Delta being broken up?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jester757 said:
Ahh....Delta has over 4 Billion in cash - over three of which are unrestricted. They are getting more planes, calling back pilots, etc. They are forcasting exiting Chap 11 with equal debt to cash on hand which is a well balanced sheet.

So why would they be the ones getting cut up again?

I will never understand airline finance. Lose money out the a**, and still have billions int the bank. I wish I could do it.:rolleyes:

outtahere said:
Single carrier? You guys have five different regionals flying at least 40% of Delta's domestic routes and you think you are a single carrier. And just think, you guys just gave all that flying away when you guaranteed over and over it would never happen. Go back into hiding!

According to Whitehurst, our COO and future CEO, he is sick and tired of RJs and knows he can and will make more money on larger planes, flown by us of course. That 40% you quoted will get smaller, starting with the parking of Comair.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
According to Whitehurst, our COO and future CEO, he is sick and tired of RJs and knows he can and will make more money on larger planes, flown by us of course. That 40% you quoted will get smaller, starting with the parking of Comair.

Bye Bye--General Lee

:rolleyes:Uh General, I have not seen ONE order from Big D for new aircraft. In fact, they won't be able to even "Sniff" a new 787 for 4-5 years. Don't know how much of a chance they will have at getting any 73's, since every other one goes to SWA and then Airtran and then Continental. Of course, you could possibly pull some of those 72's or L-10's (you should be so lucky) out of the desert! I'll beleive it when I see it!

Tomct said:
:rolleyes:Uh General, I have not seen ONE order from Big D for new aircraft. In fact, they won't be able to even "Sniff" a new 787 for 4-5 years. Don't know how much of a chance they will have at getting any 73's, since every other one goes to SWA and then Airtran and then Continental. Of course, you could possibly pull some of those 72's or L-10's (you should be so lucky) out of the desert! I'll beleive it when I see it!

You don't talk to the right people. We supposedly will not be "buying" any new large aircraft for years, but a certain lessor will lease us 10 or more 777LRs (they have the slots on the boeing line) for deliveries in 2008, 2009, and 2010), and we supposedly will make a huge (50+) order for 787s when we do emerge from BK next year, along with a large 737-700 order. No joke. We may get some narrowbody planes that are used in the near future because the current 737-700 orderbook is full from Southwest and Airtran. So, we may get some MD88s or MD90s from some European Airline, as they go to all Airbus. I think it was in Spain or France. Anyway, that is the current talk around "inside" circles.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
jester757 said:
Ahh....Delta has over 4 Billion in cash - over three of which are unrestricted. They are getting more planes, calling back pilots, etc. They are forcasting exiting Chap 11 with equal debt to cash on hand which is a well balanced sheet.

So why would they be the ones getting cut up again?

How then, does an airline with over 4 billion cash in the bank, file BK, throw out pilot pensions, and get away with it.

BK is now just a loophole to get around agreements, and is no longer a financial issue.

Tomct said:
:rolleyes:Uh General, I have not seen ONE order from Big D for new aircraft. In fact, they won't be able to even "Sniff" a new 787 for 4-5 years. Don't know how much of a chance they will have at getting any 73's, since every other one goes to SWA and then Airtran and then Continental.

At the most recent in command meeting with new pilots, Grinstein was asked about the 787. The captain who asked the question was concerned about being late in the game and not being able to get any 787s for a long time. Grinstein smiled and said don't worry, there are delivery slots available if we went them. As far as 737s, Delta already has plenty of existing orders and options.

General Lee said:

Bye Bye--General Lee

Except for 9 pax turbo props, those are ok.....well we don't like that skinny little Merlin with only 19 people so you can have those, too....the Brasilia isn't much bigger, only 30 pax so go ahead....well yeah it's a jet but it's little and my buddies would laugh if they saw me flying that so you guys can have those as well.....alright it holds 70 pax but it still says RJ and my penis is too big to fly that so you can have those too....but that is POSITIVELY the line.

70 seats and not one seat more.

To quote General Lee "There is no way we will give on scope of the 70 seat limit. Anything larger than 70 seats will be flown by us or we WILL strike.

Except for the 76 seat 90 seat airframe that we just caved on too.

While the rumor may not be true, the fact that they have money in the bank to use is not nearly as important as the facts of what weaknesses they have in the market.
In earlier posts, I indicated that even back in the very early 1990's, we in the business were talking about Delta having a hard time surviving next to American. This was due to the their southeast concentration, ill timed moves with Pan Am, and other finaincial aspects. Many of these factors are still true.
In another discussion, we thought maybe it would be better if Comair bought Delta or the board downsized Delta in upped the Comair end. This was during the discussion of why not merge pilot lists and it was pointed out that one reason is so one could sell off Comair.
Basically any of these things could still happen.

Latest resources

Back