• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Flow-Up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Even if that's true, how do you expect them to eat prior to said eventuality? Or will their faith in a brighter future with Mother Delta carry them through? And before you say it, I know they knew what they were signing up for, but it still sucks.

they will probably continue eating the same way they are now. Nothing is changing for them.

What you don't take into account is the eventual rise in domestic traffic here in the US. I read reports stating 1 billion passengers will be carried domestically each year by the year 2011. This recession may be short lived, and that will probably ring true. If that is the case, RJs will not rule the skies, and legacy carriers will not compete with growing LCCs with those RJs. Add retirements (not everyone will leave at age 65), and hiring will pick up for the legacies. Hopefully that will be my ticket to a better life than my current one.

Dead on

Even if that's true, how do you expect them to eat prior to said eventuality? Or will their faith in a brighter future with Mother Delta carry them through? And before you say it, I know they knew what they were signing up for, but it still sucks.

No!!! What sucks is watching NWA ALPA negotiate your flying away. Lots of DC-9 FOs, A320 FOs, B747 SOs and others at NWA who would prefer to fly Captain on the EMB175.

Why would anyone want a 1000 hour military pilot over a 6000 hour guy with 121 experience in Avros, Saabs, and CRJs, maybe even the E175 if he moved over to Compass?
Let me start by saying the military screens their pilots pretty stringently and if a person has made the cut there, they likely are in the top 10 to 20% of the pool.

At the legacy carriers it is more likely that the person doing the hiring has a military background and folks like best what they know best and are most comfortable with. Also the military candidates are more likely to have impressive records since the military often has projects their pilots are involved in, not to mention all the officer and leadership training they get. Also, it is nearly impossible to get FAA violations in the military, so flying 4 legs a day, 90 hours a month, for five years gives civilians much more opportunity to get in trouble while waiting for the business cycle to open the doors at major carriers.

I'm civillian and think experience means a lot. But, now having flown with a group that is 90%+ military pilots, I completely understand the bias.

Not to worry though, if you are a civillian. In last year's Air Force Academy class only something like 16 got flight spots. Most of the need for "pilots" are in the UAV programs, which isn't "flight" time.

Military aviation is so scaled back now that there just are not many military pilots available in the job market. Look at Delta's 2007 hiring... it was probably 50/50.

Last edited:
Military aviation is so scaled back now that there just are not many military pilots available in the job market. Look at Delta's 2007 hiring... it was probably 50/50.

I think that's a key point. The supply of military pilots has been dwindling for a while now and will only continue to dwindle, from the looks of it.

Latest resources

Back