• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL junior Pilots sold down the river by NEW MEC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My point is that, if this is what we have to look forward to as a mid-contract improvement, I am quite worried.
FDJ, do you see this as a true gain by this group? I do not. Many of my peers do not either.

There are just major issues with this. Do you admit that?

Does it specifiy which 6 seats are removed? Do they have to come from first class (the ones that hurt?)

I do not think so. As I read it they can take any six seats out of these 71-76 seat airframes.
Fact is that they are initially blocked off. They have time to take them out. I would guess that they will not be sold. but the gate agents would use them in an oversold situation. (gives DAL time to work a work around with DALPA, IMHO)

" synergies."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... Stop it General you're killing me here...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Certainly you know that "synergies" is a Management term meaning: " We are planning to f-ck you hard in the long run, but we'll make it seem like a good idea at the time."

Right?

Last edited:
OK for my first post ever. It's time to get off the sidelines....I'm ready to recall my union reps.
I have been watching my quality of life slip away for the past 2 years. Where's the DFR here? AND I have to pay my union(dues assessment) so that I can sue them over the JPWA???? WTF over. The best thing to come out of this merger will (one day) be the back-bone of the NWA group. Sorry for the rant...

Last edited:
My point is that, if this is what we have to look forward to as a mid-contract improvement, I am quite worried.
FDJ, do you see this as a true gain by this group? I do not. Many of my peers do not either.

There are just major issues with this. Do you admit that?

No, I don't see this as a true gain, nor do I see this as a major change in scope. It's a compromise/settlement.

76 seaters are capped at 153 until we get above 767 mainline jets, that's less than a 2% increase in mainline jets. Considering that we are in the middle of a major recession, a 2% increase in mainline aircraft from what we have today is not inconceiveable once we emerge from this economic environment. I think we'll see those 767 mainline jets before we see the 154th 76 seater. Do I like it? NO! But the sky isn't falling either.

Could this have been handled better? YES. Would the end result have been the same? Probably.

Just some info on RJ's, while we have started operating many more 76 seaters in 2008, we also dumped 120 RJs in 2008. And while the 76 seaters are capped at 153 in 2009 or until we have 767 mainline jets, we'll continue to dump many many more RJs this year. The company is authorized 255 70/76 seaters, they have 224 with no more 76 seaters scheduled for delivery above the 153rd.

FDJ2,

The fact is that the union apparently doesn't understand that the sentiment and desire of the pilot group is no further scope relief is wanted (this is scope relief, no matter how you spin it) and must be fought tooth and nail!

These big RJs are our replacements...they have a first class, they have long range, and they aren't a sardine can like a CRJ-200.

I would have rather it have been fought tooth and nail and lost in arbitration than have just given in and gotten worthless "furlough protection."

Couldn't Moak have at least fought to bring everyone under the 9/11 "furlough protection?"

Even after all this further explaination and clarification from the union... I'm even more ticked off at them than I was initially. Even the CA I'm flying with on this trip spent around half of the 4 hour leg yesterday ranting about this latest move of idiocy. ...and we all know when it ticks off even the senior widebody guys, they've really screwed up.

As I wrote to my rep....maybe one day when we are all out of a job and every Delta airplane has an "Operated by ____ Airlines" on the side of it, the union will finally understand that things have long since been allowed to slide too far.

Scope is by far the most important issue with airline labor today...

No, I don't see this as a true gain, nor do I see this as a major change in scope. It's a compromise/settlement.

76 seaters are capped at 153 until we get above 767 mainline jets, that's less than a 2% increase in mainline jets. Considering that we are in the middle of a major recession, a 2% increase in mainline aircraft from what we have today is not inconceiveable once we emerge from this economic environment. I think we'll see those 767 mainline jets before we see the 154th 76 seater. Do I like it? NO! But the sky isn't falling either.

Could this have been handled better? YES. Would the end result have been the same? Probably.

Just some info on RJ's, while we have started operating many more 76 seaters in 2008, we also dumped 120 RJs in 2008. And while the 76 seaters are capped at 153 in 2009 or until we have 767 mainline jets, we'll continue to dump many many more RJs this year. The company is authorized 255 70/76 seaters, they have 224 with no more 76 seaters scheduled for delivery above the 153rd.

I am quite glad that you admit that this could have been handled differently. That message needs to be told to OUR MEC and told quite loudly. Scope is no longer for sale. I do not care what we have to do to make it so, we are not willing to give up anymore than we already have. I thought that was clear, that is why this is so insulting to so many of us.
Does our MEC now understand that???!!

All I will say is that we better not see that 154th 76 seat jet on property before we see the 767th mainline jet. That is another direct violation of scope and this settlement. If that happens all of our fears will be validated.
I know what we are doing with the 50 seat DCI a/c. I also know that the pull down has been slowed down for the time being. I am glad to see that our guys in route management realize that these jets are not money makers. Yes, brand loyalty is dead, but people will not forgive you for bad service even if they pay 99 bucks round trip. It is the Quality that these jets bring. Problem, with the 76 seaters is that they are a good quality. In effect it is good that DAL has the possibility of making back some of its losses on DCI, but they sould be making it back on the mainline list. Not as some B or C scale.
Why do we see DCI as a good thing again??

I have watched over the last 15 years as DCI has grown. After 9-11 DCI grew to a huge operator of DAL branded flights. There are 7500 DCI pilots. We in effect shrunk mainline (pre merger) from 10500 to 6600 pilots. Parking the L15, MD-11, 732, and 727's. That right there is why DCI grew. In effect we had 4000 mainline jobs go do DCI in the last six years. Enough is enough.

FDJ2: Thank you for your logical posts. You put up some very good information.

ACL65: Thank you for pushing for that information.

FDJ2 - is there any chance ALPA has got the economics wrong? Your use of the word RJ interchangeably for both a CRJ100, an E135 and a CRJ 900 or E175...it is a gross oversimplification and fails to recognize that the newest generation of these jets have better numbers on mainline routes than our equipment being replaced.

This outsourcing leaves our union fundamentally weaker than before, establishing a long term downward trend with lower highs and lower lows.

Can you address this concern? Thanks.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back