Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta acquisition of NWA almost finalized!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One of your former co-workers is here, so I can make an exact comparison, to you Super. It is not a guesstimate.

Some of your former co-workers are here and can make the same comparisons. ;) Like is said both sides have their +'s and -'s. I agree with you that we all have way to much time left with this company to get worked up about all of this. My point is only that those at DAL that are trying to argue that junior DAL pilots have better career expectations than those at NWA because they are on widebodies NOW need to not only be looking at NOW. Apples to oranges.

I can tell you that I did the math of NWA and DAL before coming here.
You serious?

Fin Fans: Like the boy in orthopaedic shoes, I stand corrected. I wrote that "no one I know considered NWA" and apparently that statement is incorrect. Crap, that's the second time this year that I've been wrong ....

The problem is that the new DAL guys may be moving up quick right now because of the bailout of the top of the list and that will plateau at some point.. NWA hasnt had our large retirements #'s or bailouts happen yet and because of age 65 that has put a ? for when people will leave in the next 4 years. The AVERAGE age of the NWA seniority list is something like 53 or 54 years old, the numbers are there. Had we stayed NWA i would be at 45% on the list in the next 10-13 years. We have a "crystal ball" that alpa set up that shows our projected career progression. It shows me in the top 2000 for the last 25 years of my career and retiring at number 3. How does that compare to career progression at DAL for a new guy? Just because a DAL guy is in a widebody as an FO now doesnt mean his/her career progression is better than that of a NWA guy. Apples to oranges and many factors contribute to the equation.

The NWA pilots need to get over the early outs. The vast majority of them would have retired at age 60, before the rule change, anyway. And as far as retirements going forward, yes NWA has more short term, but Delta has more long term.

No, just because a DL pilot is in a widebody now doesn't mean their future progression is better. Re-read what I said. Current seat, current progression. That includes the retirements you expect, as well as new aircraft, aircraft going away, etc.

Agree with that statement for the most part. There are some issues with it. I am sure that all sides will be disceted for all of to see in the coming weeks.
As stated, this is out of the rank-and-file pilot's hands. We had our vote. You can talk your LEC reps ears off, but both sides know what is at stake and are going to fight vehemently for the best out come for their member's. No one should take it personally. It may get ugly, but when it is over it is over. We need to on some level have the ability to move on.
On a side note, you will be a CA on something by the time your are 33 if you want it. Personally, I am all about quality v/s quantity. Give me an ER, or wide body FO line and I will probably stay there for many many years. My wife may have different ideas, but that is my goal.

and our 787's are delayed.
Who's 787's?

I had to correct the lady on the Boeing tour too. That red tail throws a lot of folks off. Fortunately in the building next door they have three 777's on the line for Delta, so they can see how the paint is supposed to look.

Hope you know I'm just yanking your chain.

See you for Thanksgiving. Hopefully we will both be thankful for something.

You serious?

Fin Fans: Like the boy in orthopedic shoes, I stand corrected. I wrote that "no one I know considered NWA" and apparently that statement is incorrect. Crap, that's the second time this year that I've been wrong ....

FIN, I did a comparative analysis of everywhere. It is what I do. You do the same thing. Not that it was an option. As stated, quality over quantity. I am from the Midwest and NWA was no where near one of my top choices. It was a backup. Cripes I even turned SWA down for DAL. We will see how that decision plays out in the ensuing years.

My point is only that those at DAL that are trying to argue that junior DAL pilots have better career expectations than those at NWA because they are on widebodies NOW need to not only be looking at NOW. Apples to oranges.

I actually agree with your point. However, that a DAL junior pilot is on a widebody is still a factor in the SLI, and I still think the longterm prospects of a Delta new hire are better.

Fact is that at my retirement date I am over 220 number senior to where you would be on the same date.

You were hired at DAL before me and are older than me. What are you using as your placement and mine on a list? Also 220 numbers isnt alot, especially considering i have 10 more years post ACL65Pilot ;)

I appreciate the good a discussion. In all seriousness I look forward to how this pans out because either way i think we are sitting in good positions. Ultimately we got in at the front end of what will eventually be a big wave.

(ps, i just ordered my nifty DAL name tag, does that get me up the totem pole any? ;))

Latest resources

Back