Current and past Lear 35 drivers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lear 35

A few points. I normally use 1600 lbs the first hour, 1500 the second and 1300 ever hour there after. But then most of my time is in 20's so I tend to be overly conservative on fuel. I would rather arrive with more than planned than less. As for altitudes, unless it is below ISA, I flight plan the 35 for 370 or 390 initially. And if above ISA +20 I back it down a step, 350 or 370. The fans really don't like thin air. These are initial altitudes. As I get lighter, I'll climb. But if the winds are exceptionally strong, I'll take the hit on airspeed and climb higher and let my groundspeed make up the difference. But the winds really have to be strong for that to pay off.

I have gotten 5.5 hours out of a 35 and landed with 1400 pounds. So it has good range.

As for ref speed, it depends on the wing. An origianl thin wing, you did not gt slow EVER!!!. There are three different wings. On the 35 the rarest is the Mark 4, there are only a few early models that have that wing mod. I have never flown a Mark 4, so I will not comment on it. If you have a century 3 wing I would fly the approach no slower than ref + 5, inside the fence at ref. The Softflight wing, the approach no slower than ref and inside the fence at ref -5. I do tend to keep my speed about 5 knots above that except for very short fields. I have taken 25's and 35's in 3000 foot runways. And turned off at the mid point. They will do it. One thing about a Lear that is different than most bizjets is that if you can get it in, you can get it out.

The windshield, you need to keep warm. Down here in Houston, I use windshield heat from gear up until I am back on the ramp.

The 'Dutch Roll' on landing is mostly casued by the pilot. The wings do rock, but they start back so fast that when you recognize it and put in a corection, you are actually making the problem worse.

A trick on the spoilers, I crank in about 15 sec's of nose up trim before I extend them and then keep adding nose up trim until I am comfortable. And I do the reverse when I stow them.

As for FSI, I have been to Simuflie and FSI on the Lear and ICT and TUS. I much prefer Wichita. Mostly because it is a smaller facility, much friendlier and most of the instructors there have been there for years if not decades. And they really know the aircraft.

Good luck

Spoilers in the 35: (check to be sure the flaps are UP)

1) power back

2) flip the switch, and pull back on the yoke to counter the nose-down moment

3) about four seconds of nose up trim to relieve the back pressure

The softflight wing is pretty common from what I have seen. Our last plane was just converted to this during its RVSM work. We are getting it back this week.

How are you doing so far?

Re: Lear 35

Rick1128 said:
I have gotten 5.5 hours out of a 35 and landed with 1400 pounds. So it has good range.

How on earth did you do this? What were you doing M0.68 or something? Are you sure you weren't in a Lear 36?

I used to land after 4 hours and have around 1600-1800 lbs. that was doing M0.78 at FL390 & FL430

I agree with Falcon Capt

We flew a 5 hr leg recently (exactly) and landed with 1000 lb, what I would consider minimum VFR conditions rsv. Winds aloft were very light, nice aft CG, our final cruise level was 430, and ATC gave us a PD descent, allowing us to stay high. 5.5 hrs would have had us landing with 600 lbs, so I'm not sure how you get 1400.

First of all I had three things going for me. A good light a/c. No TR's and ISA plus 30 at altitude. Used long range cruise from the start. Forced it to 430 as soon as I was light enough to get there. Used a minimum fuel descent. It helped that I was someplace that didn't have a lot of traffic or an US style ATC. NO radar. A couple of notes: First there were several airports in the area of the destination, I could use as bail out spots. Second, I was planning on between 1000 and 1100 pounds. And three, considering that area of the world, I didn't have a lot of choices available. It a lot like over water flying, you hit the equal time point, if you have enough fuel, you keep going. If not, you turn around.

Timebuilder, I used to use that method. Was shown mine by a couple of very high time Lear drivers. It is a lot smoother. Spoiler extention is more noticable in the back than the front. Remember, directly or indirectly, the people in back are the ones that pay you.

I guess that there is always another way.

