• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL Commuters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The DFW commute is awful. If you are lucky enough to get the jumpseat, that is one thing. If you can't, there is NO way you will get the flight attendant jump, or a regular seat in the back. There are hundreds of stews with 40 years at the company trying to get those seldom open seats in the back of the multitude of MD88s between DFW and ATL.

Bye Bye--General Lee

No doubt. Here's hoping the ATL-DTW commute won't turn into a similar nightmare.

Of course, what I've never figured out about the DFW-ATL commute is why the heck anyone would want to live in Texas if they didn't have to in the first place. :)

(ducking now.....)

Pretty sure this is not right. They will always give you the Y1 to get you there, but if for some reason (mechanical on the backup or whatever) you won't get there in time to work the trip Bid Schedule Trip Guarantee does not apply. They will, however, make every attempt to return you to the trip ASAP. If they can't get you back you can sit time available in base for open flying.

Two more questions about DALs policy. Do both the flights have to be Delta flights, or could one be offline? If you can't make it for the start of the trip (couldn't get on both), will they return you to the trip as soon as they can or do they just take you off the whole thing?

I think ACL is right about one thing. There's going to be a lot more commuters. The only reason Call in Honest exists at NWA is because of the high number of sick calls due to missed commutes. At some point the company decided the revenue lost by potentially bumping one passenger was insignificant compared to the revenue lost by having to cancel a flight because someone who was trying his best to get to work just couldn't get there. I think (or hope) that Delta will come around to this way of thinking as well.

Any two flights. Neither need to be Delta. Just two flights two hours apart that get you in before show. With a seat available 24 hours prior to flight. The jump counts.

Unfortunately Compass management doesn't let anyone ride the FA jumpseat other that Compass employees. I don't' know why and I don't agree with it.

Yeah I put an SWA guy on an FA jumpseat once outta MDW and got my peepee slapped. Sorry guys, we don't make the rules.

Call NWA ALPA jumpseat coordinator. They are working on it but the more calls the better. Thanks

Likewise, it would be nice if compass could ride FA jumpseats at NWA as well. I've been left behind many times in similar circumstances.

As a career commuter not by choice, why is it that our company(s), visa our unions, can't accept that we can't get to work when we want to. I could be stuck in traffic on rte 74 or in MIA during a blizzard. What difference does it make? As far as the company's concerned, staffing (Fat or short) will drive policy. I've seen this everywhere, if your stuck, fake that your sick. We need relief! I'm done ranting, frickin hate commuting ahhhhhhh!

Last edited:
The DFW commute is awful. If you are lucky enough to get the jumpseat, that is one thing. If you can't, there is NO way you will get the flight attendant jump, or a regular seat in the back. There are hundreds of stews with 40 years at the company trying to get those seldom open seats in the back of the multitude of MD88s between DFW and ATL.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I had a Captain complaining about the DFW to ATL commute and how our FA's, Delta, have the jumpseat booked and run over to American and list on their flight. I told him that we, meaning pilots, have a higher priority at American so a Delta FA can't bump you from a flight. He said the American gate agents have been convinced by our FA's that it is first come first served. I told him to talk to our jumpseat coordinator and have him call our counterpart at American. The Captain said he didn't want to rock the boat. Just something to put in your pocket if you're a DFW commuter.

Speaking of which, I tried to ride a Compass FA jumpseat last week. The keyword is "tried." I was commuting home, the flight was full, and another NWA guy already has the cockpit jumpseat. So in my attempt to ride the Compass cabin jumpseat, I was informed by the Captain that FA jumpseats are not an option for NWA pilots. Alright, another night in MSP as the EMB175 taxis out with two open cabin jumpseats!!!. We gave them our flying and we can't even ride in an open cabin jumpseat. WTF!!!!

Is a Compass Pilot allowed in the FA Jumpseats on a Delta Flight?

I always thought it alternated between a pilot and FA after the cockpit j/s.

Last edited:
No doubt. Here's hoping the ATL-DTW commute won't turn into a similar nightmare.

But with ATLDTW, you have a lot of cities in between that you could connect thru, such as SBN, FWA, CLE, GRR, LEX (probably), IND, ORD, MDW, PIT, CMH, CVG, SDF, STL, MKE etc.

But two leg commutes suck, but its better than the alternative, living in DTW....

Latest resources

Back