• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dangerous Capt.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
>> During anything other than normal operations, he is near-hysterical and never follows SOP, making nonstandard calls, and ALWAYS takes the plane, rather than fulfilling his role. (e.g. Aborted takeoff due to oil pressure Master Warning alarm as PNF. Checklist says: "PNF: Oil Pressure, ABORT-ABORT-ABORT" This guy: "PNF: MY PLANE!!! <<

I'm not defending this guy, cause it can't be done.....but: Your co. is too "wordy" on a critical situation like an aborted T/O. At TWA with the F/O making the T/O the Captain said: "I've got it". At American the Capt says "Abort" and grabs the controls. Slightly different words but the same theme; very few words in a situation with no time for words. For the PNF to see the problem then formulate the specific words and then say Abort 3 times, well by then you're off the end of the runway!

Shy guy, since you have no pro standards, go directly to old man Colgan and tell him about this guy and show him the marks he left from hitting you. That should be enough proof for old man Colgan to take action.

Shy guy, since you have no pro standards, go directly to old man Colgan and tell him about this guy and show him the marks he left from hitting you. That should be enough proof for old man Colgan to take action.
The Hit, once again, was open handed, flat on the chest about as hard as you would give someone high-five after a sweet slam dunk: pretty hard, but not hard enough to leave a mark. One time it was the back of the hand across the left shoulder/arm. Again, pretty hard, but nothing to write home about.

Thank you all for your responses. I would get so wound-up in-flight and after each day with the guy that I hustled out of the airport and hit the road as quickly as possible, often times abandoning the flight attendant to put up with him. I have NEVER been confrontational, and after reading how some of you would respond (obviously, this struck a nerve), I realize how much I have RUN from any confrontation.

One time after he had a chest-poking session on the ramp with me in front of passengers about my tie, I did lose it. I refused a trip, but didn't really explain myself to crew scheduling.

I've been thinking about all this, everything you guys have said, and I'm actually getting embarassed about how big of a push-over I've been and how I've succumbed to his psychological game. I am afraid of the CP and I don't want to talk to anyone over at HQ. All I know is that he is unsafe and I won't fly with him anymore. We don't have a hard-and-fast system that will prevent pilots from being paired-up, but I've let scheduling know that I won't fly with him anymore. I've been told not to rock the boat and keep a low profile. All that seems to have done is kept me out of upgrade (he alleges that he's called HQ and warned the CP about me and my "attitude"). I didn't think about it at the time, but it is humiliating to have guys ridicule me for not having stood up to this prick, but I've never had to stand up for myself. I've never been attacked like that. That's why I wanted this post to be as anynonomous (sp?) as possible, but it's pretty obvious that some folks know who I work for, and eventually will figure out who I am and what base I'm at. Nothing more humiliating than that. Sweet.

I guess I don't have to worry about writing the letter. I know management checks this place out and regularly searches for posts about their company, no doubt this will now be at the top of the list. Nice...

Shy

Last edited:
You have got to figure out if you are going to stay in this profession or not. Avoidance bidding is a cop out when it comes to safety issues. I know that this is easier said than done. It is easier to sleep at night after doing the right thing than letting it slide.

You may be surprised by management's take on this. What many pilots regard as common knowledge may not be so among mgmt. I am always amazed when pilots complain about someone and you ask the CP about them and they say no one will come in and say anything. Even if they are aware on a second-hand level, they cannot take action on strictly hearsay. Don't expect them to do anything by reading comments on an anonymous forum either.

If the company will tolerate this behavior from a captain, the job is not worth keeping. Say your peace and move on.

