• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ Guys turn

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What ever happened to good old fashioned piloting? You want to go faster, push the thrust levers to the desired power setting. You want to slow down, set a fuel flow to achieve the desired speed. Is that too much for you guys or is it just that you want to b!tch about how much better your last airplane was than these things?

I think you slightly missed the point there chief.

Death by Canada. Enough said.

Complicated in the fact that it can't do ANYTHING until you give it information. In flight, why can't it be like most every other airplane? You want cruise power, pull the levers back and let the FADEC do the rest. You want more power, push them up and let the FADEC do the rest.

Also, a go around is a total cluster with that thing. Push the levers up, make sure the PNF pushes the right buttons. If the detent is weak and you accidently go past it on the TO run, oh well. We'll have to wait until climbing to do anything about it. How many times in an XR have you hit the climb button TWICE only not to see the "E Climb" icon on the EICAS?

If you have ever flown a plane with a real FADEC, you will know what I am talking about.

Yeah, the ERJ has a few neat bells and whistles, but the FADEC light isn't exactly one of them. It's overly complicated and takes too much managment to be called that.

Don't know what you're talking about, chief, but short of autothrottles, the EMB's FADEC is about as user-friendly as it gets. It doesn't have TO, climb or cruise detents, but the buttons right below the levers seem to work just fine.

I can only think of two times in five years it's gone past the detent on me into TO RSV. And we don't have the XRs, but whenever I've hit CLB, I've gotten CLB. Period.

It's true that, when you're at cruise at FL370, you may have to pull the thrust levers a bit out of the detent to keep from overspeeding. I suspect that's not a problem in the Slo-Jet.

Last edited:
Don't know what you're talking about, chief, but short of autothrottles, the EMB's FADEC is about as user-friendly as it gets. It doesn't have TO, climb or cruise detents, but the buttons right below the levers seem to work just fine.

I can only think of two times in five years it's gone past the detent on me into TO RSV. And we don't have the XRs, but whenever I've hit CLB, I've gotten CLB. Period.

It's true that, when you're at cruise at FL370, you may have to pull the thrust levers a bit out of the detent to keep from overspeeding. I suspect that's not a problem in the Slo-Jet.

Wow, you sure got a little sensitve about the fact that the system in the ERJ isn't the most Buck Rogers out there.

Like I said, if you have ever a flown a plane that has an actual FADEC, you will know what I am talking about. I'm guessing you haven't.

Next time you go to the bar make sure you tell the ladies you are an RJ pilot, no, better yet, RJ Captain. Not only that, tell them that your RJ can blaze away at .78 and the there is no way the "slow jet" can even touch you in the cruise. Let me know if it gets you any there, chief.

Just curious...but does the DoJet have what you'd call a real FADEC? I'd say your complaints are about how the pilot interfaces with the sytem rather then how the system controls the engines.

And no, I can't say I've had problems getting the button twice into E-Climb. Maybe you were doing an E-TO when you hit the button twice sending it to CLB mode rather than E-CLB? I know that's a common oops but not a biggy.

Just curious...but does the DoJet have what you'd call a real FADEC? I'd say your complaints are about how the pilot interfaces with the sytem rather then how the system controls the engines.

And no, I can't say I've had problems getting the button twice into E-Climb. Maybe you were doing an E-TO when you hit the button twice sending it to CLB mode rather than E-CLB? I know that's a common oops but not a biggy.

It doesn't need to be told anything, it's smart enough to know temp, ice on or off, as well as if its reduced thrust or not. It uses detents. Put the lever in the appropriate detent and it does the rest. If you had to taxi out and shut down, you didn't have to re-input any data. It knows everything already. I know, it's not a big deal to have to do it on the ERJ, just seems silly that it can't contol the engine and have "Full Authority" until you tell it.

In the 4 1/2 years I flew the airplane, I only knew of one case where the FADEC ever shut an engine down, ONE. I asked the guy what it was like, it happened in intitial climb out. He said two things, 1) it was easier than in the sim 2) instead of climbing at 5000 fpm it was only climbing at 1800 fpm at VSEC (VFS in that plane).

Latest resources

Back