• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta crew meals, lack thereof

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just curious but if work rules for FA's and Pilots require a meal to be given and they are short, what do the work rules say in regards to the order which the available meals are awarded?

I'm a little sad to hear this. I'm not being sarcastic here, but, seriously, I had been told by many that the DAL FA's have a much more respectful attitude towards the DAL pilots. This all sounds exactly like NWA. Oh well, yet another thing to prove that we're all the same I guess.

It all depends on the FA. Yesterday I went to ATL and back for a SIM, all FAs were senior mama's so say no more, sit down and STFU. But The week before going home out of JFK non-rev, the NYC FAs were cool. Thy found out I was a pilot going home, made sure they did not charge me for food and gave me the left over crew meal. I was in coach and they almost treated me like I was in first class! So it all depends on the FAs as some are more human than others! But it's always a crap shoot!

I'd rather die a year sooner than eat bean sprouts for the rest of my life. :laugh:

Boys, just keep it up with the steaks, chicken wings and other calorically and saturated fat rich foods You may now think it's funny about minus one year but, if you're on your deathbed, you'd be after every single moment. Bet on it.

NYC FA's are always the least chronologically, dimensionally and personality challenged. LA is probably next. BOS, CVG, MCO and of course ATL...brace for impact.

Just curious but if work rules for FA's and Pilots require a meal to be given and they are short, what do the work rules say in regards to the order which the available meals are awarded?

A few things.
Many eat more than one meal when we are all provided one.
Two, when they are doing turns they only get a meal on one leg, not both. They make sure they all eat on both legs.
Three, sometimes we get meals when we don;t. Err we are planned by the PWA to get meals when they are not.

This also holds true with out food for sale. They will talk among themselves on the inter-phone. What do you guys want, etc.? Take all of the Shrimp Salads and Hummus, etc. Many times taking three and four items each. Then they call us. Hey guys all we have left is the fruit and cheese and one chicken sandwich. What one item do each of you want. They enforce the one item with us, but seem to forget it with each other.

IMHO ... the crew falls under the Command of the Captain. Captains write FO evals, maybe they should be taking brief surveys on the performance of other team members on their airplane.

Either that, or just put a longevity term in every FA's contract. Three year contracts, renewable at the whim of the employer.

Last edited:
Do DAL Capts. brief with the lead FA before the trip? That might be a good time to verify that crew meals were boarded.

I am sure there is some animosity between some FAs and the pilots over who gets a crew meal (pilots) and who gets leftovers from First Class (FAs).

Sounds like a cultural problem within the FA ranks.

Stifler - as others have reported, the FA's are cagey about the number of meals. I don't know how many times I've been told we are eight short, only to be told they found them the instant a Supervisor comes on the scene to resolve the count between catering and the crew.

IMHO if they just did a bag check and nailed everyone who had a couple bottles of company booze (including wine) in their bags, about 90% of the problem would be fixed instantly.

Our FA brief is required by Capt, even on the checklist. However, I think the mentality of most CA that i've flown with is that they feel crew meals are not something at the top of their "priorities", so they don't really need to go badger the A-line about it. Kinda, "If we have crew meals, yay, but if we don't, oh well..."

Heck, if CA is hungry, they just go out and buy a 10 dollar burger, just like that. But for us lowly paid cheap FO, the crew meal could translate a 4 leg day into heaven or hell.

Latest resources

Back