• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta being broken up?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know this is a rumor network after all, but there is a growing buzz on the street that United, USAir and an otherr unnamed airline are in serious discussions, to see if Delta were to be carved into pieces, they would cherry pick what they want, ala Pan Am.

Any thoughts, or heard anything else?

Standing by with the fire extinguisher for the flames!!!!!

Oil is coming down, Airlines are making money on their own, I don't think you will see any mergers, break ups, fire sales, etc... until the next downturn. Delta, NW, UAL , AA, CAL, everyone will be fine and in their current form.

Now the real question is which management team will use these good profitable quarters shoring up their finances to make it through the next downturn. My guess the downturm will be in the next 2.5-3 years barring and unforseen circumstances.

Ahh....Delta has over 4 Billion in cash - over three of which are unrestricted. They are getting more planes, calling back pilots, etc. They are forcasting exiting Chap 11 with equal debt to cash on hand which is a well balanced sheet.

So why would they be the ones getting cut up again?

Ummmmmmm, NO. Delta has plenty of money in the bank and is waiting to emerge BK as a single carrier. I believe Jim Whitehurst will take over the job from Grinstein, and he will lead us forward. He seems to have a "plan", and that includes expansion and as stated to us in a recent CVG meeting--NO MERGERS. I doubt dividing us up is a viable alternative.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
General Lee said:
Ummmmmmm, NO. Delta has plenty of money in the bank and is waiting to emerge BK as a single carrier. I believe Jim Whitehurst will take over the job from Grinstein, and he will lead us forward. He seems to have a "plan", and that includes expansion and as stated to us in a recent CVG meeting--NO MERGERS. I doubt dividing us up is a viable alternative.

Bye Bye--General Lee
Single carrier? You guys have five different regionals flying at least 40% of Delta's domestic routes and you think you are a single carrier. And just think, you guys just gave all that flying away when you guaranteed over and over it would never happen. Go back into hiding!

I seriously doubt it. This topic appears to have originated from a certain pilot on the east coast that fancies himself in the know about just about anything.

vetrider said:
I seriously doubt it. This topic appears to have originated from a certain pilot on the east coast that fancies himself in the know about just about anything.

Man, you can't doubt the "word on the street" can you?

Latest resources

Back