• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL DC9's?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There aren't that many Asian cities that B767-300ERs can cover from SEA. Maybe NRT and ICN, and I know about the winglets. The secondary Japanese cities (namely KIX and NGO) have been nothing but a complete failure for all North American carriers that started there since the opening of their new airports. There just isn't any premium business traffic there and very expensive, so good luck.

General's wet dream (very naive) kinda reminds me of Delta's old PDX pacific gateway. Stuff like PDX-Fukuoka on a MD-11, had a zero chance of survival, and that was during a good olde days. It was nice to go through the customs in 5 mins tho and I loved the MD-11s. Delta had stuff like NRT-PDX-DFW or ICN-PDX-LAX, NRT-PDX-DFW where they could fly non-stop on other airlines, these one stop iteneraries you wouldn't book unless they are dirt cheap. The fact is that United's hub in SFO still remain strong on the US side and a glut of Asian carriers with reputable service do connect their own hubs in Asia and beyond on their side. If you live in Helena, Montana, SEA might be a good option, as for other parts, they are covered.

Another thing that Delta should consider is that everybody is striking out in PEK market, SEA-PEK on NW is going to take a lot of luck. B767s is a wrong airplane for the pacific period. Now on a B787, it may be a difference story, but that airplane is yet to be seen.

Last edited:
There aren't that many Asian cities that B767-300ERs can cover from SEA. Maybe NRT and ICN, and I know about the winglets. The secondary Japanese cities (namely KIX and NGO) have been nothing but a complete failure for all North American carriers that started there since the opening of their new airports. There just isn't any premium business traffic there and very expensive, so good luck.

General's wet dream (very naive) kinda reminds me of Delta's old PDX pacific gateway. Stuff like PDX-Fukuoka on a MD-11, had a zero chance of survival, and that was during a good olde days. It was nice to go through the customs in 5 mins tho and I loved the MD-11s. Delta had stuff like NRT-PDX-DFW or ICN-PDX-LAX, NRT-PDX-DFW where they could fly non-stop on other airlines, these one stop iteneraries you wouldn't book unless they are dirt cheap. The fact is that United's hub in SFO still remain strong on the US side and a glut of Asian carriers with reputable service do connect their own hubs in Asia and beyond on their side. If you live in Helena, Montana, SEA might be a good option, as for other parts, they are covered.

Another thing that Delta should consider is that everybody is striking out in PEK market, SEA-PEK on NW is going to take a lot of luck. B767s is a wrong airplane for the pacific period. Now on a B787, it may be a difference story, but that airplane is yet to be seen.

Are you the same guy who stated NCA and JAL Cargo don't go to ANC anymore? I think you are. That blew your credibility right there. Check Flightaware.com---you will see MANY. Really, you need to check your facts before you state such inaccuracies.

Anyway, you like to think that DL won't be using 767ERs, even though Air Canada does right up the street in YVR, to places as far away as Shanghai and Beijing. Then, add some winglets which we are getting, and the added distance from SEA to YVR is covered. Asiana used to fly SEA to ICN (Seoul) when it started service at SEA a few years ago.

You are right about UAL's SFO hub, it is a great hub to Asia, and we will all see whether or not United keeps it in the long run. As far as DL and NWA in SEA, well, NWA already has a small base there, Alaska is a code-share partner with both of us, and there is probably plenty of O&D traffic there. That is good, and since Alaska is the top dog there and they don't fly transoceanic except Hawaii, then having a big code share partner that can do it is a good thing for everyone. And guess what? If the 767Ers with winglets are always full, we can always UPGRADE it to something bigger. We are getting 8 777LRs next year, plus maybe some 787s eventually. If we are starting new flights out of SEA, maybe the 767ER is the plane to start the route. Makes sense, right?

Next time read up on what is really going on out there and quit making things up that are EASILY disputable. Really, the NCA/JAL Cargo statement was plain stupid. And while you are at it, quit thinking about wet dreams. Someday you may meet a girl and things will happen for you.(just don't start off the conversation with her about cargo airlines in Anchorage)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Spare me the innacurate statements. You are the one that said your B757 could make JFK-ACC when the 757s are starting out of JFK. Some 5000 miles, and you fly them (supposely). I liked the one about the Cuzco too. You sounded liked a high school kid.

