Countdown to the CAL/UAL TA -- 45 days to go

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All expectations were met.

With that mid-October target now upon us, we have assessed our progress to date, as well as considered the tone and nature of negotiations. We have thoroughly weighed the pros and cons of filing an application for mediation with the NMB as outlined in the TPA. Using this information, and in agreement with the Company, we have determined that it is in our best interest NOT to petition the NMB at this time.

New Target Date. We will continue to meet as anticipated through the end of 2010. If no tentative agreement is reached by Dec. 15, 2010, the parties have agreed that they will apply to the NMB for mediation by Dec. 17, 2010, unless the parties agree otherwise.

Last edited:
After all the bravado, they know claim it's not management's fault that they were distracted by Anti-Trust concerns. What a bunch of freaking dopes...:rolleyes:

What happened to the trump card of CAL not being able to join Star Alliance, Merge, etc. without a new contract in place with the pilots? Is this what has been pushed to Dec 17th? That was all I heard about last year, now no one is mentioning it.

What happened to the trump card of CAL not being able to join Star Alliance, Merge, etc. without a new contract in place with the pilots? Is this what has been pushed to Dec 17th? That was all I heard about last year, now no one is mentioning it.

We merged.....

We still have it as we are still under our current contract. CALALPA is simply very weak. They have no clue of the pulse of the standard line pilot. We have power, but our weak a$$ joke of a union refuses to use it. We don't want to disrupt unity and good relations with management now do we? We'd lose free tickets to Astros games and free greens fees at some of the best golf courses in Houston.

CAL ALPA's slippery slope of leverage where accountability and results are always reduced to 'Working Together.'

CAL ALPA always delivers what management wants. 28 years has not changed CAL's scab mentality.

I'll tell you this. in my mind ALPA at the "new" United is on thin ice. I will not hesitate to lead the charge to get ride of ALPA for good if they screw us with this JCBA. I mean seriously. Can you say anything positive about a union that forgave scabs simply to get the vote to bring ALPA back on property? No you can't! ALPA is for ALPA, not for pilots. I don't blame the scabs for anything at this point. I blame ALPA.

All the current UAL/CAL ALPA individuals who volunteered to stepped up to the positions of MEC, LEC, Committee members, etc. should be held responsible for their success and failures.

Hopefully it will go well and they will all be hero's. But if it goes the other way they should all be treated like zero's.

There are four corner stones and if significant improvements are not produced in: Scope, Compensation, Work Rules, and Retirement all responsible in our ranks should feel the personal heat of failure.

All the current UAL/CAL ALPA individuals who volunteered to stepped up to the positions of MEC, LEC, Committee members, etc. should be held responsible for their success and failures.

Hopefully it will go well and they will all be hero's. But if it goes the other way they should all be treated like zero's.

There are four corner stones and if significant improvements are not produced in: Scope, Compensation, Work Rules, and Retirement all responsible in our ranks should feel the personal heat of failure.

If they fail they should forever wear a giant "L" for "loser" on their shirts instead of wings. That way each of us who were screwed can walk up to them and kick them in the shins.

They have no clue of the pulse of the standard line pilot. We have power, but our weak a$$ joke of a union refuses to use it.

I couldn't disagree more. I haven't flown with a single pilot whose "pulse" is to do anything but git er done. I spent a four day trip this summer with one with the red wristband. Unbelievable. He bent over backwards a dozen different times to overcome obstacles that were not of his doing and none of his business, to get the planes out and in on time.

The reason the CEO has been heard to say "the pilots are happy" is because the planes are on time. As long as they are on time, the pilots must be happy. That's it, period. While UAL pilots have had an injunction against them to not withdraw enthusiasm, CAL pilots are "happy."

I actually believe the union is ahead of the pilots this time, but there isn't anything the MEC or NC can do when the company looks at the productivity metrics of the everyday line pilots and sees one of the most smoothly run operations in the industry (they were able to furlough 147 pilots because of it).

Leverage is what the line pilots provide to the NC to use. It isn't there and there's very little the NC can do without it.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back