but it doesn't beat a 300 that's been paid off for 10 years and is easily twice as comfortable because of the width alone. So you enjoy making those lease payments along with the massive pension debt that's hanging over Delta's head. In the meantime we'll continue to fly our fleet that's 85% paid in full. Very few leases. Oh and NO regional jets or pension obligations. See how that really affects the balance sheet of the two companies? Sure you do.

And Bill,
I've ridden on an E175 and it's still a regional jet. SLIGHTLY better than a CRJ700..but not by much. And travelers know that. The Delta billboard at LAX is a joke. Put a real plane on it if you think you can compete. RA obviously likes to use the outsourced labor to try and make the numbers work. LA has 4 million people. SF has roughly 2 million and you guys aren't flying a mainline plane between those two? It's just makes DALPA look like they've been played, again and again like crack addict. Review Wave's definition of sellouts. This route is THE prime example.

Red,

Thanks for pointing out our "pension" debt. It's fully funded for the rest of the SHEEPLE here at Delta. I also want to thank all the Southwest pilots and SWAPA for negotiating a pension into their contracts......what's that? You never had a pension? Or negotiated for one? Leaders of the industry? Talk about a sellout....Southwest was the last place anybody went because they never paid a pension or a decent wage or had any real work rules and now you run on here like a petulant child pointing out debt loads? Why didn't you guys stand up and say "pay me a pension!"? Why didn't you stand up and say enough pay for training? If you consider flag ties and leather jackets a victory, have at it.

You got a real set of stones to get on a Delta thread about new hires and pi$$ all over my airline. Dropping bets about growth in five years? Really? You think it matters? When Gary wrings out the fluff out of your contract, you'll once again be the anchor that has dragged this industry down since you were a Wild Turkey spill on Herb's napkin.

That's rich....you talking about growth when all ya got in your future is more 737 replacements. Tell your pipe dream to an AirTran pilot about how awesome the opportunities are there.

Red,

Thanks for pointing out our "pension" debt. It's fully funded for the rest of the SHEEPLE here at Delta. I also want to thank all the Southwest pilots and SWAPA for negotiating a pension into their contracts......what's that? You never had a pension? Or negotiated for one? Leaders of the industry? Talk about a sellout....Southwest was the last place anybody went because they never paid a pension or a decent wage or had any real work rules and now you run on here like a petulant child pointing out debt loads? Why didn't you guys stand up and say "pay me a pension!"? Why didn't you stand up and say enough pay for training? If you consider flag ties and leather jackets a victory, have at it.

You got a real set of stones to get on a Delta thread about new hires and pi$$ all over my airline. Dropping bets about growth in five years? Really? You think it matters? When Gary wrings out the fluff out of your contract, you'll once again be the anchor that has dragged this industry down since you were a Wild Turkey spill on Herb's napkin.

That's rich....you talking about growth when all ya got in your future is more 737 replacements. Tell your pipe dream to an AirTran pilot about how awesome the opportunities are there.

Hey Billdo!

How far is your cubicle from Genitals? OK, now that you have read this, you can put be back on ignore.

Red,

You need to do your homework a little more Bill. It wasn't about the pension like it was at the ALPA carriers like Delta. You realized all those guys received massive stock options right? You know, the ones that split like four times with a strike price in the single digits? You do understand how options work don't you Bill? Those guys all retired multi-millions at the same time Delta was gutting your highly touted pension.

The stock options they received helped them prosper in Southwest's success, your pension helped strangle Delta's profits. Is that the pension your talking about? Yea, that worked out great didn't it?

Sorry I hijacked your Delta hiring thread. I honestly think that's great for your company and the industry as a whole. But I have to call BS when the Gen steps in with his big growth mantra and it's on a regional jet. I think you'd probably agree with me on that one. I like the leather jacket and flag tie vs. the Riverboat Jacket/Hat and plenty of anal captains....so to each there own.

Hasn't this thread been done a 100 times??

Back to hiring- how do delta pilots feel about hiring pilots with no pic?

Latest resources

Back