• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

David Neeleman is NOW my hero!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Even if widespread use of this process results in ZERO price reduction for the consumer, I would still support it if for no other reason than to end our utter dependance on foreign entities for our energy and economic well-being.

Going to email it to my rep's as well.

Edit:
Regardless of this process, I'll add that we most definitely need a Manhatten-style project to develop alternative forms of energy as well. Where's the money you say? How many 100's of billions have we spent over there to keep it stable enough for the oil to flow??

Last edited:
Crash Pad said:
Wow this board has really swung around. I have to give Friedman a little credit for making Green the new Red White and Blue. I think this is a terrible idea. I would like to see oil hit $100+ a barrel. The only way you get off the crack pipe is if you can't afford it. Even then you will try to sell your kids things and break into houses to get your fix. Sure coal is cheap and abundant now but if we get oil to $30 or gas to $1 we all now how the american public reacts.
I would also like to make a mention of global warming. I know everyone on this site thinks it doesn't exist or humans can't do it. Global warming in my view is the real kick in the balls not $4 at the gas pump.

I agree.

David's presentation glosses over it, but actually the enviromentals are twice as bad as oil. The process creates super clean diesel, but the process of conversion is VERY dirty.

One issue that has yet to be addressed in the emerging discussion about large-scale development of synthetic fuels is the enormous increase in primary energy use and carbon emissions inherent in conversion of gaseous and solid carbon sources to a usable liquid form, assuming the energy used to drive the process comes from burning coal or hydrocarbon fuels. Recent work by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory indicates that full fuel cycle greenhouse gas emissions for coal-based synfuels are nearly twice as high as their petroleum-based equivalent. Emissions of other pollutants are vastly increased as well, although many of these emissions can be captured during production. Carbon sequestration has been suggested as a mitigation strategy for greenhouse gas emissions. However, while sequestration is already in limited use, the science and economics around large-scale sequestration strategies are, as yet, unconvincing.

JohnDoe said:
Even if widespread use of this process results in ZERO price reduction for the consumer, I would still support it if for no other reason than to end our utter dependance on foreign entities for our energy and economic well-being.

Going to email it to my rep's as well.

Edit:
Regardless of this process, I'll add that we most definitely need a Manhatten-style project to develop alternative forms of energy as well. Where's the money you say? How many 100's of billions have we spent over there to keep it stable enough for the oil to flow??

It would be fantastic to wean ourselves off middle east oil and stop the money flowing to these Islamic terrrorists.

We need to include nuclear power technology. No greenhouse emissions there and the electricity could be used to convert coal, make ethanol, hydrogen etc.

As the price of imported oil comes down, raise the taxes on it to keep the home grown energy alternatives viable.

Flaming liberal back. I had to run out to abort a few babies and perform a gay marriage. Great to see the gay parents had already adopted a child.

Nuclear is a great tech that we really need to get a hold of. Call the French they seem to have it perfected.

Hair on Fire. The carbon thing is a real kick in the balls. I think solar and wind are the best bet but one would have to invest billions maybe even trillions to get that rolling. In the U S of A there is only one item that gets that kind of investment.

Crash Pad said:
I would also like to make a mention of global warming. I know everyone on this site thinks it doesn't exist or humans can't do it. Global warming in my view is the real kick in the balls not $4 at the gas pump.
Can't stop Global Warming. The pump has been primed with the Global Economy business model stoked by big business from the good ol USA. China/India want the same goodies we have in this country, and with it will come the bi-products.

Watch how quickly this economy tanks if Iran pulls their oil off the market for a year or so if UN sanctions are passed. They have the cash to survive. All these so called green people would quickly change their tune if unemployment goes to 10-12%, and gas heads to $6 or $7 per gallon.

:pimp:

Iran doesn't have the money to keep oil in house for a year. They can stop selling to us but it is a global comodity. Iran has one source of money and that is oil. 50% of that money goes to paying off the people with subsidised everything. The rest is play money they use for nukes or funding hezbulah. Further gas goes up 2 cents for every dollar. I don't think Iran could trigger oil hitting $200. On a side note 6-7 a gallon would be the best thing that ever happened this country.

I have one word for all the people that think we don't need cheap energy and want gas $10 a gallon.

HAITI

Have you ever been there or at least flown over it. They have cut down most of the trees just to create charcoal to cook with. They have raped their own country's resources just to survive. Why is it difficult to understand that a financially strong America with cheap energy allows us to protect our environment. If we fall to the level of Haiti you will see smog filled cities trying to stay warm while burning the furniture.

Wake up!

I have another word Europe. England is close to $10. The rest of Europe is close behind.

Sorry I woke up late today I was at an all night liberal outing... The readings of Stalin.

I have another word Europe. England is close to $10. The rest of Europe is close behind.

Yeah, that's the direction I want to go.

atafan said:
HAITI

Have you ever been there or at least flown over it. They have cut down most of the trees just to create charcoal to cook with. They have raped their own country's resources just to survive. Why is it difficult to understand that a financially strong America with cheap energy allows us to protect our environment. If we fall to the level of Haiti you will see smog filled cities trying to stay warm while burning the furniture.

Wake up!

I don't know how to address this.
Coal is dirtier than furniture I think. I would think it would at least be carbon neutral.
Cheap energy has everyone raping everyones resources.
A financially strong America has done more damage to the environment globally than anything else in the world.
The only thing that has protected the environment in our country has been the US government.
Smog... Don't get me started.

Latest resources

Back