• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dal ae

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Alaska announcment" meaning?........merger?

Last edited:
Alaska ( /əˈlæskə/ (help·info)) is the largest state of the United States of America by area; it is situated in the northwest extremity of the North American continent, with Canada to the east, the Arctic Ocean to the north, and the Pacific Ocean to the west and south, with Russia further west across the Bering Strait. Approximately half of Alaska's 698,473 residents reside within the Anchorage metropolitan area. As of 2009, Alaska remains the least densely populated state of the U.S.[5]
The U.S. Senate approved the purchase of Alaska from the Russian Empire on March 30, 1867, for $7.2 million at about two cents per acre ($4.74/km2). The land went through several administrative changes before becoming an organized territory on May 11, 1912, and the 49th state of the U.S. on January 3, 1959. The name "Alaska" (Аляска) was already introduced in the Russian colonial time, when it was used only for the peninsula and is derived from the Aleut alaxsxaq, meaning "the mainland" or more literally, "the object towards which the action of the sea is directed".[6] It is also known as Alyeska, the "great land", an Aleut word derived from the same root.:):):)

Great. Another ********************ing merger.

It makes sense actually. Interesting 2010 ahead.... Other airlines will jump into bed for sure if that happens.

Looks like the C-Series(CS) is not going to roll off the assembly line anytime soon..... do they really want to wait until 2013 or longer for the CS to show up to take fill the 100 seat gap?

I have a horrible sinking feeling in my stomach they will try to get more 175/190's flown by contract carriers to fill the gap until the CS arrives..... but then when it comes time for mainline to fly the CS, back out claiming "we cant afford it"......thus ending up with no C-Series, and more mainline flying gone.... only a fear ... I hope it doesnt happen.

I say just order 190/195s now and have them at mainline (period!)... I am sure EMB is giving those things away right now. Better mainline pilots flying them then some contract carrier.

Last edited:
Might be the 195 too for a few years. Just make sure you will not be surprised about the changes coming now that we are in a post SOC world. They have been waiting two years for this!

Looks like the C-Series(CS) is not going to roll off the assembly line anytime soon..... do they really want to wait until 2013 or longer for the CS to show up to take fill the 100 seat gap?

They just might. How long has there been a "100 seat gap" at Pre-merger DAL?

I don't believe AA has had a 100 seater since the F-100s went to the desert, CAL and UAL are retiring their short body 737s... it maybe a gap they can afford to have until the "real" replacement arrives instead of an outlay of capital, effort, and a series of training cascades for a stop gap aircraft solution.

Latest resources

Back