• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Current and past Lear 35 drivers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tucson's a great place to go to school, beats the hell out of Wichita. Nice relaxed atmosphere.

As far as good eats in Tucson, I really like Chuy's Mesquite Broiler, and if you like a Tappan Yaki table there’s a really good one on the East side of town called Sakura, lots of memorabilia on the wall. There's a bunch of restaurants on the East side of town, if you can find you're way to Hooter's you'll probably drive by most of them.

You'll probably be staying at one of the airport hotels. They're OK, but they're not really that close to FS (you have to drive all the way around the airport). I'd recommend staying at the Marriott University- much better "scenery (UA coeds)" to look at and not that much further to drive.

You'll really enjoy flying the Lear, especially with a nice job to eventually go back to. Don't worry too much about the small cockpit, I'm 6'3" and I once had a 6'5" copilot. We'd just take the Jepps and seat cushions out and be fine. That's the big hint for big guys, the seat cushions are Velcro’d in, making them easy to take out, and taking the Jepps out from behind the seat gives you about 3 more inches of leg room!

Dear TURBojet,

With many years of flying Lears, I can recommend bringing 1 essential item-a small towell. You will use it for 2 things:

1) Wiping the sweat off from throwing bags over the seats and sitting in the cockpit doing flows and the like.

2) Wiping off the windscreen when you descend into a humid environment after 2.5 hours of being cold soaked.

It's a fun plane. I had my last flight in one in July. Glad to see it go, but I will always remember it fondly.

Don't forget your towel!

BA

I'm 6'3" 235 lbs and it was a pretty tight fit. But its throwing the bags thats really a pain. Good Luck!! It's a fun ride.

Rice :cool:

the towel is a great idea, if your going to the southeast(florida) its a good idea to turn the windshield heat on right after takeoff!! but, you will still need the towel, ATC seems to think that all learjets can make it from FL350 to 10,000 ft in about 50 miles!!
I am 6'3 and can handle most flights up to 2.5 hours.

Have fun. For me, flying the Lear is, at times, one of those "wow-they actually pay me to do this" deals.
Two things:
1.Don't get slow.
2.The fuel system WILL bite you if you let yourself get distracted while moving fuel around. Also, make sure the fuel panel is secure on shut down. Embarassing to get a call at the hotel from the FBO telling you that your plane is sitting on one of its tip tanks.
Best regards,
sm

Tom

I don't have that much time in the plane, but I know you are coming from the -300 so here are a couple of things you will notice.

First, you will realize how spoiled you were by the room in the Fokker and the Boeing. As others have mentioned, the Lear has an extremely small and I think downright uncomfortable cockpit. My seat sits all the way against the bulkhead and there's still nowhere near the legroom you have in a Boeing. Rudder pedals don't adjust, either.

Second, if it's hot and/or humid outside, the cockpit is a fiery furnace until about an hour after departure, and is especially bad on the ground. I don't think I've ever sweated as much as I did in the Lear on a recent trip back east. Literally soaked in sweat. The A/C works great in the back, though, so as long as you have a GPU the folks will be comfortable on the ground.

A few random observations follow. As you might expect, the Lear is quite a bit more responsive than the Boeing. It's a bit more difficult to fly SMOOTHLY. You will get used to this. You can't deploy the reversers with the nosewheel still off the ground like you can in the 737. Unless you are intentionally using aerodynamic braking to slow, you will lower the nosewheel onto the runway more positively than you do in the 737. Finally, the spoilers are controlled by a switch near the throttle quadrant. This is an "on/off" switch. You get all or nuthin'. Unlike the Boeing, it is impossible to deploy them smoothly. A pitch change and a terrific rumble will follow. You will be manually deploying them on landing. Gear and initial flap extension speeds are the same as the Fokker.

Performance is easy, and no getting spoiled by ACARS and authothrottles!! :)

Enjoy!!

Thanks all! I've enjoyed reading your observations on the airplane and your ideas for eats.

Tom

electric socks

Your feet will freeze in the winter. I used electric socks, no joke. Much better than numb toes!!

Great little plane, you will enjoy flying it, like everyone else - Vref +5-10kts will keep you out of trouble.

Golf in TUS is great, you may not have time to play - FSI will keep you very busy preping for your type ride! Good Luck!

Cruise?

What is the typical or maybe I should say, what is the range of the Lear 35?

4 hours you would typically land with 1500 lbs of fuel...

last hour burn is about 1000-1100 lbs. so TECHNICALLY as far as the FAA is concerned you will have about 1:20 of fuel left.

Latest resources

Back