Corporate Dorks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AZ Typed said:
Look at the military - they toss folks into F16s with low hours, too. Why does it work? PROCEDURES that are designed, taught, and practiced. It's the procedures that contribute significantly to the safety of the operation.
Training is probably a better word to use.
Procedures would be usless without the training. It's the money (I think 2M is the # per pilot) the military spends on a pilot to train him/her. That's why it works.

semperfido said:
how many in the one crew?

2 pilots no relief. The CP told me how they would take turns going to the crew rest station and take a quickie nap when they got tired.

Pathetic. :)

Lead Sled said:
Oh well, I'm so glad we got the airplane out of 135, I was beginning to get rusty.

'Sled

Amazing how good life can be!!! Congratulations!:D It will even get better when you go to HI without looking at the fuel gauge and you can stand up in galley pour yourself a cup of coffee. Or even better yet, have the FA get you a cup.

Cheers.

G100driver said:
2 pilots no relief. The CP told me how they would take turns going to the crew rest station and take a quickie nap when they got tired.

Pathetic. :)

i would have to agree with you. we do trips like you describe all the time, but we have three. two would not work. :)

G100driver said:
Amazing how good life can be!!! Congratulations!:D It will even get better when you go to HI without looking at the fuel gauge and you can stand up in galley pour yourself a cup of coffee. Or even better yet, have the FA get you a cup.
I've been there and done that. We're getting ready to do it again.

'Sled

Lead Sled said:
Once you've been through initial and have taken the type ride, recurrent training (for Part 91 operators) is "to proficiency" and the annual proficiency check is normally done "progressively" - meaning that the instructor/PPE simply checks off the boxes as you successfully demonstrate each maneuver during the training. The training for Part 135 and many Part 121 crews is different - you train to a specific syllabus then you take a sim check. I've been on the receiving end of both types of programs and the "train to proficiency / progressive check" seems to provide, point for point, the most training coupled with the best overall results. I understand that the FAA is allowing some 121 operaters the leeway to do what 91 operators have been doing for decades.

When I first started flying the airplane I currently fly, it was on a 135 certificate and we had to jumb through all of the hoops to get up and running on the certificate. I had an initial and something like 16 recurrents under my belt at the time. I didn't expect to have any problems at the check ride and I didn't, but I was really annoyed at the "process". It boiled down to this - the 135 guys follw a very specific training program and get what amounts to 2 days of practice in order to prepare for the checkride on the 3rd day. Part 91 guys get 3 days of training. The pilot proficiency check is done progressively. The bottom line is that dollar for dollar, there is absolutely no comparison between the training for 135 and 91 at the same school.

"Pure" 91 operators are only required to attend recurrent training annually, however, I know of few crews that "train to the minimums". The majority of crews attend recurrent on a 6-month interval. For the most part, operators of corporate jets train with one of two providers - FlightSafety or Simuflight. Both companies provide top notch training. (In fact, many airlines contract with FlightSafety to provide their training.) In addition to the specific aircraft systems and simulator recurrent training that we get, we also got company paid periodic training on many other things such as first aid and CPR, high altitude physiology and altitude chamber visits, weather radar courses, aerobatics and extreme unusual attitude recovery training, survival training, open water ditching, and international operations... The list goes on and on. Granted, the commercial operators are now being required to take some of these courses as well, but Corporate flight departments are typically not considered "profit centers" and typically there is a little more latitude for the consideration of advanced training. This is opposed to many (but not all) 121 and 135 operators where the training goal becomes one of complying with the various minimum requirements of the FAR's. Once that is done then it's off to the line.

Oh well, I'm so glad we got the airplane out of 135, I was beginning to get rusty.

'Sled

The 135 operator I work for now has our Training Program written so that we are required to train to proficiency, not a set number of hours. We also go to Simcom for initial training and once a year for recurrent. The company also provides additional training like you mentioned. All of the pilots are going to First Aid, CPR, and AED training later this summer.

Of course, I realize that not all 135 companies do things this way, and that in all reality, we're probably not the norm.

IF and WHEN a 121 operation is better than a 135 operations, it is because of the corporate culture, which always starts from the top.

A small 2 or 3 pilot operator has the most POTENTIAL to be unregulated because of the small 'gene pool' there. Some small pt 91 departments are, I'm sure, fabulously professional. Some,I'm also sure, are terrible.

The thing that makes 121 better overall is not the pilots but the way 121 is adminstrated. It is just plainly a lot more stringent, and the day-to-day operations are much more structured. OF COURSE it will be safer overall. You can get called in at hte last minute to fly, and have no worries because you will almost always be going to a large airport with long runways and radar service. What could be easier?

The real problem is that WHEN a pilot has a bit of cowboy in him, a 135 or 91 department is less likely to catch it and do something about it. Especially if he is chief pilot. He is maybe a little less dangerous at an airline only because there are more eyes watching him.

What we have here is the difference between the early citation series which had electric flaps,and the later models which have hydraulic flaps. the electric flaps have massive chain drives located in the floor near the lav. when the flaps are all the way up or all the way down there was major tension on the motor and chain drives . The flaps take off and aproach postion (ie.flaps 15) resulted in a lower tension stress on the flap drive motor and mechanisms. Rigging this monster was allways a pain in the back, I would rather take a beating then have to rig citation electric flaps!!! Thank God for Pascals Law

I would have to say in the hawker when we are turning or at an outbase for the day we leave the flaps at 15. I guess the main reason is we really don't have much taxi time between the ramp and the runway. Heck in PIT when you start the engines and turn right you are at the hold short ramp! Just my 2 pennies. It is easier to have the airplane pre configured than rushing at the end.

Latest resources

Back