Dangerous Capt.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cid,

What is your deal? Having a hard time believing that someone can be this big of a prick? You have no idea, and I don't expect you to because you haven't flown with this guy. I have turned to this board for advice in this case because I feel that I have no moral support at my current company for this particular situation. I have it, and I'll move on. I'm amazed, you've been here since '04 and only posted 22 times... and my concerns about a dangerous pilot elicits a post from you?

Oh, thanks for the low-blow on Amy. You're a real piece of work.

Shy
post this BS on some other area please like Commuters, regionals, or Day care, etc etc.
Spineless
Mach8

OK, Sorry, I'll behave from now on. I won't hit you again. You have the aircraft back.

Heh-heh.

That's what happened to me. I take absolutely NOTHING now. I got in a huge blow up recently with a guy - I won't go into specifics, but it involved compliance with procedure. It ain't my first. Problem is - anytime I get into an argument I overreact now due to what happened before.

Trust me - take care of this guy sooner rather than later. Don't wait until you get to walk around a piece of scorched ground like I did (BTW he almost hit a house with 7 people in it - the house did burn but they all got out).

Is this the guy that used to hit his FOs and was also a druggy something like cocaine bust in the past?

I just want to know when are you going to have this conversation with the Chief, after the accident? Ask the Chief to meet with him, in private, and bring the problem to his attention. Document and details help. A pattern is a lot easier to solve than a single incident. If you get fired, you’ll count your blessings after the former workplace makes the evening news. If they solve the problem, you’ll breathe a sigh of relief for not having to deal with the bully anymore. This ain’t second grade and we’re playing for keeps.

Oh don’t worry, sometimes you get years and months to act. Sometimes you get hours.

An 'interview' with an irate NTSB investigator really is not a lot of fun. I had a root canal after one, and the root canal was at least a thousand times more fun, especially when Doc Sawtooth found the raw nerve. BTW, an accident investigation is never closed, even after a probable cause is issued. You could get the warm fuzzy feeling of thumbscrews and the rack at any time in the next 2-3 years after the accident.

Of course, with the NTSB, kind of like a remora on a shark, is the FAA Inspector(s). And these inspectors have to prove to their bosses that they did something. A violation or a letter of warning is a little something, but if they get your certificates suspended or revoked, then they can claim they 'solved' the problem.

This assumes that you don’t have to talk to the families of the deceased. Or make the first phone call that shatters someone’s happy day, or worse, a family friend’s previously happy day.

When the investigation is done, then you get to meet the real sharks, the lawyers for the greedy, er... grieving widow(er)s. One recent lawsuit had compiled over 4 hours of videos showing how great and perfect was every single passenger on board, including the sexual predator in 5A, the abusive wife in 8C, and the twice-convicted but escaped bank robber in 9B.

All of the above have the same question: Why didn't you say anything?

The B52 that crashed at Fairchild AFB found that no one would say anything because the pilot pulled his tricks in front of all the brass, and the brass didn't do anything. The brass knew. Does the brass know of 'your' problem pilot?

Friends will let you cry on their shoulders, commiserate, reminisce about the mutual friends lost, and even the job if the company folds after the accident. But they won't help you with the hardest question. This is the one you ask yourself, even years after the accident.

It's when you think you're finally over the event, have a moment alone to yourself, and the thought hits. . .

"Why didn't I say anything?"

"Why?"

The B52 that crashed at Fairchild AFB found that no one would say anything because the pilot pulled his tricks in front of all the brass, and the brass didn't do anything. The brass knew.

That's an infamous piece of B-roll. It gives me a sick feeling watching that bird slide right down the near-90 deg bank. I seem to recall when the Buff went in, it missed the base munitions bunker by 100 meters or so.

When I read threads like this one, I am so glad to have union protection.

That goes both ways. Unions have been protecting bad teachers for 40 years. A union dues paying pilot, (good or bad) will probably seek the same deal.

It really sucks that the name of your company had to come into light here. Even if the folks that did it think lowly of your past posts calling them dramatic etc. Who cares. Don't go messing with people's jobs. Have some class people.

So sure, we can have the attitude that many seem to have that you shouldn't come on these public boards and discuss interviews, work issues, 'cause it always comes back to bite you they say. Let me remind folks that half of us joining up on these boards are looking for support b/c many of us are alone in our flying endeavors. We all suffer through the stress of personality conflicts in the cockpit, interview and rejection, management conflict, chosen profession's affect on spouse and family, etc..

The point? Pilots should be helping pilots. FI has proven for quite a while now to be a somewhat hostile place when it comes to pilots seeking out support when they don't know where to go next. In today's industry, that includes A LOT of us at times. I have quite an appreciation for FI b/c it was my original source for support back when I was working on my PPL and all the way through CFI. Still a great place for stuff like that. FI has gotten so big with the huge number of airline pilots here that no one can say anything about their company or seek support EVEN when they're going out of their way to be anonymous. Some folks thrive on getting everything out in the open and they go searching old posts to try and uncover them.

Anyway, there are many of us here at FI who know where to go when we really need to talk about something serious with no repercussions. Everything from how to deal with a miserable situation at work to how to deal with a miserable divorce are sometimes the top topics at a site whose motto is "Pilots helping Pilots." I love FI too folks, just be careful what you post here. Even the moderator will tell you that.

Oh and mr. moderator, this is not a plug. No name was mentioned. Just an explanation of why many of us have to go elsewhere at times to discuss certain things.

Last edited:
Anyway, there are many of us here at FI who know where to go when we really need to talk about something serious with no repercussions. Everything from how to deal with a miserable situation at work to how to deal with a miserable divorce are sometimes the top topics at a site whose motto is "Pilots helping Pilots." I love FI too folks, just be careful what you post here. Even the moderator will tell you that.

Oh and mr. moderator, this is not a plug. No name was mentioned. Just an explanation of why many of us have to go elsewhere at times to discuss certain things.

justhelicopters.com had a problem with a decline in the quality of posts. It now has two forums. One is for the "wah-wah-wah your company sux, mine is better than yours" or "check out ytube" people and the other is geared towards professional development. The second is actively moderated to keep the bar high and has become a good place for student to senior pilots to discuss various aviaton subjects.

Just a though.

Sorry to hear this Shy...

I know who you are talking about. I think that most of us have heard stories. My suggestion is to talk to our safety department anonymously. Make sure other FO's will back you up. If it is a safety concern you have to do what's right to protect all that ride on his plane.

Good luck

a company that i used to work at had a guy like that and he had six letters in his file for the same kind of actions and still the company wouldn't do anything. people would refuse to fly with him and they would be treated like the bad guy and force them to fly anyways. finally after the cp and do went to talk with this person and he told them what to do with theirselves he was fired. he still won a lawsuit against the company though. i just goes to show that you can be a toatl ass or the best pilot and still get paid the same.

Latest resources

Back