Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DCI - 100, 50-Seaters and All Turboprops To Go.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Passengers loved them when they first came out and the RJ's were still doing the short regional flights that the turboprops did. I think passengers still like them over a turboprop. However, I don't think anyone likes them on long flights!

You might be right, when it comes to some passengers who live in the sticks and are used to flying props, maybe they might like the RJs better. Increasingly though, the economics of the 50 seaters are going down the toilet, and as LCCs increase in size, it is becoming even more apparent of their lack of help to the "bottom line." They are past their prime.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Your mainline management team started the RJ debacle so don't blame the regionals for taking advantage of it.And mainline pilots felt they were more holy than thou to fly an RJ so guess what happened????..That decision turned on you and bit you in the a$$..... say it with me 10 times .... It's mainlines FAULT !!!

The true proliferation of 50 seat RJs came after 9-11, when management saw a perceived lack of passengers and decided to park a lot of mainline fleets. They over did it. We did allow the door to be opened originally, you are right there, but then we couldn't close it, and everyone saw the downhill slide. The only people who really like them now are (as someone pointed out earlier) people who live in the sticks that used to fly props, current RJ pilots, and Embry Riddle. That's about it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I have said it once and I will say it again. The barbiejets were a good idea in the begining when dal started to deploy them. It allowed them to poach other mainline hub spoke cities. Cities that had 1 or 2 choices tops. Cities in the midwest that had msp or ord. Dal could not serve those cities with mainline aircraft due to limited demand. It was a great idea until everyone caught up and did the same. The idea that the customer demands frequency is garbage. Most of these cities had been profitably served with mainline jets 3-5 times per day and that is plenty. 10 barbiejets a day to 2-3 hubs nobody is profitable. Imho going forward with the consolidation of the majors you are going to see this return. I think we are just begining to see this. Now with all that said, if any of the 3-4(after cal/ual merger and lcc breakup and parting out) give up more 70+ seat flying that will change things.

General,

why do you call everyone that expresses a difference in opinion than you a name? In this case, you called me sensitive sally. What is that supposed to mean? Obviously I sense some insecurity. Delta should have never given up the right to fly 50 seat jets, because of DL's MEC decision, you hate regional pilots; even though you were one yourself a long time ago.

Read "Competitive Advantage" and "Competitive Strategy" by Michael Porter, and when you are finished you will be a more educated poster when it comes to management issues that we do not see as pilots. Again, we are just a factor of production - just like the airplanes we fly. Industry power is at play no matter what color the airplane you fly is.

What name are you going to call me now that I told you to read a book? hopefully, you read it first before you post again.

The Messiah of Delta needs help. Come on GL let's see you take my challenge. You have an addiction problem. One week!!!!!

I'll bet that includes 7011? Haven't seen her around much anymore.
7011 flew it's last rev flight on Sept 29th. It's just about at 40,000 Hours. We've been hearing some wispering about the Smithsonian possibly wanting it for it's collection, since it is the first to enter service in the U.S.

General,

why do you call everyone that expresses a difference in opinion than you a name? In this case, you called me sensitive sally. What is that supposed to mean? Obviously I sense some insecurity. Delta should have never given up the right to fly 50 seat jets, because of DL's MEC decision, you hate regional pilots; even though you were one yourself a long time ago.

Read "Competitive Advantage" and "Competitive Strategy" by Michael Porter, and when you are finished you will be a more educated poster when it comes to management issues that we do not see as pilots. Again, we are just a factor of production - just like the airplanes we fly. Industry power is at play no matter what color the airplane you fly is.

What name are you going to call me now that I told you to read a book? hopefully, you read it first before you post again.

Come on now, really, don't get too sensitive about being called "Sensitive Sally." It really wasn't too harsh. As far as what management sees vs what we see, all I saw were large bonuses going out while we got huge pay cuts. I also understand plenty about route planning and structuring fares etc. It really isn't that complex. When you have a product that has 50 seats vs one with over 100, the company with the larger plane can set the fares to their advantage. See, I don't even have to read that book of yours. I think I will read something with more value, like that US magazine I picked up from First Class. That Jessica Simpson is something else! Why did she get dumped by Tony Romo? What a homo!

Bye Bye--General Lee

You might be right, when it comes to some passengers who live in the sticks and are used to flying props, maybe they might like the RJs better. Increasingly though, the economics of the 50 seaters are going down the toilet, and as LCCs increase in size, it is becoming even more apparent of their lack of help to the "bottom line." They are past their prime.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Without a doubt, it is the people who live near small airports that I would think love the RJ. Before, they were flying a Saab. Now, a jet. It's a step up in passenger comfort.
There are economical routes for the RJ. Probably not enough for hundreds of them:) The same could be said for the 777.

Fred Reid LOVED them when he was President of Delta, but then mysteriously decided not to get them when he started up Virgin America with Branson. How did that happen? Did he RIDE on one? Maybe he sat next to a corpulent sweaty person on a CRJ?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Sure, that's gotta be it.... Sitting in the back on any of those mainline narrowbody coach seats, especially the middle one is so much more fantastically comfortable!!!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back