• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL & CAL... In a perfect World

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You will probably be on reserve for awhile at both. Both 757 FOs at CAL in my crashpad can't wait to get out once DAL/SWA/UPS/FDX start hiring. CAL reserve rules are worse than ours at Express. If you don't live in a CAL base (IAH, EWR, CLE, GUM) do not go to CAL, you will be misserable commuting to reserve at CAL vs at DAL where you will be on 12 hr call out and working under better work rules. Delta has always had a better contract than CAL, why would this change now?

Because we are in the process of negotiating a new contract.

We are all very aware of it. You are so far behind DAL that it will take 2 or 3 contract cycles (minimum) and BLLIONS in profit during that time for you to catch up. I know you finally have the right people in the union this time (I'm a big fan of JP) but you are so far behind you will not catch up anytime soon. I saw your union's "what we want" pdf presentation and it isn't even as good as Delta and that is your opening shot. You think you will negotiate DAL plus X% this time around? Wow. How about negotiating a reserve system like DALPA so pilots don't have to sit in a crashpad 19 days a month?

We are all very aware of it. You are so far behind DAL that it will take 2 or 3 contract cycles (minimum) and BLLIONS in profit during that time for you to catch up. I know you finally have the right people in the union this time (I'm a big fan of JP) but you are so far behind you will not catch up anytime soon. I saw your union's "what we want" pdf presentation and it isn't even as good as Delta and that is your opening shot. You think you will negotiate DAL plus X% this time around? Wow. How about negotiating a reserve system like DALPA so pilots don't have to sit in a crashpad 19 days a month?
Pitch perfect.

According to the CEO's latest interview, the new set point is $500M profit per year. Anything less than that means concessions will be required (and given, based on history). The only way CAL will see a contract like DAL is if DAL declares bankruptcy two or three times to bring them down to CAL's level.

CAL is a different airline. Execs get major airline pay, pilots get regional work rules, and pilot pay is somewhere between regional and major. But the overall compensation could by no stretch be compared to a major.

CEO's latest statement: "there is no money to pay you."

Read it, let it sink in, and prepare for "concessions or bankruptcy" speech around about 12 December.

Last edited:
Pitch perfect.

According to the CEO's latest interview, the new set point is $500M profit per year. Anything less than that means concessions will be required (and given, based on history). The only way CAL will see a contract like DAL is if DAL declares bankruptcy two or three times to bring them down to CAL's level.

CAL is a different airline. Execs get major airline pay, pilots get regional work rules, and pilot pay is somewhere between regional and major. But the overall compensation could by no stretch be compared to a major.

Read it, let it sink in, and prepare for "concessions or bankruptcy" speech around about 12 December.

Any coincidence that the new set point is now $500 million a year in profit after the CALPA's opening proposal was estimated at an added $500 million a year in pilot costs?

Haha so now the company says they need to make $1 billion a year in profit to still pay CAL pilots less than Delta, SWA, FDX, UPS, AA, and I believe UAL as well............wow. I hope you guys are doing everything you can to buy off the NMB right now because they are your only shot.

Last edited:
Pitch perfect.

That is what RA supposedly told a group of checkairmen too. He supposedly said "We will be paying down a lot of debt in the next few years, and that means no extra money for the pilots."

Well RA, DL pilots are debtors too. The pension was given up, along with a lot of pay. I would say "time to charge more for tickets."

Bye Bye----General Lee

Boy, you people really have no clue how negotiations work. This happens everywhere every contract. CEOs always say the same things.

DAL is a good place to be, nothing compared to what it was in terms of pay and QOL. How many forget that Delta was DAYS away from liquidation not very long ago. It can happen to anybody. Just flip the coin.

That is what RA supposedly told a group of checkairmen too. He supposedly said "We will be paying down a lot of debt in the next few years, and that means no extra money for the pilots."

Well RA, DL pilots are debtors too. The pension was given up, along with a lot of pay. I would say "time to charge more for tickets."

Bye Bye----General Lee
When you're watching the ballgame in the owner's suite, a step down to a corporate suite is acceptable. DAL.

When in you're watching the game from the far upper baseline deck, the next place is in the parking lot. CAL.

There isn't much lower they can go. FAR work rules, lowest compensation, no profit share; and yet, open time pickup, vacation waive, contractual duty day waive, continues unabated giddyup giddyup.

It all shows the pilots feel there is indeed more to give because they're giving it now and the company sees it every day when they look at the metrics.

All the company has to do now is simply formalize this giving in a new contract.

Last edited:
When you're watching the ballgame in the owner's suite, a step down to a corporate suite is acceptable. DAL.

When in you're watching the game from the far upper baseline deck, the next place is in the parking lot. CAL.

There isn't much lower they can go. FAR work rules, lowest compensation, no profit share; and yet, open time pickup, vacation waive, contractual duty day waive, continues unabated giddyup giddyup.

It all shows the pilots feel there is indeed more to give because they're giving it now and the company sees it every day when they look at the metrics.

All the company has to do now is simply formalize this giving in a new contract.

Another whiner who does nothing about it. Please quit!!!!!

Latest resources

Back