• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ vs. ERJ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The yellow things are called VORTILONS and they are there to energize airflow over the ailerons at low speeds and high AOA (even the mighty Gulfstream IV has them). It was either that or go with roll spoilers and that would have been more complexity than the airplane needed. They are not YELLOW on the Legacy.

Intercepting the LOC is easy. Just go to CAT II mode (set both RAs below 200 Feet and have both NAV 1 and NAV 2 tuned to the ILS/LOC). In my experience, particularly on the 140--and this may just be a fluke--the airplane flies the LOC a bit tighter in CAT II mode. Again, it may just be perception rather than reality, but try it on for size...

Last edited:
Cloudroller, actually the 700 is a stretch 200. The reason that is has a belly cargo is that the fuselage sits on top of the wing assembly as opposed to the wing passing though the fuselage on the 200. Ever notice the the 700 sits nose low? This is also why the windows are not so low in the 700 since the floor has been lowered because the wing isn't the way. The 700 goes .84 is because the fuselage has nothing to do with bigger engines.

I must say, if I was given a choice I would take the ERJ over the CRJ 200. The CRJ 200 has no power, once you get up at the 20's the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** thing hardly climbs! Plus the ERJ lands like a real airplane with a bit higher nose attitude, the CRJ200 lands almost at a nose down attitude. When was the last time you saw a CRJ200 approach with a small flare??? it's a fun airplane, but the ERJ looks like a blast.The ERJ looks like a bullet with engines, plus the CRJ has the same engines as the Challenger!!! what kind of a SHI*** desing is that. They should've atleast given the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** thing some bigger engines!

Crossky said:
The ERJ is a little flimsy, ever notice the horizontal tail vibrating in an MD-80's exhuast wake while in line for TO? Shades of Tomahawks.

The elevator doesn't shake because it's flimsy, it moves due to the "slack" permitted by the tensioners on the cables.

LegacyIIDriver said:
The yellow things are called VORTILONS and they are there to energize airflow over the ailerons at low speeds and high AOA (even the mighty Gulfstream IV has them).

The are there to energize the airflow UNDER the ailerons not over. They control span wise airflow. Any airflow OVER a wing would be aided by vortex generators.

LegacyIIDriver said:
It was either that or go with roll spoilers and that would have been more complexity than the airplane needed.

It's a weight issue not a complexity issue.

Crossky said:
Haven't flown the ERJ, but the CRJ isn't the easiest to hand fly. Roll rate is nuts, and it's hard to trim out hands off, the null zone when trimmed is 1" play in the column. I've been told that 737's are easier. But, a jet is not a C172 or a Beech 1900, so we shouldn't expect it to fly like it.

I can honestly say that I really don't enjoy hand-flying the CRJ at all. It has a numb feeling that makes hand-flying more of a chore than a pleasure. I was hoping this impression would wane as I gained experience in the airplane, but it hasn't. But, it almost pays the bills and I'm not flying for fun anymore, so I'm content.

Josh M.

Last edited:
The ERJ is actually "fun" to hand-fly. The elevator is completely manual, so the pitch feedback is direct. At low altitudes you can trim it hands-off with no sweat. Kinda feels like a big Baron in pitch.

Don't get me started on "George" tracking the LOC, or any VHF-based nav for that matter.....

I second the motion about that sloppy null zone for the CRJ in pitch trim. I can't compare it with any swept wing jet mind you, as the lions share of my jet time was the DoJet, which was much quicker to trim, IMO, although some of our birds were so beat up over the years that they also required an awful lot of ailron and rudder trim too.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back