• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL Info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DL is interviewing plenty of CMR guys and gals. I am not sure if they are getting jobs, but I do know that many have interviewed.

Hey General all I did was ask a question, Acarpe being himself responded with an insult. I was not at CMR when this situation developed so I have no idea of what really went on. It was just a question not looking to be insulted. UBA757

As a formally furloughed Delta pilot, I am against hiring Comair pilots for the simple reason of their policy of resignation before they would hire us while furloughed.

Let's be honest, most furloughees were not going to give up thier recall rights to fly for Comair. Most of us either did the military or commuter thing and we were lucky, and skillful, to get the job at DAL. To demand resignation would be similar in asking a major league baseball player to give up any rights to return to the majors to go play at some AAA team while on injured reserve. My time at the commuters, and at another major before Delta were spent with 100% perception that these companies were stepping stone jobs to get to one of the "Big Three" airlines--that was my, and most of the furloughees, goals and career aspirations. To require giving this achievement up to step back was unrealistic and unrequired by Comair and the Comair Union.

I understand ASA also had a similar requirement in place when the furloughs commenced at Delta; the MEC and pilot group realized this and worked with their management to change the policy to help us. Comair pilots did not change until (1) Delta was recalling furloughed pilots and was, at the time, required to return all Delta furloughees under a set schedule; (2) Letter 46 was signed at Delta, in which Comair and others could recieve 76 seat aircraft in exchange for hiring furlougees without resignation. Only then was Comair willing to change their policy--not to help out the furloughees, but to caputre the 76 seat flying.

The argument posed by Comair pilots is, "the senior Comair pilots made the decisions. I was junior and didn't have a say." doesn't work. The Union represents the pilots and works on behalf of the pilot group, NOT the other way around. Every Comair pilot has a say, and the majority at Comair still rules, not the Totalitarian leadership that many Comair pilots now claim is in place.

I was lucky. I found a secure job outside of aviation making good money, home every night, and have developed a skill set transferrable to any mid- or large-scale company. I now have a viable "backup" plan should the industry go into the crapper. That being said, I still disagree with the Comair pilots on their treatment of us, and I believe my opion is in majority of all Delta pilots--both furloughed and those that weren't.

Did I support Comair during their strike? I paid dues, and at the request of my LEC sat at my local airport (RDU) on my days off making sure that none of the Comair scheduled flying was being done by other feeders, i.e. flying struck work. Yet during my and my fellow pilots time of need, no reciprication was given.

A long term view from the Comair pilots group could have helped them now, when Delta is poised to hire 200 this year and 400+ next year.

Didnt you take a job at world?

No, I did not. I had to bypass due to a family issue. I am in the pool there. BTW they just posted a opening for Pilot positions if anyone is intersted.

The notion that you as a junior pilot having no say if false. Every pilot in good standing has one vote and only one.
Look in to the ALPA bylaws on how the unions leadership is elected. You elect status reps who in turn elect the leadership.
This is something that is governed by the ALPA national by laws. If you do not like what is going on speak up. If you are not willing to get involved you do not have a right to complain when something is going on that you do not like.
The argument that paying your dues should be enough if false as well. Those dues are there to help pilot groups out that need more money that that group can bring in. It is like an insurance policy. Plus, they pay for really cool ads in the USA today.
That said, what Lawson did to the DAL pilots was wrong. I know many people that went to World and had to resign their seniority at their major. Fact is that many majors did not recognize these letters. Those guys and gals got to go back. I am not sure if DAL was that way. I think the idea of hiring furloughed pilots was a great idea. It is like planned obsolesce for the regionals.
my .02

DL is interviewing plenty of CMR guys and gals. I am not sure if they are getting jobs, but I do know that many have interviewed.

Where did you get this information? As of a couple days before the interviews started the list for interviewee's had 0 comair pilots and the only one's with a possibility were legacies. Additionally the board stated that less than 20% of the applicants were former military so that would lead you to believe that a lot of regional pilots will get a call. I do believe that a good many ASA pilots have gotten interviews though.

The makeup on my interview day was 1 Pinnacle (me- duh), 1 Shuttle America, 1 Eagle, 2 AirTran that were both former ASA, and the other 4 were ASA.

All except the trannies were current captains- the trannies had been captains at ASA before they left. All except for 1 AirTran were hired- everyone was extremely professional and obviously well qualified for the job.

The info on the CMR guys comes from someone that works over there. That is all I know. From what I recall they were legacies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back