Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dvmthwsvan said:
2/3 is actually 66.6%, but whatever

The forward seats by the galley do not have opposite aisle counterparts. The percentage is higher thant 67%. Do I have to get a diagram of the layout and a calculator?

Didn't an ERJ break in half one time during a landing?

JetPilot_Mike said:
Didn't an ERJ break in half one time during a landing?

Yeah, after exceeding the design load by seven times.

The airplane taxied off the runway with no fatalities and only a few minor injuries.

The Rate of Descent at "touchdown" was over 3500'/min.

There are a number of guys on here that have flown both....I'm sure it would be much easier to say which one is better, having flown both.

Hey, LegacyIIDriver. The CRJ700 is not a streched 200 - not even close. I am sure your looking it up right now. And if your not - go look it up. Last time i checked it had belly cargo, And it has no problem doing .84 all day long.

LegacyIIDriver said:
Yeah, after exceeding the design load by seven times.

The airplane taxied off the runway with no fatalities and only a few minor injuries.

The Rate of Descent at "touchdown" was over 3500'/min.

Mesa did it once but it didn't break off (tail strike, the crew passed it of as good (night time post flight)and the next crew noticed it. The ERJ is a little flimsy, ever notice the horizontal tail vibrating in an MD-80's exhuast wake while in line for TO? Shades of Tomahawks.

Hey what are those strakes (and what are they for) on the outer leading edge of the wing painted yellow? I'm glad they're painted, otherwise they could impale some poor Eagle FO and put him out of his misery. JK, y'all do a good job.

ERJ: lots more seat room, width and legroom, better windows too.

Better Avionics and Cockpit: CRJ, but can the ERJ do true VNAV or just advisory like the CRJ? One other thing the CRJ could do better is intercepting and transitioning from FMS NAV to LOC/GS NAV. To intercept with wind correction you have to intercept with white needles (FMS) and then switch to green (LOC/GS), otherwise you have fun watching george figure the WCA. Does the ERJ auto transfer from 'white to green' on an ILS?

Haven't flown the ERJ, but the CRJ isn't the easiest to hand fly. Roll rate is nuts, and it's hard to trim out hands off, the null zone when trimmed is 1" play in the column. I've been told that 737's are easier. But, a jet is not a C172 or a Beech 1900, so we shouldn't expect it to fly like it.

Yes, the ERJ has the same problem intercepting the LOC with a little bit of wind. My solution is to use Heading mode and shallow out the angle if able, or I hand fly it. And as far as hand flying, I think it is very easy to get it trimmed up and fly hands off (if you really wanted too :)).

Now, I am all for simplicity so I like the fact that we only have five screens. That is just less stuff they can ask you on an oral. But that is just personal preference. As far as comfort in our cockpit, I think it is better than the 737-200 and yes I have flown both. However, if the seats are old then the cushioning gets pretty darn flat. Also, the seats recline ALL the way back.

And, those yellow vortilons are there for low speeds since there are not any LE devices. I have heard that the FAA required them to be yellow so no one gets impaled on them.

Its all just personal preference though. Notice that I did not compare the ERJ to the CRJ. Since I have never flown the CRJ I am unable to comment.

Cloudroller said:
Hey, LegacyIIDriver. The CRJ700 is not a streched 200 - not even close. I am sure your looking it up right now. And if your not - go look it up. Last time i checked it had belly cargo, And it has no problem doing .84 all day long.

I am speaking in terms of passenger comfort. It is just as cramped and miserable in back as the 50-seater is.

Anyone can tell by looking at the landing gear alone that there were changes made to the airplane. But it's still an uncomfortable tube with more seats. The ERJ is roomier and the 170 simply blows it away.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back