• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Courtesy in the skies is gone, frequent fliers say

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I had a conversation with the passenger next to me the other day about seat comfort. They were complaining about the seat width. Also how airlines were making the seats smaller and smaller. After 15 minutes of hearing this. I finally answered her. That the B737 was designed over 60 years ago. And when it came out of the factory for first time. It had six seats in each row. I asked her how many the current aircraft had in each row. She answered six. So if when the last time you flew on this type of airplane it had six seats in each row and that Boeing has not made the aircraft any narrower. Then the seats must be the same width. So there is only one thing that has changed since the last time you sat in that seat.

But the Boeing seat is narrower than the bus.17" v 18".

As a matter of history, the New York Central railroad determined (back in the 1940's) that 18" was the MINIMUM seat width for passenger comfort on its then new streamlined passenger cars.

No doubt though, Americans are trying to squeeze more rump into too little seat.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Agree with most of it, but not this one:

Leaving a window shade open when everyone else has closed theirs and is trying to sleep.
Sorry, traveler, but this isn't your bedroom. If you need darkness, bring an eyeshade.

Agree with most of it, but not this one:

Sorry, traveler, but this isn't your bedroom. If you need darkness, bring an eyeshade.

Turn on your reading light. I'm trying to watch the movie. There's nothing to see outside anyway. There's always one on every flight. :)

I do travel as a passenger pretty often between US and Europe, I do so hate that person who opens their windowshade even though all are trying to get some sleep in that "short" night.

"I wonder why all the shades are down except mine?"

I hate it when a business traveler acts like a jerk to you when you are in uniform and are non-reving in the back. Mostly because he/she knows you can't defend yourself.

I hate the people who have to grab your seat for support to get in and out of their seat waking you up. Then the ones who have to use your seat like a handrail when walking down the aisle.

If you've got the stones to do it then as soon as the plane is parked and the seatbelt sign is off then hit your recline button. When the guy behind you grabs your seatback they go flying. Very satisfying, but be warned.... It's obvious you screwed the guy and you'll be sitting there for another 5 minutes waiting to deplane.

Sun in the face, I totally agree -- don't blind people. But other than that, a lot of people, me included, like to watch the world go by out the window.

You guys don't have to worry about me, though; I always get an aisle seat if I can, so you can carry on staring at your glowing rectangles unimpeded. :)

I hate it when a business traveler acts like a jerk to you when you are in uniform and are non-reving in the back. Mostly because he/she knows you can't defend yourself.

Had a business traveler complain to me while I was in uniform that I was allowed to board first. I was a reserve pilot and the flight I'd be operating would be waiting on me fully loaded when I landed. He was aggressive and trying to shame me for clearly breaking a rule in his mind.
I asked him if he worked for SWA's scheduling department?
'No? Then I believe you are assuming a lot. Now if you would like this particular seat, I am more than happy to move for you, but it is important that I sit near the front of the plane.'

He never retreated from his aggressive opinion. He didn't want my seat, but he sees it all the time and I should be ashamed that I boarded first.

Somewhere in the mix I just smiled and nodded and read my book.
Some people just have to control everything, even when it's literally not their business.

Ahh yes if I can count how many times I heard the "Do you know who I am?" comment from the frequent business traveler... I always responded with "a regular passenger just like the rest of us"

Latest resources

Back