• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Crash off Miami beach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My full respects and sympathies to the pilots, families and friends as well as the passengers. It is unfortunate that this stuff happens.

I have about 1100 hours PT-6 PIC time, all out of South Florida to the bahamas. The PT-6 is known to be an extremely reliable engine. However there is one thing to note. There have been problems w/ the exhaust outlets and fittings on the pt-6. From my experience with the Caravans I flew we did have a few problems w/ the exhaust fittings, I think one may have come close to burning off. I'm not sure where exactly the fuel tanks are on the Grumman but it would interesting to see where they are in relation to exhuast provided there was some exhaust failure.

One other thing I would like to mention. I thought it was very interesting that a government official said the crash was not terror related less the half an hour after the crash happened. Engines don't just blow up and wings don't just fall off, now thats according to some credible witnesses but who knows. How could someone figure out that it wasn't not terror related less than half an hour after the crash. It is more than likely not terror related but why would the government say that so quickly. Maybe they don't want people panicking during the holidays w/ airline travel. I don't know, just something to think about.

edited for language, sanity and out of respect for the folks that died today.

Aeronautic1, you have only one more chance at normal posts before you are done for, my friend. Please play nice.

EF

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of the W/B CG being within limits, it could come into play. Don't want to speculate, but odds are that the plane was close to MTOW with a full load of bags and pax, that certainly could come into play if the airplane had structural failure or hit some submerged object on the takeoff roll.

It's certainly a very sad incident (as is any aircraft accident), and my thoughts go out to those affected. If anybody has access to (or finds) a passenger/crew manifest, please PM me. I would like to add this accident to my accident memorial page.

http://aviation.crosswindlanding.com/remembrance.htm

VampyreGTX said:
I just can't believe the unsympathetic posts that I've been seeing more and more of on here.

Unfortunately many of the people here have something wrong w/ them mentally. Aeronautic1 is obviously a mental defective.

AIR2MUD, my condolences. Let us know how it goes and if you need anything.

aeronautic1 said:
edited for language, sanity and out of respect for the folks that died today.

Aeronautic1, you have only one more chance at normal posts before you are done for, my friend. Please play nice.

EF

Aeronautic1, stop being a tool and quit spurting out such haphazard and ignorant thoughts and speculating/second guessing the pilots, the engines, the weight and balance etc. Nobody cares about YOUR professional findings here at all and if you could just shut your trap that would be great. Let the NTSB determine the facts and report their findings.

My prayers go out to all those deceased and their families involved. A terrible thing to happen to anyone.....

Last edited:
No PT6 problems? Lucky I guess.

Yeah, PT6's are problematic. That's why they're the choice of several manufacturers and operators in a variety of derivatives. Tool. I've experienced a failure in a sel turbo prop and was lucky enough to land back at the departure airport with no airframe damage. Does it change my attitude towards them? No way and I look forward to many more hours behind them.
Now the news is showing home video of the crash. Looks like wing failure. Very sad. Peace.

I also used to work with PD, along with AIR2MUD. He was a good man (as is AIR2MUD), and his integrity was unquestioned. He was very happy to be flying for Chalk's, and I am stunned by this tragic event. Whatever the results of the investigation, we have all lost 2 fellow aviators, and several other families will grieve this week instead of celebrating what is supposed to be a season of happiness.

My prayers are with the families.

Nothing but blue skies now, Paul.

I find some of the posts on this thread to be disgustingly unprofessional and insensitive. I have been a faithful member of flightinfo for a few years, tried to contribute where I could, and learned a TON from some of the members here. Unfortunately lately, this place has taken a severe turn for the worse. I had taken no position in the little "rebellion" that took place here in recent weeks, but with disgusting pukes like these, the other side is looking better and better every day.

My heart is broken for each one of these families. As a father, I can't stop thinking about those chilldern on board, who were probably so exited to be flying on such a unique airplane to a tropical island for a week of gifts, happiness and sharing love with their family. I pray for their souls and their families.

As we said before, we are only one flight away from this happening to us. Cherish your loved ones and FLY SAFE!

My heartfelt thoughts and prayers to the families of those involved. Couldn't have happened at a worse time of year.

Tragedies such as this serve as a reminder to all of us that we are playing for keeps. Let us use this as an opportunity to remind ourselves that human life is precious beyond all measure and that every time we push the thrust levers up we're taking responsibility for it all. There but for the grace of God (Or for you aethiests; a gigantic chunk of luck and good karma) go all of us.

Remember and hold dear the memories of those Aviators we once counted as friends but are now gone. They fly on with us every time we strap ourselves into an airplane, and we are enriched for having flown with them. If we are truly vigilant and introspective, the circumstances of their demise are recognized as tools to allow us to become safer and more effective, disciplined Aviators.

Rest in peace guys.

Anybody care to post the names of friends now lost to us?

I'll go first.

1Lt Robert Weinman
Keith Trahan
Jerrod Katt

I won't forget.

Last edited:
Hello,
AW3 Michael "Boomer" Bumanglag lost at sea 1984 SH-2F
AW3 William Martnie lost at sea 1985 SH-2F

Both of these young men, barely out of their teens made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. And, many others that are still "on patrol".

Hopefully, some good will come out of this latest accident and we can all learn something that will prevent it from happening again.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Latest resources

Back