DAL/NWA pilots RE: furlough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JimmyKool

Now that the kegs of Kool Aid are nearly beat do you honestly think the party will continue? Most DAL pilots on here seem to think so but what are most line pilots sayn?

All reports continue to be that Delta will be hiring in 2009, pretty big hiring unless the economy tanks and I'm growing food in my front yard.

In the mean time, there is talk of NWA furloughing into Delta new hire slots, but nobody actually hitting the street ... and this talk is hugely speculative.

Now that the kegs of Kool Aid are nearly beat do you honestly think the party will continue? Most DAL pilots on here seem to think so but what are most line pilots sayn?

What are pilots saying? usually?
That it's the end of the world, We're severely under paid (25 year captain at a Major), the industry will never be the same, go do another more respectful career and ummmm..... Oh yeah MESA SUCKS.

Why is everybody at the regionals so afraid of furlough? Is it the in house cool aid to keep the pilots from going to the majors? Or guys who can't get hired anywhere else spread it around?

The truth is I'd rather be furloughed Delta pilot, then a pilot at a regional.
If you have half brains, clean cut and on time tons of rewarding opportunities will open up.

All reports continue to be that Delta will be hiring in 2009, pretty big hiring unless the economy tanks and I'm growing food in my front yard.

In the mean time, there is talk of NWA furloughing into Delta new hire slots, but nobody actually hitting the street ... and this talk is hugely speculative.

The only people that are saying anything about NWA furloughs are a few DAL pilots on random forums. :rolleyes:

RE: Updated Pilot Staffing Plan

"....to prepare for the incremental staffing required by the implementation of the Delta scheduling and staffing rules. In doing so, we are anticipating awards in both the B747-400 and A330 Captain positions. Both of these positions should experience a steady volume of awards throughout 2009, starting with the January 2009 APA, which will be published later this week.

One other key factor that will drive changes in pilot staffing is a planned reduction in scheduled Cargo flying anticipated to go into effect at the conclusion of the 2008 holiday flying period. This reduction is expected to generate displacements from all three 747-200 positions. The impact of these displacements will be minimized if pilots choose to bid to other aircraft types on their own. These displacements may have a small ripple effect of displacements on other fleets. Coupled with the growth in the B744 and A330 CA positions, we will do our best to minimize this ripple effect to the best of our ability through the APA process.

Narrowbody positions are likely to see some small positional movement, particularly to the A320 fleet as we attempt to balance the remaining narrowbody surpluses across all three narrowbody fleets. This will be achieved through APA awards and not through displacements. Most importantly, we have no plans to furlough any pilots."

Last edited:
Thanks for the posting Super. It amazes me how the rumors get started, and how quickly people pick them up as fact.

For now, NWA/DAL have a certain momentum going forward, and that should continue into the third quarter 2009. Beyond that,...who knows ?

Yup, the glass is half full:) ... just don't spill what you got!

Thanks for the posting Super. It amazes me how the rumors get started, and how quickly people pick them up as fact.

For now, NWA/DAL have a certain momentum going forward, and that should continue into the third quarter 2009. Beyond that,...who knows ?

Yup, the glass is half full:) ... just don't spill what you got!

No problem, i get sick of people posting random BS just trying to stir the pot. If we are ever going to move forward as a single pilot group we must stop trying to cut each others legs off.

The key to no spilling what you got is to not allow yourself to get to wrapped up in all of this stuff. ;) I have way to much time left with this new company to get worked up and spill my cup :beer:

RE: Updated Pilot Staffing Plan

"....to prepare for the incremental staffing required by the implementation of the Delta scheduling and staffing rules. In doing so, we are anticipating awards in both the B747-400 and A330 Captain positions. Both of these positions should experience a steady volume of awards throughout 2009, starting with the January 2009 APA, which will be published later this week.

Are you telling me that adoption of DALPA scheduling and staffing rules will lead to advancements due to a need for more 747-400 captains and A330 captains?

Not bad.

Latest resources

Back