Delta Flow-Up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The pain hasn't even begun yet.

It would be better to have this conversation sometime in 2015.

Once sufficient distance is achieved from the close date of the merger, Delta will draw down significantly and there will be furloughs. Once people start retiring again in 2012, it will take several years to get through all the recalls.

I hate to crap on anyone's hope, but consolidation will continue and drawdown of ASM's will continue throughout the entire industry. The employment picture in aviation is, and will continue to be, dismal for quite some time.

BTW, JMHO.

runninbeyotch

One minute there, Senor.........

The Mid-Atlantic pilots (who were previously mainline before they were furloughed) were considered "Furloughed" - which is what triggered your ability to fly at Mid-Atlantic. The reason they were stapled to the bottom of the arbitrated list was that they did NOT bring an active mainline job to the merger.

{{ running for cover }}

:smash:

Mid-Atlantic wasn't even an airline. The aircraft were all on the Usair operating certificate. This is the gyst for the difference of opinion between the East and West.

Once sufficient distance is achieved from the close date of the merger, Delta will draw down significantly and there will be furloughs. Once people start retiring again in 2012, it will take several years to get through all the recalls.

I hate to crap on anyone's hope, but consolidation will continue and drawdown of ASM's will continue throughout the entire industry. The employment picture in aviation is, and will continue to be, dismal for quite some time.

BTW, JMHO.

runninbeyotch

What you don't take into account is the eventual rise in domestic traffic here in the US. I read reports stating 1 billion passengers will be carried domestically each year by the year 2011. This recession may be short lived, and that will probably ring true. If that is the case, RJs will not rule the skies, and legacy carriers will not compete with growing LCCs with those RJs. Add retirements (not everyone will leave at age 65), and hiring will pick up for the legacies. Hopefully that will be my ticket to a better life than my current one.

Last edited:

BTW, JMHO.

runninbeyotch

I agree, even if that means my own prospects are especially bleak. Which they are.

What you don't take into account is the eventual rise in domestic traffic here in the US. I read reports stating 1 billion passengers will be carried domestically each year by the year 2011. This recession may be short lived, and that will probably ring true. If that is the case, RJs will not rule the skies, and legacy carriers will not compete with growing LCCs with those RJs. Add retirements (not everyone will leave at age 65), and hiring will pick up for the legacies. Hopefully that will be my ticket to a better life than my current one.

I hope you are right.

I agree, even if that means my own prospects are especially bleak. Which they are.

Sometimes hope is the most crippling emotion to have. Nothing has felt better than finally letting this mess go.

I've decided to go back to school and obtain a degree that is actually usable (damn UND "Aeronautical Science" crap) and try to build something resembling a stable life. If I have to decide in or out in 10 years, I'll drive off that bridge when I come to it.

Good luck to all.

BTW, JMHO.

runninbeyotch

You are absoltely correct. I would be very nervous at Compass these days.

You are absoltely correct. I would be very nervous at Compass these days.

Compared with ASA? Are you kidding me? Listen McRonald, you need to get your facts straight. The Compass guys have a spot at Delta EVENTUALLY, and you EVENTUALLY have to get off your arse and clean the stalls. And I saw you sneak a ranch sauce dip packet.....don't you dip urinal cakes in those again!

Bye Bye--General Lee

The Compass guys have a spot at Delta EVENTUALLY...

Even if that's true, how do you expect them to eat prior to said eventuality? Or will their faith in a brighter future with Mother Delta carry them through? And before you say it, I know they knew what they were signing up for, but it still sucks.

Latest resources

Back