• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ShyFlyGuy

Major Member
Gentlemen,

I work for a smaller 121 carrier. I won't get into details about where I work, what I fly, or any details whatsoever. I'll get straight to the point.

There is a guy I fly with who is dangerous, and he is going to wreck a plane, get someone hurt, or (God forbid) kill someone. I have flown with him quite a bit over the past two years, the way our schedules work we usually fly with the same guy for the whole month. I have reason to believe that there will be an incident at some point in the near future because he makes stupid mistakes.
  • He has taken his hands off the throttle (and eyes off the runway) at the beginning of the takeoff roll to catch/chase-down stuff (bluetooth headset, cell phone, pens, keys, PDA, MP3 player, etc) that he placed between the visor and windscreen which came sliding off and onto the tiller, his flight bag, and aircraft library (he actually went after the cell phone with his throttle hand, and steered the aircraft toward the left edge of the runway).
  • He has a hard time setting the parking break and either doesn't realize it's not set, or doesn't care that it's not set when we're on taxiways (often resulting in the aircraft rolling forward or aft in a VERY busy airport).
  • He has hit his FOs on numerous occasions (that's plural, he's hit me and several others).
  • The other day, he was about to cross a runway he was told to hold short of, even said "clear left and right" to the FO who had his head down making calculations. The FO looked up to correct him to hold short and they stopped just in time to see a Barron cross in front of them on the takeoff roll (est. 70 kts).
  • He tries to "teach a lesson" to FOs who make minor mistakes on call-outs or profiles (he often turns out to be wrong in his correction) during critical phases of flight (reminiscent of the CFI who shouts at the student over the gear horn through the flair and into touchdown).
  • He is hostile and creates an unsafe cockpit atmosphere. No such thing as CRM with him.
  • During anything other than normal operations, he is near-hysterical and never follows SOP, making nonstandard calls, and ALWAYS takes the plane, rather than fulfilling his role. (e.g. Aborted takeoff due to oil pressure Master Warning alarm as PNF. Checklist says: "PNF: Oil Pressure, ABORT-ABORT-ABORT" This guy: "PNF: MY PLANE!!!
  • His landings are rarely on centerline, never with crosswind correction.
  • The list goes on-and-on, and I know I'm missing the most outrageous violations, but I am in a bit of a hurry and have other things to do, so I hope this gives you an idea... ETC...
Outside of being unsafe for flight, this is his third career, bought all his flight time and never instructed. He's high-strung, short-tempered, and is not a good pilot. His taxiing is horrendous, landings painful, and he just isn't a pilot. He is very proud and excited about his uniform, wears it even for pleasure travel. He is about 2 years from retiring and has always wanted to be a pilot, so it seems he's just playing a role. He doesn't need the money.

It is the consensus of all of the FOs at the base that he is unsafe and will have an incident before his time is up. There are several FAs who will not fly with him, and ALL of them dislike him and are nervous about flying with him (although they maintain a professional attitude throughout).

The base is a small one, but the company is big enough that he's slipped through the cracks at the company. They know he's a difficult personality, but no one has verbalized concerns for fear of him finding out and making life even more difficult with him.

I recently had a confrontation with him and have discussed the idea of a vote of no confidence with other FOs, FAs, and CAs who have flown with him (he's qualified in both seats and flies with other CAs on occasion). The vote would be in the form of a letter to the company detailing concerns and itemized events wherein our lives were threatened or endangered, as well as a refusal to fly with the individual after 30 days of delivery of that letter. Furthermore, should the individual not be removed from the flight-line, I would forward a copy of the letter to the FAA.

I realize that this is mutiny and that it is extremely exceptional, almost unheard-of, but I am scared and tired.

Is this a bad idea? What are your thoughts? What are the possible repercussions (no union, incidentally)? I am not convinced this is a good idea, but it is the best idea. Our CP is a push-over and won't do anything about it if/when anyone mentions anything. Any better ideas? Thank you in advance.

Shy

Last edited:
If your company has Professional Standards you should start there. Then go to the Chiefs if that doesnt correct the situation. Do you have an avoidance bid system? If so and if every FO puts this guys name down then management will have to act on it if no one will fly with him. Chances are they already know hes a problem and maybe more ammunition will make them act on removing him from flight status.

No union, and he's universally disliked? Go for it, tell us how it turns out. Sounds exciting.

Really though, that sounds good, you should at least send an official correspondence to your CP. When you voice your concerns about the safety of the operations of another Pilot, you are protecting the airline from liability, and management should recognize that as a good thing.

the first stop should be to your pro-standards representative. If that doesn't produce results, then take it to the company - ie. chief pilot. The FAA should be the LAST resort..

Gentlemen,

I work for a smaller 121 carrier. I won't get into details about where I work, what I fly, or any details whatsoever. I'll get straight to the point.

