Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta acquisition of NWA almost finalized!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You're kidding, right?

Two pilot groups vying for the upper hand in a SLI and you don't think that symantics of "acquisition" vs. "merger" will be brought up?

Go jumpseat on DAL and ask the pilots how they think the SLI should go. I can guarantee that you will hear the words "acquisition" and "bought" used liberally, and the word "merger" will be absent from the conversation.

Well I work there and I really haven't heard anybody care what word is used. I don't think the arbitrators will either. Why would they? People have differing opinions on how an SLI should be accomplished from W2 all the way to DOH but I've never heard buyout vs merger used.

Last edited:
Well I work there and I really haven't heard anybody care what word is used. I don't think the arbitrators will either. Why would they? People have differing opinions on how an SLI should be accomplished from W2 all the way to DOH but I've never heard buyout vs merger used.

It will be, bank on it.

The gloves will be off as both sides try and get the best deal possible for their pilots. I would also imagine a negotiated settlement after the 3 arbitrators give their hints prior to their decision.

It will be, bank on it.

The gloves will be off as both sides try and get the best deal possible for their pilots. I would also imagine a negotiated settlement after the 3 arbitrators give their hints prior to their decision.

That still doesn't answer my question. What difference would it make?

It is most certainly not an acquisition!

Lets see...

Delta gives Northwest's shareholders stock in exchange for Northwest to give Delta's shareholders stock. Stocks swaps have never been how acquisitions are done. If this is not a merger, please explain to me how a merger is structured.

It amazes me how simple minded some pilots can be. Do you think Delta is the buyer because the new company name is Delta? If that is the case then I guess US Airways must have bought America West.

By the way, of the top nine executives to run the new Delta, eight of them have spent time working for Northwest. Ed Bastian is the ONLY Delta guy and they are sending him away to run the Northwest subsidiary during the transition! So...Maybe Northwest is taking over Delta!

It is most certainly not an acquisition!

Lets see...

Delta gives Northwest's shareholders stock in exchange for Northwest to give Delta's shareholders stock. Stocks swaps have never been how acquisitions are done. If this is not a merger, please explain to me how a merger is structured.

"A stock swap, also known as a share swap, is a business takeover or acquisition in which the acquiring company uses its own stock to pay for the acquired company. Each shareholder of the newly acquired company receives a certain number of shares of the acquiring company's stock for each share of stock they previously held in the acquired company."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_swap

Last edited:
It will be, bank on it.

Jesus... they make you guys wear gloves too? As if the uniform wasn't gay enough. I draw the line at the hat!

Jesus... they make you guys wear gloves too? As if the uniform wasn't gay enough. I draw the line at the hat!

Whatever. Go ahead and quit, tough guy, if you think that the uniform is so gay. I didn't think so.

It IS an acquisition. That little fact DOES matter. It WILL be presented as such.

I've not heard the term "acquisition" used anywhere but here. I hear the word "merger" used very frequently. The outcome of pilots debating semantic terms is nothing more than a diversion for bored pilots. I do believe that in the long run, both Delta and NWA pilots will see gains from this transaction.

The NWA pilots will have to adjust to the Delta way of doing things. Delta's flight standards, uniforms, policies and procedures remain after the transaction. There is not any point in fighting it. Others may have been harsh, but it will be a lot easier for NWA pilots to accept what they can not change.

What is more relevant is the objective changes in fleet numbers, the SLOA allowing Delta MD88 pilots to fly over their ALV caps, canceled displacements and growth aircraft. I am more interested in how arbitrators meet their obligation to meet, or improve on, status quo.

Frankly, at the junior end of the list, that is going to be difficult work. Delta's 2007 hires are holding (block in NWA speak) lines on the 757 and 767 both domestic and international. On the MD88's they are pretty senior in the right seat. Another big advanced entitlement for growth comes out on the DAL side in October. It looks possible that a few out of the class of 07 may even get on the 777, or MD88A in NYC. Those results should be available before the arbitration is final. (not that I'm leaving any facts out about NWA, I just don't know if you are doing advancement bids)

If past results are useful for prediction of future outcomes then I expect relative seniority, by equipment. That still does not address the base issues, but if given the choice between NYC, MSP, or DTW, they are about a toss up. I think we will all miss NWA's commuting language.

JMHO

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back