Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
The video was shot live at an airshow in Marion, IL, with some shots edited in from an in the cockpit camera.

I'm surprised I didn't notice it was KMWA. I spent a lot of time through there with Trans States. Great video!

RV

twepilot said:
I'm surprised I didn't notice it was KMWA. I spent a lot of time through there with Trans States. Great video!

RV

I think a few shots may have been edited in from video shot at a practice aerobatic box in Pinkneyville, IL. That location is about 20NM NW of KMWA.

If this isn't the truth I'll take it back, but I've been around enough in this bizz to see:

another kid with daddy's $$$. I doesn't take special skills, just $$$. Its the simple truth.

LearLove said:
If this isn't the truth I'll take it back, but I've been around enough in this bizz to see:

another kid with daddy's $$$. I doesn't take special skills, just $$$. Its the simple truth.

This is an interesting question. I don't think you mean any offense, maybe so but I'll assume differently. So the question is: Given enough money what percentage of people could become pilots and eventually learn to fly a Pitts Special as in the video to an FAA Level I Unrestricted (Surface) aerobatic waiver?

Well first let’s look at what percentage of the general population could even learn to fly? I would guess 90% to a Private Pilot level, 75% to Commercial Pilot level, 60% to ATP level, and 50% to an ATP airline pilot level. Now as far as aerobatics are concerned that's something totally different. I would estimate that to safely be able fly a basic aerobatic routine in a Decathlon it would be 60%, in a Pitts the number is 20%. And to fly the advanced maneuvers in a Pitts as shown in the video 5%, and to fly those maneuvers to an FAA Level IV airshow waiver the answer is 4%, to a level III the answer is 3%, to a level II the number is 2%, and to an FAA Level I Unrestricted surface waiver in a Pitts Special as in the video the answer is 1%. That is my best guess.

So really it's a special skill to be able to fly as in the video and only 1% of the population has that ability. I can say that while I like to fly aerobatics, I am not one of the 1% that can earn a Level I waiver and fly a Pitts as in that video, no matter how much money is available. I do believe the 1% estimate is correct.

So while "LearLove" says it doesn't take special skills, just $$$, I know that isn't true. Money is necessary, but it's the skill more than anything else in this case.

Maybe others can comment on this too.........
Especially those with aerobatic experience, military, IAC or airshow waivers.

Maybe "LearLove" will be encouraged, as he says, to take back his comment if he's convinced t do so by other Board members.

Questions, comments are welcome.... :)

Last edited:
mcjohn said:
How do I get a practice aerobatic box where I live?

These are difficult to get because of noise and other concerns that people have. The first step is to contact the local FSDO for help and the proper paperwork. You should also contact the International Aerobatic Club (IAC) at IAC.org.

If you live in a rural area it will be much easier..

Last edited:
hey lear,

Your espousing that there is money over talent in this instance indicates your amateurish thought process as well as a complete lack of understanding of anything related to high performance aircraft. Further, your post indictes a level of jealousy that is outright boorish.

RV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back