• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dal/jal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They did not get hired when "times were tough".... 2007-ish is when Compass started up and hired the most pilots.

They get to flow due to the JPWA(not sure if I got that acronym right) being approved by both pilot groups thus keeping the flow though intact for the time being. Yes there are a few "back-pack types" over there just like any other regional.

Hi!

I read on another thread that the Compass guys have to meet ALL the DAL requirements (like a College Degree, which is VERY important, just ask PilotYIP about it!). After 30 months at Compass, and after they are Capt, they are elligible to flow up, 20/month, with a max of 20% of Compass pilots in one year flowing up. Just flew as a PAX on a Compass flight where the captain will be in the top 5 to flow up the first month that DAL hires (1st 20 from Compass, then 5 from Mesaba, then open to all others).

cliff
GRB

So those without a bachelors degree can not flow?

Interesting.... I can not remember, but I do not think that was a requirement at Compass....wonder how that will turn out. Delta has every right to set certain qualifications and enforce them as they see fit. But then again, I am one of those that support the 4-year degree requirement for most legacy airlines.

DAL could now be taking over their cargo ops (747-4 and 767-3 freighters)

UPDATE 1-JAL, Nippon Yusen air cargo talks hit snag - Nikkei
Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:18pm ESTStocks

Jan 29 (Reuters) - The talks for the merger of air cargo operations of ailing Japan Airlines Corp (9205.T) and Nippon Yusen KK (9101.T) have reached an impasse over the basic framework of the deal, the Nikkei business daily reported.

In August last year, the two companies had agreed to combine their air cargo businesses by April 2010.

The plan called for JAL to spin off cargo operations, which would then be absorbed by Nippon Yusen unit Nippon Cargo Airlines Co. Nippon Yusen was to own a 50 to 60 percent interest in the new entity, with JAL holding the rest, Nikkei reported.

After JAL filed for bankruptcy protection last week, the state-backed Enterprise Turnaround Initiative Corp (ETIC) of Japan sought to sell off the cargo business or keep JAL's stake in the merged company to a minimum, the newspaper said.

"Doing so would remove the cargo operation's aircraft and roughly 3,000 employees from the balance sheet. The segment has been logging an operating loss of more than 20 billion yen a year," the Nikkei reported.

ETIC is overseeing JAL's reorganization.

The daily said Nippon Yusen opposes taking on the additional personnel, and quoted a senior executive saying that "the talks may be broken off". (Reporting by Ashutosh Joshi in Bangalore; Editing by Gopakumar Warrier)

Interesting.... I can not remember, but I do not think that was a requirement at Compass....wonder how that will turn out. Delta has every right to set certain qualifications and enforce them as they see fit. But then again, I am one of those that support the 4-year degree requirement for most legacy airlines.

There are about five guys/gals at CPS without a degree. Not a huge issue. One that will have to be dealt with though.

Looks like lots of opportunities for DL with the JAL bankruptcy. But it's still a foreign airline, so I'm sure the intricacies of what DL can and can't do are impressive. Let's just hope that it all works out and JAp can become a strong partner and survive and DL can finish integrating with NWA and get on with the show.

Last edited:
Looks like lots of opportunities for DL with the JAL bankruptcy. But it's still a foreign airline, so I'm sure the intricacies of what DL can and can't do are impressive. Let's just hope that it all works out and JAp can become a strong partner and survive and DL can finish integrating with NWA and get on with the show.

Thanks to merging with NWA "ORIENT", we have 5th freedom rights to fly from NRT to other Asian cities, something most airlines cannot do. We are essentially Japan's 3rd INTL airline. If JAL wants to give up routes or planes, we are the natural choice to fly them. It really depends on what JAL wants to do. Early on they stated they might want to mainly be a "domestic" airline within Japan and just get stronger financially. If that were the case, then we, along with other SkyTeam members stand to gain a lot. I don't really know if that is the case, and I am sure we will learn more as time goes on. It could be really great for us, or it could be a codeshare that still helps bring up revenue.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back