Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Could Southwest's run of profitability be coming to an end?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just flew my last 3 day with a guy that is on the EFB development team. The current cost of Jepps is $1.8 milllion/annually and the cost of the EFB is $1.8. Right now they are a wash.

The bigger problems, as I'm told, is that:

A) Getting the Fed's to sign off on the program the way we want it.

B) Finding a vendor that will be around for a while, that can develop the EFB. Yes, Navaero is the ONLY pure EFB manufacturer. Some other Computer companies make an EFB, but not as their mainstay business.

C) Getting the data to the EFB. USB port/WiFi? Problems with both. The USB can be very finicky in terms of receiving data. And some airports won't lets us hang a transmitter near a gate so that we can update our EFBs. Nice....

D) Did I mention the Feds? They have all the same questions/concerns the pilots have... "I can't see my 10-2 and 10-9 at the same time. It's not safe!"

CAL is jumping into this with both feet, while we are more wary of putting something into the jets that we're not entirely satisfied/happy with.

While both schools of thought (CAL/SWA) have their merits, SWA is going to take the more conservative route on this. That is not to say CAL is wrong, sometimes you have to just get something rolling and go with it. And good for CAL, without taking a chance on something, how would anything get invented?

So, SWA is going to remain in the development stage(which is not the beginning stage) unitl costs offset, or until we're ready to roll out the signed/sealed delivered product.

He just glared at me, and then he said something along the line of 'that can't be true, our company has already looked at it.'

I really wanted to hand the guy a napkin to wipe the orange stain off his lips. I have found over the years with some friends of mine who are flying at SW that it is better not to even suggest that they could do something wrong or if you do, watch out!!

Don't you know, we are all jealous.

I'm sure WN is no different in that we have a few guys that do/think/say whatever the company line is. To them it can't be a good idea because "we" didn't think of it. All in all if it saves money we usually do it so I'd expect to see the EFB sometime in the future. It's all about low hanging fruit.

Gup

His ability to push some folks' buttons is nothing less than pure performance art. He is a rare and talented artist, and his handiwork creates long threads, angst, and grinding teeth.

Watching from afar, however, can be humorous...

Somebody "gets it".
We will get a raise with our new contract - Fact.

"......no one runs, no one races around...."

are you kidding??? have you seen the way you guys taxi??? or yet burn the crap out of your brakes to make some short turn off the runway???
Dude, last time I checked, it is hard to wear out the brakes parked at the gate.....The beacon off(parked) to the beacon on(parked).......so I see that you fly a career killer.....When are you going to get a real job, with real pay and real benefits.....******************************bag!!!!!!

You must be a joy to fly with. You are basically poking the pilots who are giving you a ride home in the chest and saying, "well, your airline must be stupid." I'm not surprised the Captain didn't react all that well.

Although, pilots at SWA are plenty frustrated with the glacially slow pace of technology adaptation around here sometimes. Management was promising the electronic flight bag when I started 4 years ago and apparently 2 years before that. I think you are correct that the cost will invert soon if it hasn't already.

Apparently Gary Kelly won't buy off on anything if it can't be proven to save money, like now, not 5 years from now. Presumably the current upfront costs of equipping 500+ airplanes with computers swamps the subscription savings for not having to get 5000+ annual jepp paper subscriptions.

But frankly, we are overdue on getting the autothrottles connected and VNAV turned on. We keep getting more complicated RNAV departures and arrivals with the below, above, below altitudes on there. those can be flown w/o VNAV but they weren't really designed to be and people make mistakes, or so I've been told. joke.

Don't recollect where I mention that I was speaking to the Captain, I wasn't, just another jump seating off duty SW pilot. I also didn't say or imply anything about his company, in fact all I really did was supply him the standard good natured plattitudes due when you do get a free ride.

But the reaction to my statement that JEPs were getting more expensive was rejoined by the notion that your management said otherwise so I must be mistaken. I have friends, yes friends, who work at SW. Where they will not hesitate to say things about my workplace, CAL, I had better watch what I say about ole orange.

Yep, I think that is what I said and posted. You would probably quite the joy to fly with yourself old buddy.

My bad. I assumed you were talking to the SWA pilots giving you a ride. Once again I learn of the dangers of assuming anything.

Mostly I agree with your sentiments that we're behind the curve on adopting the EFB.

And yes, I'm sure if the Captains had an avoidance bid I'd probably be right up there with the best of them.

Carl Sagan spoke at my college a few years ago. All I remember was the "billions and billions and billions." The acoustics sucked in the auditorium and he was a pretty crappy speaker to boot. I'm sure he's a smart man but his desirability as a lecturer left a lot to be desired.

Last edited:
Carl Sagan spoke at my college a few years ago. All I remember was the "billions and billions and billions." The acoustics sucked in the auditorium and he was a pretty crappy speaker to boot. I'm sure he's a smart man but his desirability as a lecturer left a lot to be desired.

Sagan has been dead for over 11 years!!! I guess when you are talking about "billions and billions and billions," a few years could be considered 11... :D

My bad. I assumed you were talking to the SWA pilots giving you a ride. Once again I learn of the dangers of assuming anything.

Mostly I agree with your sentiments that we're behind the curve on adopting the EFB.

And yes, I'm sure if the Captains had an avoidance bid I'd probably be right up there with the best of them.

Dang, he sure was good on TV. Are sure he didn't use a bunch of those $10,000 words and you just couldn't follow what he was saying?

Just kidding! Peace.

Somebody "gets it".
We will get a raise with our new contract - Fact.
We're going to hold you to that.
Your company is famous for running such a tight ship that the only thing there is left to cut is Salaries. You really think a RAISE is coming? Your company spent 20 years at the bottom of the heap and are only on top now because everyone else took a pay cut. Your pilot group has never negotiated an industry leading contract, yet you seem to think that because you are the default industry leaders that you will get a RAISE in the next round? I hope they don't charge you for the Kool-Aid, cause you're gonna need the money.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back