If I were to add up the total time of the guys that taught me my method, I'd be looking at close to 40,000 hours of passenger ops in total.

Are you holding forward pressure as you crank in the fifteen seconds of trim? Releasing forward pressure as the spoilers pop up? I'm always willing to try a new way, if it works.

Concerning the 5.5 hour flight with 1400 remaining. Rick's correct. I've flown a couple of the no T/R 35's, they are completely different AC in many respects. The best low-fuel descent profile I've used is a 2:1 with the power up to keep the AC at redline the whole way down. Think ahead so that once you do pull it to idle, you don't touch em' again until about 1000' AAE.

On the 5.5 hours theory:

I've gotten 1350# the first hour, step climbed up to 410 then 430 then 450. Second hour 1100#, third hour 950#, fourth hour 900#, the next half hour 450# and then 200# for descent. With starting fuel of 6238, you can land at 1275#. That was on a flight from Oakland to Orlando. ISA-10 and avg of 70 knot tailwind. 4:45 minutes with flying at .70-.75M

I guess I could have strethed it down to 1000# and gotten another 15 minutes. That's still only 5.0 hours. The previous guy mentioned ISA+30, I think he is very confused.

to temcgrew:
I've flown with guys who consistently land below Vref. To each his own - but I think its a bad habit. I never land below Vref. The mains touch exactly at Vref. I cross the fence at Vref+7. You're just asking for trouble in the case of windshear, wind gusts, and controllability issues. In addition, in a high x-wind, tip tank strikes are more probable. How? a below Vref touchdown with a constant rate of descent requires a higher angel of attack which raises the aircraft pitch attitude. This cuts the distance of the tip- tank to runway significantly. Add a bank angle and there you have it.

Other Lear tips:
1. Spoilers out, trim up 3 (three) seconds; spoilers in, trim down 3(three) seconds.

2. If you're new to the Lear, practice hand flying up to FL410 and level off for several minutes. On the descent, hand fly it again. The autopilot WILL fail on you, don't let that be the first time you're hand flying up at FL410.

3. Here's a trick of slowing down. If you're high and fast, simply extend the spoilers and gear. Slow the aircraft to 180 knots and then retract the spoilers. At the same time, select flaps 20. No trim change is required.

4. The Garrett engines sometime flame out. If you catch it early enough (N1>20%) , bring the throttle to idle and turn the ignitors on. The engine will probably start right up.

5. If you fly the older lear with the FL450 pressurization, (the one that does NOT have the 9500' automatic emer valves) make sure you memorize the alternate way to allow bleed air into the cockpit. It's a 3 step process!

6. Fueling the Lear is a trick. Don't bother with the books' limitation of 120 gals per side. Your goal is to make sure there are no bubbles! First make sure the Lear is parked on level ground. If not, it may take much more that 120 gals to even the airplane out. If you do get the dreaded bubble, (and you have to fill'er up), simply turn the airplane around 180 degrees. Yes, you can hand push it!

7. Aft CG increases performance. Transfer fuel out of Trunk only when you have to - not when below 760 in the tips!

8. According to the AFM and the Garrett manual: Normal climb is 250/.7M. Also climb power for engine longevity is 800 ITT - tha't per Garrett! Also, per the AFM, proper climb power should be set at 15,000 per the max Cont charts and then use that temp until cruise. 832 is max Cont, not a normal condition. Normal cruise according to the AFM is M.77, period. Long Range cruise changes with weight and alt, but is generally M0.7. Some guys get a kick flying at 359/0.82M. I fly intermediate cruise at 300 knots not to exceed M0.770.

9. Holding power - set 500pph and you can't go wrong.

Somebody mentioned earlier that you can't extend the TR's with the nose off the ground. Of course you can, however, it may not be very smart.

Update

Hey all:

Just an update on training. It's all going very well. FSI instructors are very knowledgeable. I will print out these pages about tips on flying it (spoilers,etc.) So far, the plane seems very similar to the Fokker (with a BIG exception to the performance). I think the type ride should go well.

Thanks again.

Latest resources

Back