• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Air Lines 7/02/07 Class Breakdown

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where I work now is no one's business. Especially not the business of vindictive web board folks on a witch hunt. Truth is, nobody cares.

I know, and I guess if you're working for DAL now then I can understand you not wanting to say anything. I just figured that if you aren't working at Delta, then maybe it would just be easier to say so so that the DAL pilots won't be attacking you for it for the next six months.

Does that make USAir a wholly owned subsidiary of America West? Dare you to post that on the East vs. West threads...

Big difference. The DAL or ASA scope language didn't require an integration. The DAL scope only required integration if a carrier with certain sized airplanes was purchased. ASA didn't have those sized airplanes, so no integration was required.

Actually, I don't think either of the Comair guys have family at Delta. I flew with one not long ago, he was a USN pilot prior to Comair, and didn't know a soul at Delta. Applied when they opened up hiring and interviewed in April.

Looks like Delta is giving preference to ASA guys. Good for them, lord knows they've been getting it from all sides lately.

Now seriously, what's up with hiring a GoJet guy?

Is Delta really giving preference to ASA guys or is it that more of them apply so more would get hired. The common ATL based would attract more ASA folks just like Continentals bases are the same as XJet and a number of them fill Continentals classes.

Just wondering how many west coast guys would jump at the opportunity to be based in ATL or EWR without a second thought?

Big difference. The DAL or ASA scope language didn't require an integration. The DAL scope only required integration if a carrier with certain sized airplanes was purchased. ASA didn't have those sized airplanes, so no integration was required.
ASA had 105 seat BAE 146's. Pan Am Express ATR42, as well as NorthEast's F27 drivers retired from Delta. Your arguement carries weight with regard to management, but not ALPA. You are forgetting ALPA's own alter ego policy.

One reason for ALPA's policy was to avoid arbitrary scope written to avoid mergers. Nobody likes mergers. But until someone finds a better way even US Air & TWA would admit a merger was better than the alternative of a separate subsidiary competing with other subsidiaries for the brand's flying. In the case of ASA, we would have certainly been on the absolute bottom of the list. Fine - many will end up there anyway. The difference is the unnecessary furlough and outsourcing.

I've never had anything against Delta pilots and have several close personal friends at DAL. They think they got the worst of what was a genuine error in leadership. The Delta MEC put preferential hiring of squadron buddies ahead of their responsibilities to their own members and the union. The result of this is being seen around the industry and is the result of the changes to ALPA's alter ego policy.

Now pilots engage in a battle where the reason for success (US Air style) is carried on the backs of employees' concessions. Regional partners compete against eachother and Delta pilots now have to compete against them at the 100 seat level. A national union's job is to help stop and stabilize labor wars.

The difference between a successful airline and a loser should not be $2 an hour in pilot compensation. This is a basic princible and a tenet of ALPA. I happened to have a front row seat at DAL/ASA when this part of history happened.

It can't be fixed now. But I will always hope ALPA comes back to recognizing the harm of alter ego competition.

Last edited:
Does that make USAir a wholly owned subsidiary of America West? Dare you to post that on the East vs. West threads...

You really don't want to go there. Both airlines were brought together to merge. Both pilot contracts had language in their PWAs requiring a list merger. I suggest that if you are indeed an RJ f/o that you read your contract cover to cover, so that you don't make a fool of yourself in person with the people you fly with daily.

Hey guys, it is only $10 to change screen names. It would be pretty easy for a "hypocrite" to hide.

When on their jumpseat, and when on my jumpseat, most Delta pilots agree (actually every one including those who wrote LOR's) and say ALPA made a mistake by putting the RJ flying out to the lowest bidder. "All Delta flying by Delta pilots" was not unrealistic ten years ago. The furlough of Delta pilots and the shrinkage of the Delta list from 11,000 something to 6,000 something could have been avoided. Sure it sounds silly now, but the Delta Heritage Museum still has their display showing ASA MERGED with Delta. That was Delta pilots & employees that made that display, not me.

I may have dropped out of the RJDC thing after suit was filed, but I think their version of a more inclusive union is the way ALPA has to go to survive, promote our profession and stabilize this industry.

I'm not a hypocrite and if given the opportunity, I think a more inclusive union is the way to go. After all, isn't it a union's job to bring folks together?

Talk about hypocritical. You said if you want to fly at Delta, get hired. Yeah, so if someone takes your advice you then get mad and call them names?

You feel any better if the employer isn't Delta, but pays more?

Apologies for the thread creep.

Nothing like coming back with your schwantz in your hand!!!

Quite frankly, nothing you type here is believable. Your "testimony" from Delta pilots on your jumpseat, your employer, your "front row seat" when ASA was acquired. None.

The funniest is using Delta Heritage Museum evidence to prove your theory that indeed the lists should have been merged. I guess that is better than napkins though.

It's pretty simple, your pilot groups tried to pull a coup, and got spanked. Now they will get spanked more, and deserve it. Mess with natural order, and prepare to get beat badly. Before you try and beat the odds, make sure that you can survive the odds beating you.

Of course, ASA did operate 105 seat jets at one time. Comair had looked at buying Spirit. Why shouldn't they spring into 180K jobs?!?

You got spanked son, and your actions had NOTHING to do with unity building. I'm glad.

Silly me. I keep forgetting that sarcasm and subtlety don't mix well on this board.

You really don't want to go there. Both airlines were brought together to merge. Both pilot contracts had language in their PWAs requiring a list merger. I suggest that if you are indeed an RJ f/o that you read your contract cover to cover, so that you don't make a fool of yourself in person with the people you fly with daily.

Depends on who the fool is - me for trying to make a funny or you for taking it seriously.

Exactly how much total time does "bunche" equal, anyway?

Silly me. I keep forgetting that sarcasm and subtlety don't mix well on this board.

Depends on who the fool is - me for trying to make a funny or you for taking it seriously.

Exactly how much total time does "bunche" equal, anyway?

Nice retreat.

Latest resources

Back