• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Air Lines 7/02/07 Class Breakdown

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
i would think that you would need more that 17 pilots to staff a long haul 777. I would think the number would be more like 30. Anyone have any staffing formulas?

It takes about six to seven crews per 777. That is four pilots per crew. So about 24-28 pilots per aircraft, plus instructors for each airframe. Basically there will be a large sucking sound when these birds come on property.
All of the routes that it will do are 12+ except LAX-ATL.

500 is a very conservative number.
Also expect a 737 order is the mid to upper double digits in the near future. (700's and 800's) Of course the price will have to be right.

130 - according to someone in class this week. Supposed to continue hiring at 50 a month through 2008, but no official announcements yet. But just look what is coming, at least 8 777's, at least 10 757's, at least 10 737's and possibly 20 something MD90's and possibly some sort of 100 seater on the horizon. That is around 350 pilots' worth of airplanes that are not on the property yet. Anyone have better intel on this?

My friends there said 15 777s by 2010, 13-15 ex TWA 757s, 20 or more 737-700s, and possibly some MD90s from China. They said they have heard rumors about a possible 100 seater also, but nothing concrete, along with a phantom 787 order. A lot of this could be announced by a new CEO that is appointed soon.

It takes about six to seven crews per 777. That is four pilots per crew. So about 24-28 pilots per aircraft, plus instructors for each airframe. Basically there will be a large sucking sound when these birds come on property.
All of the routes that it will do are 12+ except LAX-ATL.

You have to remember that these new 777s will be LR versions, which means LONG RANGE. Long range means more crews because the trips will all be 14-15 hour legs, which means maybe two of those a month plus a Tel Aviv to bring you up to the cap or higher. If Delta does get that many LRs, there will be nonstops from ATL to Joburg, Mumbai, PEK (eventually), and many others. That will add hundreds of 777 FO and Capt slots, and if the flights are daily that means 28 pilots per week will fly each nonstop trip to each of those city pairings. I think there will be more than 24-28 pilots per 777LR, and you also have to have a few reserves available for each plane too. In other words, lots of pilots will be needed. And if Delta gets 787s and starts even more nonstop flights from ATL Worldport, then the numbers will increase even more.

Last edited:
500 is a very conservative number.
Also expect a 737 order is the mid to upper double digits in the near future. (700's and 800's) Of course the price will have to be right.

ACL65.......

BS flag raised on the 737 order........quite the contrary from a reliable source......

And what's this business we are hiring Comair Rouge?? General?? 737?? Good God!!! How did this happen??!?!?!

For the record, bring on every ASA pilot we can find, in fact, Go-jet guys were just paying their bills, the Comair scumbags didn't even give our furloughees a chance to pay theirs.........

Last edited:
Funny. I hope that you are correct about the 737's I was told something exactly the opposite from someone in the fleet program.
I would be surprised to see it since they just sold a lot of their options, but then again nothing surprises me in this industry.
What does you source say? Many 100 seaters?

The 737 program shelved....Paris airshow was a major push by Jimmy W and the other legacies to get something on the board that the LCC's don't have......Newer tech and fuel savings OR settle for the 737-600 if the price comes down...WAY down which ain't gonna happen......not too keen on the 195....It's knock is according to 4'th floor studies is it can't carry 100 peoples bags due to bulk, not weight..

Don't listen to the DGS guys......they were/are in it for themselves.

Last edited:
I'm proud a Gojeter made the cut!

Hey Maverick - for the love of God, please just STFU! You are a complete tool and a Gojeter that will never make the cut, besides making the worst cut of all and getting hired at the clown outfit you're currently with. Don't forget your floppy shoes next time you hop up in the RJ.

Latest resources

Back