• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.
  • Logbook Pro for Apple iOS version 8.1 is now available on the App Store. Major update including signature endorsements and dark/light theme support. Click here to install now.

CVRs of both the Legacy, and GOL 737 over Brazil

siucavflight

Back from the forsaken
Total Time
Last edited:

SansPlane

Total Time
Interesting comment from page 8 of the VF article: “You can include the corrupted tax structures that allow airplanes as questionable as the Legacy to be built, sold, and flown.”

mzaharis

Total Time
Interestingly, the author, William Langewiesche, holds an ATP, although he has a second-class physical. Didn't see a type rating.

LJ45

Total Time
WOW, that is really quick from 37,000 feet.

RIP

siucavflight

Back from the forsaken
Total Time
WOW, that is really quick from 37,000 feet.

RIP
I was thinking the same thing, most likely yhe aircraft broke up prior to impact.

Ypres

Total Time
Mucho
Is it just my computer or has anyone else not been able to download the Legacy tape? I can get the 737 tape just fine.

LJ45

Total Time
Is it just my computer or has anyone else not been able to download the Legacy tape? I can get the 737 tape just fine.

I had to right click and copy link, paste link in internet explorer and it played no problem. you can also go to Vanity Fare online and get the orginal story and link there.

wrxpilot

The proud, the few
Total Time
-
The 737 CVR is definitely a scary listen. I have no problem reading CVRs, but hearing them adds a really disturbing dimension.

The Legacy CVR is also interesting. I'm amazed at how long it is (2 hrs!), and honestly I feel like I'm eavesdropping on a private conversation - to the pont of being somewhat uncomfortable even listening to it. Anyway, it was very interesting to hear how they responded after the collision (starting around 80 mins is a good lead up). Seems like they did a great job, and I can only imagine how lonely and concerning that felt to declare an emergency while trying desperately to get somebody on the radio (took forever!).

I find it incomprehensible that these guys were expected to be scanning intently for traffic at cruise during a long flight in the flight levels. You'd be completely worn out after 45 mins! That being said, they sure didn't sound like they were screwing around. In fact, it was amazingly quiet in the cockpit prior to the collision.

landlover

Total Time
5000+
The 737 CVR is definitely a scary listen. I have no problem reading CVRs, but hearing them adds a really disturbing dimension.

The Legacy CVR is also interesting. I'm amazed at how long it is (2 hrs!), and honestly I feel like I'm eavesdropping on a private conversation - to the pont of being somewhat uncomfortable even listening to it. Anyway, it was very interesting to hear how they responded after the collision (starting around 80 mins is a good lead up). Seems like they did a great job, and I can only imagine how lonely and concerning that felt to declare an emergency while trying desperately to get somebody on the radio (took forever!).

I find it incomprehensible that these guys were expected to be scanning intently for traffic at cruise during a long flight in the flight levels. You'd be completely worn out after 45 mins! That being said, they sure didn't sound like they were screwing around. In fact, it was amazingly quiet in the cockpit prior to the collision.

it was really quiet prior to the accident because the captain was in the lav for about 15 mins and the co pilot had no one to talk to.

:-)

Hail Calvin
Total Time
:-0
I had to stop listening to the 737.

I don't have time to listen to all of the Legacy tape. I did hear their first attempts to declare an emergency.

People, if you want to get an emergency declared in international ops. Mayday, Mayday, Mayday seems to work quite well.

Other than that, Kudos to the survivors. RIP to the rest.

Amish RakeFight

Registered Loser
Total Time
The only thing dismissed were their negligence in communications.

The transponder and TCAS issues seem more ominous for them.

But Joseph Lepore and Jan Paul Paladino still face charges for allegedly putting aviation safety at risk by presenting a faulty flight plan and deactivating a security mechanism that could have avoided the collision, the court and the defense attorney said.

COpilot

Total Time
I had to stop listening to the 737.

People, if you want to get an emergency declared in international ops. Mayday, Mayday, Mayday seems to work quite well.

Have you flown in Brazil? For hours and hours over the jungle you still only get half a$$ clear communication with someone. It's a joke down there, they still live in the stone age with radio comm. I'd rather they put NY Oceanic in control of it and use NY Radio HF for relay than what they have now.

AviateYou

What's the problem?
Total Time
7300+
Have you flown in Brazil? For hours and hours over the jungle you still only get half a$$ clear communication with someone. It's a joke down there, they still live in the stone age with radio comm. I'd rather they put NY Oceanic in control of it and use NY Radio HF for relay than what they have now.

If accidents are a culmination of small events this will certainly support that statement. Very indepth (long read) some biases by the Brazillian Report while trying to remain objective but very informative click on this link and read the Brazilian CENIPA report:

http://www.ntsb.gov/Aviation/Brazil-CENIPA.htm

Last edited:

ruhroa

Total Time
8300++
rumor control......could someone confirm or dispell a rumor i heard the other day.........

i heard the legacy crew were found quilty of some sort of neglagence and that if they leave the us can be deported to brasil for prosecution (jail time) is this true??????