• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL & CAL... In a perfect World

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was hired by both (CAL in late 2000, Delta in early 2000) though I was thrown in CAL's pool before I even interviewed at Delta, but DAL gave me a class date a year sooner so I took it.

I would be a 737 CA at CAL, where right now I am a senior MD-88 FO at Delta. My QOL is probably much better at Delta. I a bud who was turned down at DAL and sebsequently hired at CAL but wishes DAL hired him.

Did I make the right choice? Ask in 18 years....

Could CAL have the furloughs back by summer if they called them back in April?

I'd love to see either of these carriers hire.... who knows.

Maybe maybe not.

The 50 series 9's will get parked when oil goes up. CHQ pilots will fly more 70+ seat RJ's when they hit the high water mark on the mainline fleet. I do not see this group of LEC Reps giving in on scope. If they think about it they will get recalled. Yes, that is the general consensus around here.

Given the statement above, and remember... "in a perfect world" - what is the forecast for the aircraft retirements to aircraft order and pilot movement (retirements and growth for new AC) look in the next 5-10 years for both companies?

Thanks again guys...

I would say either...I am an bad commuter though so it comes down to where can I stand to live before they close the base etc...I also have friends that could have gone
to either and all 3 chose DAL. I do think DAL will hire first, possibly this fall or next spring depending on the Network and if bus. travel continues its swing? Good Luck, JP

I was hired by both (CAL in late 2000, Delta in early 2000) though I was thrown in CAL's pool before I even interviewed at Delta, but DAL gave me a class date a year sooner so I took it.

I would be a 737 CA at CAL....
Not anymore, by about two years.

Heyas,

Yup. Might as well flip a coin, because chances are that a few years down the road, things will be completely different. And the chances are the airline you work for won't be the same one that hired you.

When I was at PDT, USAir was no place great, and they had guys out on furlough for almost 7 years. BUT, they had been the 800 lb gorilla in the late 80's, with one of the best contracts around.

In 99, guys STILL went there when they started hiring.

Braniff in the late 70's was the place to be. I understand they even had a "sort of" PFT deal to get your FE certificate, the same way SWA is now.

At some point, every airline is the "flavor of the month". At some point, every one also has their turn in the barrel.

I got a bud of mine who has 10 uniforms in his closet, including Braniff and Eastern. The DAL uniform is the 11th. Fortunately, he was one of the few winners in the SLI lottery, and wound up with better than DOH, and can now drive to work.

Karma has a way of balancing.

Nu

In a perfect world this wouldn't be a question. Both jobs would be perfect in every way and thus totally equal so no comparison could be made.

Latest resources

Back