• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta and the DC-9s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cliff, the DC-9 only holds 90 people. The E175-E195 hold just as many and more. It goes from 90-125pax. So I am not sure by what you mean by saying they are WAY too small...they are actually BIGGER. Check out the specks for yourself, AND they are state of the art. Just saying....

This is incorrect, our DC9's hold anywhere from 99 to 124 seats depending on if its a -30/-40/-50 model. After this Sept-Oct all we'll have left is the DC9-50 model which is the 124 seat version. Sounds like you should "check the specs" yourself! :cool:

Last edited:
Actually guys,

The DC-9-30 = 100 seats

DC-9-40= 110 seats

DC-9-50 = 125 seats

I think you are getting the 124 seats from the airbus 319.

Just posting this for accuracy, not trying to stir the pot.

Actually guys,

The DC-9-30 = 100 seats

DC-9-40= 110 seats

DC-9-50 = 125 seats

Thanks! It's nice to see somebody post something factual!

The only reason that is has become us versus them is because there is no career porgression over the last 10 years. People have decided to make the Regional Airline their home and therefore hope and work towards gaining more flying as it falls off the mainline list. It betters their career expectations. That is very simple and should be expected.
Mainline needs to stop the sale of flying so that there is one again in place a reason to leave the 100K job at a regional and move to mainline. Many of us still did it, but there are many that are choosing not to.

We need to keep the 100 seat flying, make the jet arrive and fly on the mainline list. When this happens the normal order will start to once again occur. Until we stop giving away flying that is below a persons current seniority we can expect there to be a conflict between those at mainline and those at a regional.

Fighting for more flying to fall off the mainline lists is very short sighted, but given the career span of the majority of regional pilots, it is what they have seen and come to expect.

Mainline needs to take the first step.

Exactly!

Tmcat, you can have your piece of crap 175-190, I was at JetBlue, just ask them about the 190 reliability. I could care less about a glass cockpit, I'm all about days off and pay. The downtown layovers are fun also. The 9 is fun to fly and very reliable.

The DC-9-30 = 100 seats

DC-9-40= 110 seats

DC-9-50 = 125 seats

But what if you MEL some of the seats????

DAL management has said many times that the E190 and 195 doesn't have the range, lift, and efficiency to make it an economical replacement for the the DC9's (that are paid for).

And for what it's worth, NWA management has been saying they're going to park the DC9's for the last 15 years and they never do. My guess is that the DC9-50's will be flying at DAL for the next 10 years. It's a tank, very reliable and they're paid for.

This is incorrect, our DC9's hold anywhere from 99 to 124 seats depending on if its a -30/-40/-50 model. After this Sept-Oct all we'll have left is the DC9-50 model which is the 124 seat version. Sounds like you should "check the specs" yourself! :cool:

Then I guess Boeing is wrong??? http://www.boeing.com/commercial/dc-9/specs.html

Here are the E-195 specs. http://www.embraercommercialjets.com/#/en/products_detail/4

According to what is published, the 195 beats the 9 in range by almost 600nm, so I don't know what NWA mgmnt was looking at???

Redtail, when the 190's first came online at JB, they WERE a nightmare. But now that they have learned all of the fixes, I am told by a friend who flies them at Blue, that they are very reliable. But hey, if you want to continue doing a "T-Scan" and blowing black smoke...by all means, keep flying those dinosaurs. HAVE FUN! :puke:

Ed, the more I think about it, I am sure that they will continue flying that thing until the wings fall off. I guess that is why NWA had the oldest fleet in the entire world, but at what point does burning a TON of gas/maintenance start cutting into a new "Fuel sipping" bird?

Just going by what is published. ;)

Last edited:
Tomct,
Your ideas will never happen. Just do your time at the regional and get out when you can. The QOL is night and day. If some regional CA is telling you different, the answer is simple, He hasn't been at mainline yet.

Yes, that site is wrong. That should be blatantly obvious to you, since it shows the DC-9-10 and DC-9-50 has having the exact same passenger capacity, despite the -50 being 29 feet longer than the -10.

Here's a more reliable source, from a company that flies the airplane and sells 125 tickets on it very regularly: http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/aircraft_types_layout/dc9_50/index.jsp

But hey, if you want to continue doing a "T-Scan" and blowing black smoke...by all means, keep flying those dinosaurs. HAVE FUN! :puke:

I'll take old avionics and a big paycheck any day over something shiny that pays peanuts.

Latest resources

Back