Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta and NWA Starting Positions From First Meeting...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would put the 330 and 777 on the same level. I do put the 330 above the 767 though. My opinion does not matter. I do have to question why the NWA MEC would take the US Airways' approach after it was proven unsuccessful. Hopefully the arbitrators are smart enough to not screw the NWA pilots as bad as the US Airways' pilot, or this company will be screwed.

What are most Asian airlines replacing their 747s with? 777s. An A330-300 is about the same size as a 767-400, and it looks like the DL guys say they will pay the same. The 767-300ER is about the same size as an A330-200, and Delta has I think twice as many 757s as NWA. Is that right? Maybe three times as many?

I would put the 330 and 777 on the same level. I do put the 330 above the 767 though. My opinion does not matter. I do have to question why the NWA MEC would take the US Airways' approach after it was proven unsuccessful. Hopefully the arbitrators are smart enough to not screw the NWA pilots as bad as the US Airways' pilot, or this company will be screwed.

330-300 and 767-400 are similar in weight and capacity

An old tradition

Both sides are going for opposites and it will likely meet in the middle.

That's the way it's always been. Every time our contract became amendable, both sides would "open" with an absurd "wish list" which provoked alarm among new guys and laughter among veterans. Someone would invariably ask: "Why don't we open closer to the middle, since that's where we always end up?" The answer was: "Because that would change the location of the 'middle'." :rolleyes:

Tom,

As always you are a voice of reason. Bet you were a great guy to fly with. Hope you are enjoying your retirement.

quote=tomgoodman;1684737]That's the way it's always been. Every time our contract became amendable, both sides would "open" with an absurd "wish list" which provoked alarm among new guys and laughter among veterans. Someone would invariably ask: "Why don't we open closer to the middle, since that's where we always end up?" The answer was: "Because that would change the location of the 'middle'." :rolleyes:[/quote]

Attention all DAL and NWA pilots,

CALM DOWN!

We just completed the first day of SLI hearings and everyone is already throwing stones. General, I thought you had been starting to show your kinder, gentler side as of late.

We still have another month to go in this process. This is totally out of our hands and lobbing grenades at one another on this board is going to do nothing to help your cause. Why not sit back, have a beer and watch the show.

I am seeing a lot of haters from the Delta side already. I don't think anyone is saying that the 330 is "better" than the 777 or even the 767-ER for that matter. It's all symantics and part of the negotiations.

On another note, I am seeing that DOH is unreasonable for the NWA pilots as a starting poisition. As a NWA pilot, I am honestly surprised they didn't start with dynamic seniority with DOH from the start. Date of hire doesn't do much for 3/4 of our group since our list is very senior.

Anyway, I am starting to get dragged into the debates and that is not what I intend to do. Support your reps and try to keep the name-calling to a minimum. This could be a great place to work and we could actually show other groups how to pull off a merger if everyone stops throwing mud from day one.

JMHO. Safe skies

Redrum

Attention all DAL and NWA pilots,

This could be a great place to work and we could actually show other groups how to pull off a merger if everyone stops throwing mud from day one.

JMHO. Safe skies

Redrum

I'm trying not to get dragged into this bs either but.... Most here see our guys as having bent over backward to try to keep things relatively in the middle and bring both sides equal benefit even when they were beating their heads against a wall. For better or worse we've seen your MEC as the group with their hand out, doing nothing for the rest of us. In short we haven't noticed any effort at all on your MEC part to make this a good place to work post-merger. I thought the NW guys had a chance to at least show they are reasonable and wanted to start this thing off on a good foot. Unfortunately, although I know it's negotiating, super premium wide body, the US Air arguement, and the rest didn't go over well at all. The comments weren't pretty on the line here today. I hope we can get past it.

Last edited:
I'm trying not to get dragged into this bs either but.... Most here see our guys as having bent over backward to try to keep things relatively in the middle and bring both sides equal benefit even when they were beating their heads against a wall. For better or worse we've seen your MEC as the group with their hand out, doing nothing for the rest of us. In short we haven't noticed any effort at all on your MEC part to make this a good place to work post-merger. I thought the NW guys had a chance to at least show they are reasonable and wanted to start this thing off on a good foot. Unfortunately, although I know it's negotiating, super premium wide body, the US Air arguement, and the rest didn't go over well at all. The comments weren't pretty on the line here today. I hope we can get past it.

DAL came out with what was best for the DAL side and NWA came out with something they felt was best for the NWA side. Its just negotiations. Reasonable is in the eye of the beholder and just because you see the DAL offer as reasonable doesnt mean it is. I dont blame our MEC anymore than i blame DAL mec for their strategic plans. In the end it will likely be in the middle so we can equally biche about it.

Both sides went for the Gold in hopes of getting at least the silver. time will tell. Cheers till then. :beer:

Latest resources

Back