• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Flow-Up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If DAL announced furloughs tomorrow the Compass pilots could all be completely flushed to the street; Mesaba would only take on the number that have flowed up to NWA (12-13 I think).

In the event of a flow-down to Compass, Delta pilots should, at the very least, get longevity credit for pay purposes.

A flow-down is a real possibility after the SOC.

Last edited:
How much of a chance do you really think this will be carried out? I find it hard to believe that Delta/NW (now Delta) which have in the past as I remember hired a large percentage of military pilots...

When the next year of hiring occurs, and lets say only 240 are hired in that year, there will be NO military pilots hired? I find it very hard to believe knowing that a substantial part of their pilot group is military...

There were no military in my class.

However, I do agree with you...they are going to build those classes out of a ratio of flows, military, and off the street.

Why even talk about flow through...never flows forward, just back. Plus, DL is going to most likely furlough 2000 pilots in the near future. Who cares.

Why would anyone want a 1000 hour military pilot over a 6000 hour guy with 121 experience in Avros, Saabs, and CRJs, maybe even the E175 if he moved over to Compass?

Nu,

I generally agree with what you wrote and am beginning to accept your conclusion.

I would only point out the regionals recently have achieved some basic scope and if ALPA could build consensus and agree on a common strategy, the profession could be rebuilt under ALPA. In fact, that would be the best way to go forward in an ideal world.

When ALPA took a stand against B Scale, those who advocated B scales created a much worse monster by moving the cheap end of the operation off the property.

The APA's answer is all American Flying will be performed by American's pilots. ALPA's smartest strategists think that is way too expensive to be bargained back. It will be very interesting to see how that plays out.

Heyas Fins,

Sigh...I wish it wasn't so. You and I have discussed this at length, and I believe that we are in agreement about most, if not everything, regarding this issue.

In a perfect world, one-list, achieved via a staple with "super seniority" for those DCI pilots that wish to remain in the highest paying position at the DCI carrier at the time of enactment seemed like a reasonable solution. Throw in a taste of longevity for vacation/benefit accrual and call it done.

My guess is that %90 of the DCIers and about %80 of the mainline guys would buy off on this. But there are personalities that will never let that happen, and unfortunately, it will scuttle the whole idea, and, in fact, will even prevent meaningful dialog on the topic.

The only alternative, IMHO, is a slash and burn strategy. Grab the flying any way possible, which would put many, many DCIers on the street.

Tough cookies, but it's time to start protecting our own.

Nu

Last edited:
Why even talk about flow through...never flows forward, just back. Plus, DL is going to most likely furlough 2000 pilots in the near future. Who cares.

My friends at Delta say there could be some buyouts offered for NWA pilots, and new trip duty rigs for NWA guys too. You don't sound credible.

When the next year of hiring occurs, and lets say only 240 are hired in that year, there will be NO military pilots hired? I find it very hard to believe knowing that a substantial part of their pilot group is military...

Only 85 or so can come from Compass each rolling 12 month period (25% of the pilot group); 108 per year can come from Mesaba (max of nine per month or 10% of their pilot group). If DAL hired 240 pilots, it would probably not be in 12 classes of 20, rather a few much larger classes. lets say they hired 60/month for four months: the first 20 each of those four months would be from Compass, the second nine from Mesaba, and the rest from where ever DAL wants. In this case, 80 of the 240 would be Compass, 36 Mesaba, and 124 off the street. I think that this is far more likely than any of the examples I gave earlier.

Good luck with the slow through fast back. Have you not noticed that they don't work look at eagle. You are also talking about a number of regional's being involed which will just make it that much more of a cluster. Good luck with it.

Latest resources

Back