Wow... I think I know who you are talking about. I wont mention names or bases but it is south of mason dixon and he is an old stupid bastard. I observed him doing IOE once with a transition captain. YES FOLKS HE IS A Check Airman. Most people who have seniority bid around him. He is an absolute menace and he does slip through cracks. It is one of those bases that for some reason doesnt get much attention from the brain factory. Long flight legs and out of the way. Talking to him wont do much good. He isnt going to listen. He is awaiting retirement with his pass privilidges intact. Some things you can do. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. Every event. fill out company ASA report and send them into safety officer. Yes he reads all reports that are sent in. I know that for a fact. Dont mention names but maybe put crew base. Encourage all other FOs FAs to do same. Keep stack of reports and fill them out during cruise or in between flights. DONT BE SILENT IN COCKPIT. You make sure you get everything on tape. Every protest and every correction. When flight is done.... you get out the book and ask him to explain what he is doing because you are confused and cannot fly non standard. Make his life as miserable as he does others. If he refuses to explain himself then you tell him that you have no choice but to ask Director of Standards or Chief Pilot because it conflicts with your training. Dont argue during critical phase of flight but dont drop it either. I agree with others about not letting the flight go when things are unsafe. People have been fired when other pilots refuse to fly with someone and all the details come out. One thing you cant do is walk off and not fly and not blow whistle. You cannot let him fly with some other FO they bring in to replace you. If you truly believe he is unsafe and it sounds like you do.... it is the same as letting a guy you think is drunk fly. Just because you wont fly you cant let someone else. It is the toughest decision. I think the idea of the letter is good.... but everyone should bring it to HQ and stand united. As tough as it is to train pilots etc..... if they see FOs that dont want to fly and might quit, knowing how hard it is to get good FOs now one captain in a company getting fat on captains and is close to retirement isnt worth saving and he will get what is coming to him. Oh and if he ever lays a finger on anyone then that person needs to go to parking lot with him, remove ID and tell him if he wants to get physical then he can start then. I bet he gets stick shakers on take off a lot doesnt he

I flew with a guy like this, and now he's dead. And he took three people with him. I was NOT with him because I quit - it was a corporate gig, and he was the chief pilot, and he sang in church choir with the company owner (who is now one of the dead guys), so I knew what the outcome of any confrontation would be.

Do yourself a favor - look up the crash of a beechjet in ~1991 in Rome Georgia - the one owned by Bruno's. I knew those guys too and that captain was just like what you described. His F/O didn't quit (though he did go to the CEO to complain). The CEO and the F/O are both dead now too.

Bottom line: don't ever underestimate how bad this situation can get. Do something NOW or turn in your ID and let someone else go to glory with him. I speak from (traumatic) experience.

Huck,

You get right to the point. As you can imagine, I have flown with many guys like this at my airline. Some of them are dead, and some of them have killed others. The rest sustain themselves as a menace to others until they get their shot at becoming a smoking hole. Due to attrition, these guys tend to slip through. It is too bad, because they will hurt someone that is innocent.

Shy,

Do whatever it takes to remove this guy from the system. We have done these things before at my employer, all with great success. Sadly, even though they may be fired, they end up flying somewhere else. Their logbook only shows that they have a great level of experience, not their level of competence. That is where most of the guys were killed or crashed aircraft. If you want more detailed info, pm me. I will try to help you out.

Ruskie

The Hit, once again, was open handed, flat on the chest about as hard as you would give someone high-five after a sweet slam dunk: pretty hard, but not hard enough to leave a mark. One time it was the back of the hand across the left shoulder/arm. Again, pretty hard, but nothing to write home about.

Have you considered maybe martial arts and lifting weights. Also, intimidating stares and body language can be intimidating. A lot of times when I fly with a known difficult Capt, during the first lef of the trip I will finish a checklist with a tough stare so he knows I mean business and not going to take anything. Tone of voice can also let him know who is the tougher dude.

One time after he had a chest-poking session on the ramp with me in front of passengers about my tie, I did lose it. I refused a trip, but didn't really explain myself to crew scheduling.

Was your tie out of wack? If it was then maybe you deserved it? Always be professional.

I've been told not to rock the boat and keep a low profile. All that seems to have done is kept me out of upgrade

Just confront him. Tell him you will screw his wife if he doesn't stop. If he smiles, laughs and says he doesn't care then well, she is either fat and ugly (And not worth it) or he is gay. Either way, you need to find a new job at this point. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

CA1900 Im sorry to have to say this, but, YOU RULE!

Im going to have to put that in the memory bank. MILFs

Latest resources

Back