As far as JAL and NCA, they do stop in ANC, but the main thing is and the latest trend is that their equipment (B744Fs) do make Japan-west coast non-stop, and ORD too, which NW could not offer with their B742s, I see that as a disadvantage. Many JAL and NCA flights that stops in ANC actually go to Europe, where NW does not compete. That is not topic at hand though, neither this fantasy SEA stuff. Don't get all upset and offend me with cheap shots just because I won't agree with your fantansy and said it was naive.

United will never leave SFO, although if United ever comes to an end, someone else will re-establish SFO and acquire their assets, that is guaranteed to happen, it's currently a true pacific gateway.

B767s are much slower airplanes too, compared to B744/B777. Joy.

Back to the DC9 topic. Ciao.

Last edited:
The secondary Japanese cities (namely KIX and NGO) have been nothing but a complete failure for all North American carriers that started there since the opening of their new airports.

G.

What? Is that why NWA flies non-stop from both KIX and NGO to DTW using the B747-400? I was just in NGO last week. Flight 72, NGO to DTW, was oversold and passengers were placed on our flight to connect to DTW out of NRT.

Doesn't really sound much like a complete failure to me.

Look for more expansion out of the west coast(esp. SEA) to Asia. One limitation to Asia expansion is aircraft. With the Delta merger and the B787, that limitation will be removed.

MKE is a city of 1.6 million people. It is a lot bigger than people realize.
Putting out code on a MEH flight does the same thing that putting our code on an ASA, Air France, KLM, or NWA flight does. It allows people to book Delta tickets on it. (Look out below)

...and a 90 minute drive from most of the north side of Chicago. For that matter, traffic depending, ORD can be a 90 minute drive from the north suburbs.

stlflyguy

Exactly. MKE is a very big market. AAI knows this and is why they tried so hard to get in to it.
MEH also has a very loyal customer base there.

Spare me the innacurate statements. You are the one that said your B757 could make JFK-ACC when the 757s are starting out of JFK. Some 5000 miles, and you fly them (supposely). I liked the one about the Cuzco too. You sounded liked a high school kid.

As far as JAL and NCA, they do stop in ANC, but the main thing is and the latest trend is that their equipment (B744Fs) do make Japan-west coast non-stop, and ORD too, which NW could not offer with their B742s, I see that as a disadvantage. Many JAL and NCA flights that stops in ANC actually go to Europe, where NW does not compete. That is not topic at hand though, neither this fantasy SEA stuff. Don't get all upset and offend me with cheap shots just because I won't agree with your fantansy and said it was naive.

United will never leave SFO, although if United ever comes to an end, someone else will re-establish SFO and acquire their assets, that is guaranteed to happen, it's currently a true pacific gateway.

B767s are much slower airplanes too, compared to B744/B777. Joy.

Back to the DC9 topic. Ciao.

Good try there buddy. You are right, NCA and JAL Cargo have added a couple flights nonstop from the West Coast, but there are plenty of NCA and JAL Cargo 744s that go into ANC and onto ORD, JFK, and others. I think NWA competes on those, right? You bet. That's not what you said though, and you were caught. I said DL would fly a 757 to ACC? Really? I doubt that. Show me. And Cuzco, Peru? Just watch. When it comes out, I will have scored again. Fantasy SEA stuff? Just wait.

And yes, the 767 is slower than the 744 and 777. See, you actually said something factual. Amazing. I bet you had to look that up though. Thanks for taking my advice.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
What? Is that why NWA flies non-stop from both KIX and NGO to DTW using the B747-400? I was just in NGO last week. Flight 72, NGO to DTW, was oversold and passengers were placed on our flight to connect to DTW out of NRT.

Look for more expansion out of the west coast(esp. SEA) to Asia. One limitation to Asia expansion is aircraft. With the Delta merger and the B787, that limitation will be removed.

I wouldn't call that a success just basing off of a load factor on certain route that you flew one day during the Japanese bone season in August, which is usually a madness, although I hear that DTW-NGO is somewhat better off with a few Toyota motor corporate contracts. With the current fuel prices I would say it's barely scraping by, or on a bit on a loss side. AA, UA, and JAL have tried to make NGO/KIX work from west coast U.S and/or from their hubs failed miserably, there is no success story there. And the list goes on.

Last edited:

Looks like the 767ER could kick off that expansion, and 787s could build on it. A lot of your A332s are needed elsewhere it seems. It's good to have choices.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back