There is a guy I fly with who is dangerous, and he is going to wreck a plane, get someone hurt, or (God forbid) kill someone. I have flown with him quite a bit over the past two years, the way our schedules work we usually fly with the same guy for the whole month. I have reason to believe that there will be an incident at some point in the near future because he makes stupid mistakes.
  • He has taken his hands off the throttle (and eyes off the runway) at the beginning of the takeoff roll to catch/chase-down stuff (bluetooth headset, cell phone, pens, keys, PDA, MP3 player, etc) that he placed between the visor and windscreen which came sliding off and onto the tiller, his flight bag, and aircraft library (he actually went after the cell phone with his throttle hand, and steered the aircraft toward the left edge of the runway).
  • He has a hard time setting the parking break and either doesn't realize it's not set, or doesn't care that it's not set when we're on taxiways (often resulting in the aircraft rolling forward or aft in a VERY busy airport).
  • He has hit his FOs on numerous occasions (that's plural, he's hit me and several others).
  • The other day, he was about to cross a runway he was told to hold short of, even said "clear left and right" to the FO who had his head down making calculations. The FO looked up to correct him to hold short and they stopped just in time to see a Barron cross in front of them on the takeoff roll (est. 70 kts).
  • He tries to "teach a lesson" to FOs who make minor mistakes on call-outs or profiles (he often turns out to be wrong in his correction) during critical phases of flight (reminiscent of the CFI who shouts at the student over the gear horn through the flair and into touchdown).
  • He is hostile and creates an unsafe cockpit atmosphere. No such thing as CRM with him.
  • During anything other than normal operations, he is near-hysterical and never follows SOP, making nonstandard calls, and ALWAYS takes the plane, rather than fulfilling his role. (e.g. Aborted takeoff due to oil pressure Master Warning alarm as PNF. Checklist says: "PNF: Oil Pressure, ABORT-ABORT-ABORT" This guy: "PNF: MY PLANE!!!
  • His landings are rarely on centerline, never with crosswind correction.
  • The list goes on-and-on, and I know I'm missing the most outrageous violations, but I am in a bit of a hurry and have other things to do, so I hope this gives you an idea... ETC...
Outside of being unsafe for flight, this is his third career, bought all his flight time and never instructed. He's high-strung, short-tempered, and is not a good pilot. His taxiing is horrendous, landings painful, and he just isn't a pilot. He is very proud and excited about his uniform, wears it even for pleasure travel. He is about 2 years from retiring and has always wanted to be a pilot, so it seems he's just playing a role. He doesn't need the money.

It is the consensus of all of the FOs at the base that he is unsafe and will have an incident before his time is up. There are several FAs who will not fly with him, and ALL of them dislike him and are nervous about flying with him (although they maintain a professional attitude throughout).

The base is a small one, but the company is big enough that he's slipped through the cracks at the company. They know he's a difficult personality, but no one has verbalized concerns for fear of him finding out and making life even more difficult with him.

I recently had a confrontation with him and have discussed the idea of a vote of no confidence with other FOs, FAs, and CAs who have flown with him (he's qualified in both seats and flies with other CAs on occasion). The vote would be in the form of a letter to the company detailing concerns and itemized events wherein our lives were threatened or endangered, as well as a refusal to fly with the individual after 30 days of delivery of that letter. Furthermore, should the individual not be removed from the flight-line, I would forward a copy of the letter to the FAA.

I realize that this is mutiny and that it is extremely exceptional, almost unheard-of, but I am scared and tired.

Is this a bad idea? What are your thoughts? What are the possible repercussions (no union, incidentally)? I am not convinced this is a good idea, but it is the best idea. Our CP is a push-over and won't do anything about it if/when anyone mentions anything. Any better ideas? Thank you in advance.

Shy

Maybe we shouldn't be worried about him, we should be worried about you not having the balls to stand up to this guy. One you say he hit you, Are you a woman. Two, all this stuff he has done and you still fly with him I question your character, (he for sure should not be in this line of work if this is how he is) but for you to keep allowing this to happen is a weakness on your part. Again the fact that he hit you and you have done nothing about it makes me question you. In the end quit Colgan and go somewhere a little better.

Maybe we shouldn't be worried about him, we should be worried about you not having the balls to stand up to this guy. One you say he hit you, Are you a woman. Two, all this stuff he has done and you still fly with him I question your character, (he for sure should not be in this line of work if this is how he is) but for you to keep allowing this to happen is a weakness on your part. Again the fact that he hit you and you have done nothing about it makes me question you. In the end quit Colgan and go somewhere a little better.

Yeah, I'd kick his A$$!!!

No Professional Standards department. Just CP and other 121 required positions. With the CP, dialog will lead to a conversation with the pilot in question, which will lead to a more hostile work environment. The folks who are onboard with this idea have made it clear; they will not sign the letter without a "remove this guy from flight-duty" clause. They do not want to confront or deal with the guy on a personal level.

I might add that he treats his FA and FO like shhhh all day, then at the end of the day, will apologize and try to make up. A lot like an abusive relationship (parent/spouse).

(80, nice guess, but please edit and remove the name of any company... I don't want this thread popping up when someone in the Regionals Board searches any company's name, thanks.)

I dont know bout giving the letter to the feds....not sure if that will do much at all....might put the cptn under the microscope for a bit, but as you say...he might slip right through the cracks again. I agree with professional standards. If you dont have that, can you out right refuse to fly with him? If you all did the same, maybe it would get some attention from above?

Is this guy tall, skinny, greasy hair and nick named "crash" by any chance? Sounds a lot like a guy that flew at this commuter yrs ago. Not to be a hard ass, but if someone threw a fist at me and hit me in the plane, that just wouldnt go over all that well. Hopefully he would like UFC cuz thats how it would end without big John as the ref.......

the first stop should be to your pro-standards representative. If that doesn't produce results, then take it to the company - ie. chief pilot. The FAA should be the LAST resort..
FAA IS the last resort. We are giving the Company opportunity to take action. Again, no Pro Standards rep.

Shy

Latest resources

Back