• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Crash off Miami beach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A similar accident happened to a Grumman Mallard in St. Croix harbor in 1986.

The cause of the accident was that the aileron cables had been rubbing the insulation from the generator main feed cable.
When the metal finally made contact, shortly after take-off, the current snapped the aileron cable and they lost control and dove in.
Pax and crew survived the impact, but one woman drowned.

Don't remember if it was a turbine Mallard or a piston one.

Sombody once said that half the Mallards ever built have crashed over the years...Not sure if that is a fact or not.

As for the PT-6 having problems: Don't know about that. I got 2000 hours on PT-6s and found them as reliable as a hammer.

aeronautic1 said:
The PT6 cannot be ruled out as it is notorious for problems.

Care to be more specific? Military trainers use the PT-6 and don't seem to have an inordinate amount of accidents attributed to the engine.

aeronautic1 said:
18 pax with holiday luggage, gifts, supplies etc... you know this airplane was at max gross or more.

Guys, Aeronautic is an idiot. Check his old posts, he's the same guy who thinks 35K is good pay for a Galaxy pilot...nuff said.

obviously he has the same knowledge about PT6s and W&B as he does his own worth.

19 people dead 3 hours ago and he's already made the NTSB report and pinned it on the pilots.

JACKOFF.

Last edited:
Hey Aeronautic,
Could you please enlighten all of us with PT-6 experience about the "problems" with the it? IUn my recollection there has never been a reported case of either an uncontained engine fire or catastrophic turbine failure. I could be wrong, but thats what I was told in my training.
Regardless, I wouldn't begin to speculate about the cause. I think it is more important to focus on the loss to the families involved. A very sad day.

The basic PT-6 was designed to pump oil out of the ground while running continuously for 10,000 or more hours. Keep the fuel tank full, make sure there's oil, and it will run.

RIP to all involved. Very sad news.

But of course Scary Mary is putting in her 2 cents worth

Aeronautic

Kaman said:
Hey Aeronautic,
Could you please enlighten all of us with PT-6 experience about the "problems" with the it? IUn my recollection there has never been a reported case of either an uncontained engine fire or catastrophic turbine failure. I could be wrong, but thats what I was told in my training.
Regardless, I wouldn't begin to speculate about the cause. I think it is more important to focus on the loss to the families involved. A very sad day.
I would also like to enlighten on all the uncontained engine fires or turbine blade failures.If you have ever attended FlightSafety International that is one of the most reliable engines on the market and there was never a catastrophic turbine failure or engine fire associated with a PT-6 engine.Sounds like a classic case of open mouth and insert foot.

aeronautic1 said:
"I know that if the my buddy did the weight and balance, it was good to go."

You obviously have never worked for any Florida to Bahamas operator. Over gross is a way of life.

I still stand by my speculation that it was a wing failure. The PT6 cannot be ruled out as it is notorious for problems.

Speculate? Sure. Why should WSVN have all the fun.

BTW... my prayers to the crew, passengers and their family. There is a God, obviously.

You're a moron.

There are certain people in this world that hold themselves and the others around them to higher standards. The reason the copilot isn't where I work anymore is for that very reason. So when I say that airplane wouldn't have taken off overloaded, as long as the BOW he was given was good, then I mean what I say. PD is the type of person who would have walked off the aircraft rather than subject himself and his passengers to an overloaded or out of C.G. aircraft.

The last two sentences don't cover up for the first part of your message. If you were a professional, you wouldn't be speculating. @$$hole.

Latest resources

Back