• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Connection Academy...THOUGHTS????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Delta Connection Academy what do you rate it?

• Good

Votes: 45 14.7%
  • Bad

Votes: 207 67.6%
  • Average

Votes: 54 17.6%

• Total voters
Flight school "ads"

CFI'er said:
Such words as "Guaranteed airline interview", "Train now and don't pay back loan until two years after you're hired", "Get the competitive edge", "Learn faster and have fun", "Choose an Academy whose only goal is to get you hired at an airline-sooner than possible anywhere else", "Low interest loans available with no payment required for over 24 months", "Where you train says a lot about where you'll go" "97% of our graduates are hired as First Officers", "0 time to ATP-total 1500 hours $39,950", "We train you. We hire you at 250 hours. Guaranteed" . . . .
Don't forget the classic, "From Zero Time to Airline Cockpit in Nine Months." That one is especially rich.

Good comments and thoughts.

I flew down to Sanford in Spring of 2000 to visit the then "Comair Academy" and go to Sun n Fun.

The students were a mess. Imprinterd T shirts, shorts, and sandals. The only people that looked even 50% presentable as professionals were the instructors. They were friendly, and I got some compliments on the Frasca Sim flight I did, with ILS to a landing. I saw some classes, and witnessed a minute of some FO training with senior instructors.

I came very close to taking my CFI training there and becoming a part of that group that hoped for FO positions. Maybe I'd have a job now if I had done so, but that is more a function of the other choice I made: stay at the field where I took my Instrument and Commercial training.

Part of my decision was the cost of the CFI training: far greater than I thought was warranted. Add to that cost the relocation for one to two years, and the cost of an apartment. It seemed that I could do just as well at home, with far lower costs, become the assistant chief instructor, and fly the navajo across the field for charter experience. I would be well on my way with a job, experience, and be well prepared for Comair.

Since then, a lot has happened, and here I am on the ground. I can't say 100% that wouldn't have been the case if I had attended Comair Academy, though. Truthfully, I would have been relying on the idea of getting the Comair interview, and that isn't a shoo-in proposition. Not every instructor stays for the full 800, and not every student becomes a Comair instructor. I can live with the choice I made, and be happy about it.

I do recall the planes looking a little bit "old" compared to what I had exxpected to see, and the students looked out of place compared to the well groomed instructors. The bell in flight ops was a cute touch, and was rung to celebrate a student accomplishment while I was there.

If you have the dough and the drive, it might be just what you are looking for. Then again, if you are a part of an excellent college program, I would stay where you are.

We've got several CFI's that trained at FSI. They speak highly of that place but are indebted for a long, long time.

Only 6% Of DCA Students Hired

Ask the CFI's that went to FSI why they were not working at FSI as flight instructors? If you read the ads and look at the FSI website, they make it sound as if FSI is your ticket to the airlines as a pilot. I think FSI is like the rest of the "Big Academies" that promise and "GUARANTEE” airline jobs and connections, but are faulty on most accounts when it comes to the number of actual hires with the airlines. Sure, some make it to the right seat, airline pilot slot, but majority do not. How can a school, such as DCA, boast of having the most pilot certificates issued of any school in the world, and have less than, on average, only 3 former "graduate" students a month get hired by the "connection" airlines. Here is DCA’s own written word in the magazine ads and website.

“Even in today’s job market, 97% of our graduates are hired as First Officers!*”

The asterisk * small print at the bottom of ads reads: “* 728 out of 754 students who completed the entire program through August 2003”. Wow, that is fantastic, don’t you know? DCA has been in business since 1987, which is 16 years. If you divide 728 by that 16 years you only get 45.5 students per year, or 3 students per month on average, that graduate. This means less than 6% of their students make it as First Officers. Do you really want to spend all that money to attend DCA, knowing that only 6% or less of the attending students are hired as First Officers?

CFI'er.

Are you trying to say that 12133 (728/6 x 100) students is the total number of students that have ever attended DCA? Because then you get 728 for your 6%.

I have no clue how many attended, but I guess you do have a source for that info. Would you mind sharing it with us? Thanks!

