Dangerous Capt.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
he hit me

I can't even begin to imagine the desperation of someone who would take that sort of abuse and then turn to FlightInfo for help.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your responses. I would get so wound-up in-flight and after each day with the guy that I hustled out of the airport and hit the road as quickly as possible, often times abandoning the flight attendant to put up with him. I have NEVER been confrontational, and after reading how some of you would respond (obviously, this struck a nerve), I realize how much I have RUN from any confrontation.

One time after he had a chest-poking session on the ramp with me in front of passengers about my tie, I did lose it. I refused a trip, but didn't really explain myself to crew scheduling.

I am afraid of the CP and I don't want to talk to anyone over at HQ. All I know is that he is unsafe and I won't fly with him anymore. We don't have a hard-and-fast system that will prevent pilots from being paired-up, but I've let scheduling know that I won't fly with him anymore.

It's pretty clear you don't like being confrontational. Some of the people who responded to your posts are kind of blowhards, but I bet the majority of them (and me) really would have smacked a guy who did this kind of stuff. Most of the middle class in this country is raised to be non-confrontational and sheep-like. Fortunately, many of us especially in the aviation business have learned to chuck that nonsense.

Clearly, since you don't have a union, you need a lawyer. You need someone with experience with hostile workplaces. You clearly have a case, and being non-union you need to take the initiative. Personally, I'd like to see a video of this prick on YouTube in the near future. Preferably, an episode on 60 minutes, since these type of people are at every airline.

In the long run, this will teach you to be more assertive. A LOT more assertive. You cannot be a milquetoast in the left seat. That is just as dangerous a personality type as this guy's.

You must pursue this guy's career. He does not deserve it, and by not pursuing justice you are passing the buck to someone else who is unaware.

If you and others do not act, you may be morally responsible for the deaths of many people.

Want that on your conscience?

C

My family and loved ones, and yours, travelling in the Northeast can't 'bid around' this pilot. Think about that, then do something. Get this guy off the line before he takes 36 people with him. Please.

If this guy has an accident / incident and you are the FO the feds will come after you also. If you sit there while SOP's and regs are being violated you are aiding and abetting careless and reckless operations.

There was an federal case several years ago where ALPA defended a pilot, FO, who was alleged to have allowed his captain to fly while under the influence of alcohol. An agent smelled booze on the captains breath and called the company and had him tested. He tested positiive. The feds came after the FO, because they said he should have been able to smell the alcohol on the captains breath.

I don't remember the ocutcome of this violation, but it required lots of ALPA National time and money. If you have an accident with this guy they will come after you, even if you win the case, why go through it in the first place.

Do whatever you have to do to either get rid of this guy or find a way not to fly with him.

I guess I don't have to worry about writing the letter. I know management checks this place out and regularly searches for posts about their company, no doubt this will now be at the top of the list. Nice...

Shy

Looks like you're more than happy to take the non-confrontational route, again.

According to you, the company will find out about it anyway. You still have a chance to let them hear it directly from you. If you don't take a stand on this - what will you stand up for?

How do you react when scheduling leans on you? When you get to the left seat, how will you handle an aggressive FO?

In the long run, this will teach you to be more assertive. A LOT more assertive.

That's what happened to me. I take absolutely NOTHING now. I got in a huge blow up recently with a guy - I won't go into specifics, but it involved compliance with procedure. It ain't my first. Problem is - anytime I get into an argument I overreact now due to what happened before.

Trust me - take care of this guy sooner rather than later. Don't wait until you get to walk around a piece of scorched ground like I did (BTW he almost hit a house with 7 people in it - the house did burn but they all got out).

Put it in writing, save a copy for yourself, go to the CP with the letter and tell your story. If the pilot in question is as bad as you say, then the CP should act. If not, next level will be the FAA and I see no reason why you should not say this to the CP. IOW, either act and keep it inhouse or you continue up the line.

Safety is paramount in this bussiness, sure you might be able to avoid him, but the next guy may not be able to and the passengers have no clue how unsafe he is.

You are given a hard task, but you have no choice, you must bring this matter forward.

Pilots are such D!cks. The guy made it clear that he did not want to get into where he works.

I think it is a very valid point. Colgan fly's under they Continental system where my family flies and I deadhead. I don't want this situation going on in the cockpit of one of those flights.

Latest resources

Back