• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ vs. ERJ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Before I got into jets, I used to poo poo the ERJ all the time. But now that I've flown the CRJ, I'll never bad mouth the ERJ ever again. What a worthless piece of crap! As for the 700, a new and improved worthless piece of crap.

LegacyIIDriver said:
Name me an airplane that isn't loud at 320 knots!

CRJ is just as loud in the back as the ERJ and not nearly as comfortable.

The ERJ is not built lightly. It is a strong airplane. It has to be for its job and again, it has proven its strength.

ZERO FATALITIES and counting.......

Oh, and I don't have to wear DCs in it, and above 180 we take headsets off, so I am not sure what your point is.

They are both good airplanes, but I think the edge goes to the ERJ.

The 170 blows all regional jets away. But that's another subject.

After flying the E120 I see several similarities just on the outside of a E135/145, it is simply a stretched version of the Brasillia. I'll give you the fact that the cabin does seem a bit more comfortable than the CRJ, not the CRJ-700 though IMHO. I have also spoken to folks here at ASA when we were talking about getting jets back in the day and they went down to Brazil to check out the 135/145 and said it was a hunk of junk. The systems were very similar to the E120 with some modern adjustments.

On the subject of ergonomics I would say CRJ from a cockpit standpoint. Just going up and looking inside the "taco jet" I had that Brasillia feeling all over again which is nice and cramped. The layout of the ERJ cockpit is poor at best. For instance the FMS is not in a very good location. Also the gear "handle" is more like a knob, the spoiler handle is kind of dinky too. Do you still have to push down on the tiller to activate the nose wheel? If so then that is another nuisance.

I'll take the CRJ!

Plug said:
The systems were very similar to the E120 with some modern adjustments.

On the subject of ergonomics I would say CRJ from a cockpit standpoint. Just going up and looking inside the "taco jet" I had that Brasillia feeling all over again which is nice and cramped. The layout of the ERJ cockpit is poor at best. For instance the FMS is not in a very good location. Also the gear "handle" is more like a knob, the spoiler handle is kind of dinky too. Do you still have to push down on the tiller to activate the nose wheel? If so then that is another nuisance.

I'll take the CRJ!

Some corrections:

The Systems in the E145 are completely different from the Brazillia's. Most were actually designed by Boeing engineers. The Hydraulic system is almost identical to the 737's minus the third standby. Almost everything is automatic including the FADECs. I flew the 737-200 and now the E145. As far as systems go, I would take the E145. Much easier airplane to fly.

The gear handle is small because that is all that it needs to be. It is mearly an electrical switch instead of a hydraulic one. It sends a signal to the landing gear computer which then actuates the gear.

The dual FMSs are forward of the throttles. Express has about 75 planes with the rearward single FMS. The next 200 have them up front. Now I am sure someone is going to talk smack about the RMUs being on the front panel. That is because they are mini EFIS backup instruments as well. They display EICAS data as well as their own HSI.

You have to push the tiller down to engage nosewheel steering because the system is "steer-by-wire". Yes, it does get to be a pain in the arse, but otherwise not a big deal. Also, the spoiler handle is also electronic. I really do wish though that we could very the increments of the speed-brake like a Boeing.

All in all it is a fine plane. It has never done me wrong and I have fun flying it. More over, it pays my bills. And, like I always say, I don;y fly an airplane I fly a pay-rate :).

Capt. Caucasian said:
Some corrections:

The Systems in the E145 are completely different from the Brazillia's. Most were actually designed by Boeing engineers. The Hydraulic system is almost identical to the 737's minus the third standby. Almost everything is automatic including the FADECs. I flew the 737-200 and now the E145. As far as systems go, I would take the E145. Much easier airplane to fly.

The gear handle is small because that is all that it needs to be. It is mearly an electrical switch instead of a hydraulic one. It sends a signal to the landing gear computer which then actuates the gear.

The dual FMSs are forward of the throttles. Express has about 75 planes with the rearward single FMS. The next 200 have them up front. Now I am sure someone is going to talk smack about the RMUs being on the front panel. That is because they are mini EFIS backup instruments as well. They display EICAS data as well as their own HSI.

You have to push the tiller down to engage nosewheel steering because the system is "steer-by-wire". Yes, it does get to be a pain in the arse, but otherwise not a big deal. Also, the spoiler handle is also electronic. I really do wish though that we could very the increments of the speed-brake like a Boeing.

All in all it is a fine plane. It has never done me wrong and I have fun flying it. More over, it pays my bills. And, like I always say, I don;y fly an airplane I fly a pay-rate :).

Capt. Cauc.

The E120 was also worked on by some Boeing engineers. If you look at the E120 cockpit setup and panels you'll see a great similarity between the Brasillia and the fluff.

I was merely pointing out in my post that the systems of the E135/145 are almost the same as the E120 with just some modern touches like FADEC and other automated features. Believe it or not the E120 was quite an automated machine, they just got beat'in to hell.

Believe me I am not ragging on the ERJ, the CRJ is nothing more than a stretched corporate jet, yours is a stretched Brasillia with turbo-fan engines.

Cheers!

dvmthwsvan said:
2/3 is actually 66.6%, but whatever

I will admit that I hate how low the windows are. But the CRJ is better. Like your mom once said, "It's all about the girth."

Your mom told you that?

chperplt said:
I think he was inferring that your mom told him that.

Oh I see my mom was lecturing him about his small girth?

So we are arguing over an ERJ built in the country where the country can't feed them self and CRJ well ok its made in Canada. Why are we arguing??????? Shouldn't we be happy having a job now day and age(with a fair contract, of course).

Last edited:
Who really cares which is better? I just fly what pays the bills (or fails to do so usually).

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back