DCA's Own Numbers

It is DCA's own figures from their website and magazine ads. Do the math. They have 16 years of business and have only 754 students that have graduated. That figures out to only, on average, 47 students per year. What I can't seem to find out is what do they mean by "graduate" and "guarantee Interview"?

The Real Question

Found this interesting response on another aviation website. You should consider the cost of an "Academy" before you make that jump.

"My question to you: Can you afford a student loan payment of $600/month and still live, while only earning $1,833/month gross, First Officer's pay? Take home pay is estimated at only $1,166. Take a look at what it will cost you per month on average.

Loan............$600
Car payment..$300
Car Ins.........$300
Apartment.....$500
Food.............$400
Utilities..........$200

Total............$2300

More than likely the example is conservative and it probably will cost you more to live than what I estimated. I did not include monthly items such as clothing, gas, beer, movies, tolls, diapers, A lot depends on base domicile
Where are you going to get the extra $1,184 take home pay per month for living expenses? Is you wife working full time?

Even the loan companies say that a student loan payment per month should not be more that 10% of monthly gross pay. "

Re: DCA's Own Numbers

CFI'er said:
It is DCA's own figures from their website and magazine ads. Do the math. They have 16 years of business and have only 754 students that have graduated. That figures out to only, on average, 47 students per year. What I can't seem to find out is what do they mean by "graduate" and "guarantee Interview"?

yada yada yada... Where does it say 12000 students enrolled in 16 years? I don't see that anywhere.

Re: Re: DCA's Own Numbers

huncowboy said:
yada yada yada... Where does it say 12000 students enrolled in 16 years? I don't see that anywhere.

Where are you getting 12000 from? Math is not my strong suite but 754 x .06 (6%) = 45.24

How could 6% of a number be larger than the original number?

That 754 would be the number of "graduates" who were hired as instructors and logged 800 dual given at slave wages. Who were good little robots, who never spoke up when they saw something done wrong or saw a student getting screwed, who played the game all for an early interview.

No, math isn't your strong point. CFI'er is saying that 754 graduates is 6% of total students since 1987. 754 is 6% of roughly 12,000. 754/.06=12,567. Again, where does it say that 12,000 students enrolled since 1987?

CFI'er: I am indeed living on a FO salary and making my loan payment. Your figures are wildly exaggerated. Here's what I spend and how I make it...

Salary is roughly $1700/mo. plus per diem. Lowest take home around $1700, sometimes more.

Loan......................$400 ($50K loan)
Car payment..........$0
Insurance.............. $110 (full coverage)
Apartment..............$300 (with master bedroom and bath)
Food.......................$400 (your number)
Utilities....................$200 (with digital cable and h/s internet)

Total.......................$1410

Don't forget that second year pay will go up to about $3200/mo, not including per diem. There are indeed some lean times, especially instructing at the academy but it is definitely possible.

Where did you get your figure of 6%?? I suspect it is another exaggeration but probably not wildly off the mark. Maybe closer to 25%. However, what you're not pointing out is the normal attrition rate at any FBO, academy, college, etc. who does flight training. To be fair to DCA, you ought to post accurate numbers from at least one of each. I am positive you would find similar results.

Almost all of the attrition I saw at DCA was students with an attitude like yours. 'I can do it cheaper elsewhere.' "I don't like the schedule.' 'The airplanes are old.' 'The academy is charging too much.' Well, these things are all true but they are selling a superior product...excellent training, proven success of grads at the top regional, the interview. I might point out that those who stick it out and don't exercise the 'greener grass' option are 97% successful at the interview.

I moved out from the west coast to attend DCA. Had not a penny to my name and parents who were unable to help financially. I had to succeed or kiss away the money I borrowed. It was the scariest and the best choice I ever made. I love my job.

Many who left did so because they were too young or immature to handle it, didn't plan well financially, weren't cut out to be pilots. But the most common thing I saw was a simple lack of motivation, work ethic, study habits, leading to spending way more than expected.

BTW, Timebuilder, you'll be happy to know that the students are now in uniform.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back