Delta might offer CRJ70's to Mainline

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

I heard Friday in the ATL chief pilot's office that Delta may want some relief on scope and might make an offer to Dalpa to allow the furloughed pilots the ability to fly 30 or 40 NEW CRJ-70's for mainline---(none of which would be the 57 on order for DCI) maybe with a different operating certificate---like Song. (Call it "Dance"----so you have Song and Dance) Anyways, I think that would be great for the furloughs, and it would get them back quicker. The guy I talked to there said that they would have to negotiate a pay rate---which would be competitive with Comair's. Well, atleast we could get the furloughs back faster, and with the surge in retirements at Mainline, hopefully the return will be quick.
I think that 70 seat CRJ is pretty slick.

Bye Bye---General Lee:D :cool: :eek:

Suddenly, flying a CRJ doesn't look so bad. Funny how folks change their opinion when it suits them best...

I never said flying a CRJ was bad, I happen to like them and have jumped on them quite a bit to Florida. The key point here is that our furloughed pilots MIGHT have a chance to fly again--sooner than later---and not have to beg Comair for a job they won't give them. If this does happen, it will help Delta alittle, and help our furloughed pilots. Sounds good to me.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool:

checkessential said:
Suddenly, flying a CRJ doesn't look so bad. Funny how folks change their opinion when it suits them best...

Where do you guys come up with this crap? Most of us have flown these types of airplanes before. Remember, you guys are not exclusive to having "commuter" experience. Some of us actually flew for a commuter and then moved on.

GFYS

Or better yet,
How about Delta MEC relaxes the 57 70-seater limit in turn for furloughed Delta pilots retaining their seniority number while flying them? The aircraft would be much more profitable and the end result is the same... or would that cause an ego problem?
The RJ's are profitable greatly because they don't have to pay the rediculous main-line rates for the pilots. If DAL could pay the same rate as Comair/ASA pays, then your theory might be a possibility, however I don't see that happening. Don't forget the astronomical cost of training, spare-parts inventory, and legal costs, not to mention the costs if they would spin-off a whole new airline. But hey, Delta has already been successful at driving a wedge between union groups, why not go after this bait too?
Although, with the latest legal ruling, if Delta is required to recall pilots without having anything for them to fly, taking deep losses on 70-seaters may be less devastating than taking deeper losses paying pilots to do nothing. Of course DALPA cares little about the financial welfare of the airline, or else they'd realize that even-though RPK's are nearing 9-11 numbers, the prices pax are paying for the tickets are half what they were. Hiring back 1063 furloughed pilots instantly increases annual payroll by $100 million, and that number doesn't take into account training and other misc. costs. The airline already hemorraged $1.3 billion last year, and ALPA seems determined to increase that number for 2003. This is horrible news for Delta and could be the next step to follow United into the inevitable. Could this be why unions always fail at running airlines?

I give up! I can't keep responding to the same ridiculous and uninformed posts over and over... As a counter to Miller's nonsense, please read all the other posts relating to pilots pay, recall, contracts and such...

Heck, now I know how those JetBlue guys must feel every time someone tries to tell them they are not paying for their A320s.

Miller, do some research and come back later.

GFYS.......:D

....we're not all as dumb as we look....:D

Some of us actually flew for a commuter and then moved on.

Let me be the first to welcome you back to the "commuters."

Anything that helps to increase my 70 seat pay rate will be appreciated ! I'm sure DALPA would never accept the current 70 seat pay rates so the debate would only help ASA during its contract negotiations.

Assuming this actually comes to fruition then Leo would have accomplished the following:

1. Placing mainine pilots into RJ's at something slightly better then regional pay.

2. A common type flown by mainline and DCI.

3. Increasing the number of 70 seaters in the Delta system also creating a net increase in allowable DCI block hours.

4. Can you guess the last one ??????

Latest resources

Back