Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Could Southwest's run of profitability be coming to an end?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Half the countries in the world BBB? How many would that be? How was Giza? Any odors? I have doubts but set me straight. With some answers to these questions.

Half the countries in the world BBB? How many would that be? How was Giza? Any odors? I have doubts but set me straight. With some answers to these questions.

80+ at at last count Ben... perhaps I'm off by a few... can't wait for you to correct me.

The Great Pyramids of Giza... I'm sure you recall our little Somalia operation down there (Cairo East) under the first GB. Forte Grande, Mena House, Movinpick... ring any bells old fella? I'm sure you recall the local brew... Stella as I recall... cheap, but gave you one hell of a headache. Pasturized with formaldehyde I think... at least it tasted like it.

Odors? Ben... you sniffin' the locals butts? Not sure what you're getting at? I consider Egypt third world and only receive from someone's right hand... or is it left??? :p

Yes, the pyramids had a definite stench of urine. I was surprised... but not really... that they would drill support posts into the pyramid walls to secure the light stanchions... also disappointed to see the graffiti on the walls. Notwithstanding those comments, I was still in awe at the grandiosity of those structures. I'd really like to know how they built them. It's on my list of things to ask the Big Guy when I croak. Did get my dog tags gold plated there... have 'em somewhere... want to see them too? :D

BBB

Stella brings back memories of living in Brussels. Movinpick Geneve right on the lake was one of my favorites. All good times. Not enough to go back to night cargo, in my opinion, but good times none the less. To each his own I guess.

SWA may struggle with profitability at some point...But at least if and when it comes and if the company ever have to ask for help from their people, they will know it is not for the reasons that the rest of us have had to take it in the a$$.....That airline has figured out how to run an airline.....When I have large productivity breaks in the terminal I like to position myself where I can watch them at work.......It is an awesome sight......no one runs, no one races around....they just methodically turn a 737 in 15-20 minutes...beacon off to beacon on..... the people that work there are expected to give a good hard days work and they are paid for it.........They are firm and fair and that is all you can ask out of an employer.... if it comes down to a full on blood bath, they will be the last ones standing....I would be proud to serve in that unit and if they would ever hire pilots from AS, I would turn in the left seat tomorrow and go to work there........Face it, they are from top to bottom better at this game then all the rest of us sorry losers put together........

"......no one runs, no one races around...."

are you kidding??? have you seen the way you guys taxi??? or yet burn the crap out of your brakes to make some short turn off the runway???

Last, I counted 80 is not half of the countries in the world. Visiting third world countries is not high on my list anymore. Been there and done that. Egypt in the summer is one of the most odifirous (sp) countries in the world. Not a turn on. The camel piss at the pyramids is strong. Imagine the crowd at the Washington monument if the smells were the same. I find US hotels to be just fine and I prefer eating food inspected by the USDA not killed on the road and found dead. It is good that international is for you. It fills the gap left by me and my friends at SWA.

Last edited:
Recently I was commuting home on a SW flight and I mentioned that my airline CAL was going with the electronic flight bag and wondered if SW was going to do the same. He said that it was looked at but they couldn't get it to work on their laptops that they currently use.

I pointed out that we are at or near the point where the paper JEP's are going to be more expensive than the electronic stuff.

He just glared at me, and then he said something along the line of 'that can't be true, our company has already looked at it.'

I really wanted to hand the guy a napkin to wipe the orange stain off his lips. I have found over the years with some friends of mine who are flying at SW that it is better not to even suggest that they could do something wrong or if you do, watch out!!

Don't you know, we are all jealous.

"......no one runs, no one races around...."

are you kidding??? have you seen the way you guys taxi??? or yet burn the crap out of your brakes to make some short turn off the runway???

Lear Love,

I think the, " I hate my place of employment AND SWA" thread is located somewhere else....

Recently I was commuting home on a SW flight and I mentioned that my airline CAL was going with the electronic flight bag and wondered if SW was going to do the same. He said that it was looked at but they couldn't get it to work on their laptops that they currently use.

I pointed out that we are at or near the point where the paper JEP's are going to be more expensive than the electronic stuff.
Don't you know, we are all jealous.

You must be a joy to fly with. You are basically poking the pilots who are giving you a ride home in the chest and saying, "well, your airline must be stupid." I'm not surprised the Captain didn't react all that well.

Although, pilots at SWA are plenty frustrated with the glacially slow pace of technology adaptation around here sometimes. Management was promising the electronic flight bag when I started 4 years ago and apparently 2 years before that. I think you are correct that the cost will invert soon if it hasn't already.

Apparently Gary Kelly won't buy off on anything if it can't be proven to save money, like now, not 5 years from now. Presumably the current upfront costs of equipping 500+ airplanes with computers swamps the subscription savings for not having to get 5000+ annual jepp paper subscriptions.

But frankly, we are overdue on getting the autothrottles connected and VNAV turned on. We keep getting more complicated RNAV departures and arrivals with the below, above, below altitudes on there. those can be flown w/o VNAV but they weren't really designed to be and people make mistakes, or so I've been told. joke.

If I was the captain, I would have said, "Yeah, if we got paid what you guys get paid, SWA could have afforded EFBs years ago."

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back