• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dal Int'l Comes Home To Roost

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's why I've been saying that you Delta guys can't rely on the international flying to bail you out. This should have been a surprise to no one. Next year, the review will embrace further cuts. If people can't afford to travel, it really doesn't matter what fuel costs. Rough times are ahead period.

I tried to warn everyone.

History is repeating itself..... These goombahs did exactly the same thing with the Pan Am routes in the early 90s-and it durn near bankrupted them back then. That economic cycle was a mere bump-in-the-road compared to the current canyon.

Oh well-maybe this time they really are too big to liquidate.
-Let's hope-for your sake, Gen....

-What would that guy do if he could not be the village ass-clown?

Since we're talking predictions here, here's another one. Delta will oppose the UAL/CO merger which will be in progress by next summer.

I tried to warn everyone.

History is repeating itself..... These goombahs did exactly the same thing with the Pan Am routes in the early 90s-and it durn near bankrupted them back then. That economic cycle was a mere bump-in-the-road compared to the current canyon.

Oh well-maybe this time they really are too big to liquidate.
-Let's hope-for your sake, Gen....

-What would that guy do if he could not be the village ass-clown?

Come on now. IF we see problems ahead of time, we will trim the schedule. We also have a heck of a lot more feed domestically than Pan Am did, and we have the Skyteam alliance. Pan Am went out on it's own and died by itself. We also have more cash than anyone else, and gas is the lowest it has been for awhile. Your CRJ job is really the one you should watch, since you will lose yours before I even get close to losing mine. Looks like you need to be looking for a village to live in, and not one in NYC. You'll never afford it. Try Asia, they are looking for RJs.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Since we're talking predictions here, here's another one. Delta will oppose the UAL/CO merger which will be in progress by next summer.

If they have overlapping hubs or routes from slot controlled airports, we probably will. Take a look at our overlap---almost non existant. (12 total routes---between our respective hubs) Wouldn't you?

Bye Bye--General Lee

If they have overlapping hubs or routes from slot controlled airports, we probably will. Take a look at our overlap---almost non existant. (12 total routes---between our respective hubs) Wouldn't you?

Bye Bye--General Lee

CO and UAL are very quietly pulling down the overlapping flying. That's why it will take several months before the merger re-appears.

We also have a heck of a lot more feed domestically than Pan Am did,

Bye Bye--General Lee

...much of that feed is on RJ's.............As fuel prices and pax traffic drops...those RJs are back in play....Their demise was pre-mature......

...much of that feed is on RJ's.............As fuel prices and pax traffic drops...those RJs are back in play....Their demise was pre-mature......

I think that depends on how Big D decides to trim capacity. If the decision is to switch to a smaller gauge aircraft on most routes perhaps.

However, if the decision is that the way to higher efficiency is through less frequency than I'd say not. They'll simply combine what was two or three flights to two different hubs that leave within an hour or two of each other into one larger aircraft to one hub.

Let's face it, unless you're an O&D passenger at one of the hubs, the bulk of the domestic network is overlap. The average passenger doesn't give a horse's pitoot about where they're gonna connect.

I also wouldn't count on fuel prices staying at $50/bbl for the long term either. Once the bailout money starts rolling off the printing presses at full speed, don't be surprised if there will be a run on the dollar. That run will lead to the inflation of commodity prices across the spectrum. I don't think we'll see $147/bbl, but I wouldn't suspect it'll stay below $50 for very long.

CO and UAL are very quietly pulling down the overlapping flying. That's why it will take several months before the merger re-appears.

That does seem to be the case. Delta has already given the joint venture between CO and UAL trouble. Asking for more information and just trying to delay the process.

All this talk about drop in demand. I wonder how this will affect CAL? I remember an article a couple of years ago in the WSJ. It described the differences in the international expansion between Delta and CAL. Wish I could track it down.

Latest resources

Back