• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL Regional Feed?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How is it that you guys claim to know what the costs of doing business are at all these carriers? How do you know that ASA is more expensive to run than Mesaba? Personally, I think its a pretty far fetched idea that Mesaba can operate 17 CRJ-200s cheaper than ASA can operate 110 of them regardless of a pilot contract.

If you have studied knowledge of the balance sheets on these carriers please identify that. If your just an armchair executive please make that known so we can ignore you.

Look, unless I'm being lied to my face, I am just saying what I have been told by the two highest execs at ASA. I know Speedtape will say I am just a gullible footsoldier falling for whatever I am told, but I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. What do they have to gain by lying to me? As far as I know, the managers want to add aircraft and flying as well as the pilots. Anyway, my question to their faces is why we can't secure any addition flying in our own backyard. Without seeing the balance sheets, I was told ASA is 4th lowest cost among DCI. I was then told that Mesaba had the lowest cost structure, and as far as they knew, Mesaba was getting the rest of the Freedumb 900's post merger and lawsuit!

Skeptical, as I am, I asked how costs are compared? How is it even apples to apples, and I was told each carrier had a block hour cost breakdown as to what they can fly each plane for. (Costs + Profit, etc..) I was told ASA is NOT competitive for the 900's. Delta could care less who is in what base, blah blah.....Then I said.....So, reliability, performance, etc is not considered. It is in fact simply bottom line cost that decides who flies? The question was danced around, obviously, because the bonuses of top management depend on the performance we deliver them.

Look, unless I'm being lied to my face, I am just saying what I have been told by the two highest execs at ASA. I know Speedtape will say I am just a gullible footsoldier falling for whatever I am told, but I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. What do they have to gain by lying to me? As far as I know, the managers want to add aircraft and flying as well as the pilots. Anyway, my question to their faces is why we can't secure any addition flying in our own backyard. Without seeing the balance sheets, I was told ASA is 4th lowest cost among DCI. I was then told that Mesaba had the lowest cost structure, and as far as they knew, Mesaba was getting the rest of the Freedumb 900's post merger and lawsuit!

Skeptical, as I am, I asked how costs are compared? How is it even apples to apples, and I was told each carrier had a block hour cost breakdown as to what they can fly each plane for. (Costs + Profit, etc..) I was told ASA is NOT competitive for the 900's. Delta could care less who is in what base, blah blah.....Then I said.....So, reliability, performance, etc is not considered. It is in fact simply bottom line cost that decides who flies? The question was danced around, obviously, because the bonuses of top management depend on the performance we deliver them.

There's definitely some truth to that. Probably why Delta offered us the 1 for 2 900 special since by having a net loss of 14 planes (14 Freedom 900s for 28 200s), it would have cut cost and got rid of 50s. Anyhow, Mesaba's coming to ATL. That's for sure...

Jumpers,

I don't have a problem with the rest of your post. But I do question your airplane recognition skills.

Skywest has 17 CRJ900, and none of them has ever been registered with an EV tail number. You probably won't believe me, so you can search the FAA database. All of them went from the temporary factory canadian registration, to an SK tail number.

Were the 900's destined for ASA? I don't know. But I do know that none of them ever had an EV registration.

SSDD is right. The 900's never had EV regs. One Skywest 700 that I'm aware of had the EV reg. That was N701EV which became N609SK.

There is proof out there in the transcripts from Delta lawyers at the bankruptcy hearings. A lawyer stated that Delta had ordered 22 CRJ900 aircraft specifically (and he used that word, specifically) for ASA.

The transcript was posted here a long time ago and I have no time to wade through thousands of posts to find it but I'm sure someone will look it up and refresh our memories.

Of course this is before Skywest bought ASA and it's outstanding orders. And did what they wanted with their orders.

They were INTENDED for ASA but never ASA's 900's.

There is proof out there in the transcripts from Delta lawyers at the bankruptcy hearings. A lawyer stated that Delta had ordered 22 CRJ900 aircraft specifically (and he used that word, specifically) for ASA.

The transcript was posted here a long time ago and I have no time to wade through thousands of posts to find it but I'm sure someone will look it up and refresh our memories.

Of course this is before Skywest bought ASA and it's outstanding orders. And did what they wanted with their orders.

They were INTENDED for ASA but never ASA's 900's.

Yes, and years ago, we were SUPPOSE to fly the DL 737-200's that they were retiring. I heard they still have two engines in crates for them at Macon hanger.

Maybe we should race to the bottom and undercut Mesaba by taking paycuts. Who's volunteering first?

Well, that may explain the "economics" explanation that the Comair president gave during a recent webcast. If the deal is DL wants a 1 for 2 on the 900's, then Comair would be reduced below the minimum fleet numbers in the ALPA CBA, resulting in a snapback to Contract 2001.

Well, that may explain the "economics" explanation that the Comair president gave during a recent webcast. If the deal is DL wants a 1 for 2 on the 900's, then Comair would be reduced below the minimum fleet numbers in the ALPA CBA, resulting in a snapback to Contract 2001.

Precisely. Mesaba fits the "economics" explanation as they have a fairly junior pilot group, not bad but lower payrates, and 17 or so CRJ200s that they're probably willing to give up.

Precisely. Mesaba fits the "economics" explanation as they have a fairly junior pilot group, not bad but lower payrates, and 17 or so CRJ200s that they're probably willing to give up.

What would happen to the long term leases that NW has on those 17 200's. I doubt the bank would just say, sure we can just lease those to the other airlines beating down our door for 200's. They are not in BK. They can't just give them back to the bank. Now, if there is a deal with the bank to replace them with new 900 deliveries, then maybe.

Last edited:
ASA's performance numbers are containing the hemoraging of flying. If our numbers drop, watch how fast the things disappear that have to do with our efficiency- ie. crew meals, drawer swaps, crew shuttle, etc. This place would be back to 2006 standards- and I don't think anyone wants that. Yes, people are bitching about new airplanes, but what no one is commenting on, is how we've managed to jump the shark and keep what we have, less the ATR's, and stayed away from furloughs.

It's offical- pilots will bitch about anything. Not wanting to put your birth date in the FMS- Gimme' a friggin break! Not like anyone cares enough to take note anyways. Upset because you are growing older and the FMS reminds you of that- the alternative to age progression sucks. That's right up there with rephrasing and calling the "cockpit" the "flightdeck". Good lord!

Latest resources

Back