Delta and the DC-9s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BID

So Delta will retire the DC-9 fleet in October. How many DC9s do you have and how will this affect staffing? Sorry if this has been discussed, I am out of the loop on Delta's plans.

As I understood, it was just the DC-9-30s that were to be parked this fall, and the -50s will soldier on for another couple years.

Last week I flew 9966 DC9-30 to Pinal for retirement. NW/DAL FAA told me that the DC9-30/40 will be pulled into retirement by Sep, leaving the DC9-50 to continue flying. The DC9-50 will receive the "wedge" tail retrofit along with the aerodynamic fairings from the Boeing 717. This is expected to increase fuel efficiency by up to 5% according to Boeing engineering.

Pinal in Mirana has many aircraft there, along with a long row, nose to tail of NWA DC9 -10,30 and 40's stored there. At one point in time, NWA flew 197 DC9's.

I have been told the it will be at least 2017 until an economic replacement will be available for the -50s and 88s. As a result the -50s will be around through 2012 and the 88s won't begin being phased out until at least 2017. My hope is that mainline will fly these hypothetical replacements!

I have been told the it will be at least 2017 until an economic replacement will be available for the -50s and 88s. As a result the -50s will be around through 2012 and the 88s won't begin being phased out until at least 2017. My hope is that mainline will fly these hypothetical replacements!
Wouldn't the E-190 be a considered an economical replacement of the DC9-50 series and the Bombardier CS-300 for the MD-80? Of course the main driver of the timing for replacement of these fleets will be the cost of energy going forward.

My hope is that mainline will fly these hypothetical replacements![/QUOTE]

You know, this whole "They against Us" theme is getting old. It was the MAINLINE carriers who were "TOO GOOD" to fly the RJ's in the first place. Of course, when they jumpseat, they are like....WOW...this is a nice flightdeck....(instrument package, not necessarily the room)

The MAINLINE guys dropped the ball on this one! If they would have taken the planes in house problem solved...instead, you have to continue to listen to all of them "Piss and Moan" about how these planes are taking their jobs. Well, how about having a little foresight instead of just focusing on ME...ME....ME! Wow, what a refreshing concept! If they would have been thinking about "down the road," they might have realized that a CRJ can fly as far as most 737-100 models and a CRJ700 and 900 would be able to outfly a Boeing 717. The short sightedness of the mainline guys has KILLED this profession.

Now I know, you will all jump on this and "Cry me a RIVER" about how if these guys would stop taking crappy pay...blah...blah....blah. These people are out there just like everyone else trying to improve their lives. Now I am not in ANY WAY saying that crossing a picket line is okay...EVER. What I am saying is that to come down on someone just trying to get to the next level is pretty crappy to do to someone. ESPECIALLY if they are just trying to get home from a very long trip. Before all you MAJOR guys start casting the stones...have a look at YOUR glass houses. You could have all prevented this, BUT YOU WERE TOO GOOD FOR THE RJ's. Well guess what, that is now biting us all in the proverbial AZZ! Because I guarantee that those guys in the RJ's ever dreamed of "Retiring" in an RJ, I know that was not my dream. The only way I see of fixing this thing is to take all the carriers that are affiliated with a major and merging them "date of hire" among the regional carriers and then stapling them to the bottom of the majors list. Now this would possibly cause an "accordion" effect, but in the long run it would all work out. This would end all of the ALPA Mainline VS Regional guys BS and would eventually start the pay moving in the right direction.

Just some food for thought to all of the MEC's at the Majors out there....okay, LET ME HAVE IT! :rolleyes:

PS...wouldn't you guys rather park those old crappy dinosaurs and fly a E-175/190? STATE OF THE ART....no round dials. WOW

Last edited:
My hope is that mainline will fly these hypothetical replacements!

Tomct, you also need to consider the lack of leadership at the Regionals...someone still agrees to fly the RJ's for McDonalds Pay and it's certainly not Mainline Pilots. When I began flying at a Regional we fed the Mainline, we did not replace it. No doubt the Mainline MEC's dropped the ball, although it is up to all of us to restore Mainline Pay. This will never happen with today's regional airline pilots' fancy of glass cockpits and tiny- ass paychecks.

Regional Pilot Unions and Associations Please grow a set.

JP

PS, no I would not rather fly an RJ...I traded the glass and cute flight attendants for round dials and bitchy old ladies so I could get paid like a professional.

Last edited:
Jo, I hear what you are saying and I agree, but if they would just merge all the regionals... (ieALPA MEC's get together Majors/regionals with their mainline partners) and just work out a merge/staple...it will be better for everyone in the long run. Then, Pay would start to come up because there would be no one to "low-ball" the other. Just think, no more interviews because as soon as new planes started rolling on property, they would move from the "Express" up to mainline, but we could begin working on improving pay from the ground up. ALL new hires would start in the smaller planes and work their way up. I know this is a broad stroke and would take a lot of work, but I am looking at the BIG PICTURE and DOWN THE ROAD. ;)

Latest resources

Back